Are you a golf snob?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some of the comments on here are very interesting. In this day and age, you will struggle to get on a good course for less than £40, especially down here in the south. I'm on a mission to play all of the top 100 so I accept that I'm going to have to dig deep to achieve it. Most of the courses in the list are a minimum of £75 a round and many well in excess of £100.

As for clothing, it is possible to look stylish and smart without spending a lot. Plenty of bargains to found online and in places like TKMaxx. Equipment wise, I have quality stuff but I tend not too change it very often. Current irons are over 2 years old and will stay in the bag for quite a while yet and I'm happy with my woods, wedges and putter(s).

So...am I a golf 'snob'? Yes when it comes to courses, no to everything else including playing partners.

Can't fault your logic Gordon - totally agree. Not too fussed about equipment or clothes, as long as they feel good, but do like playing on nice courses - but happily forego course quality for a fun game in good company

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
In the middle really. I've played some top courses and Lydd. I prefer to buy good clothes when they appear in the sales and buy decent equipment. I have been accused of "I knew you'd be the first to have it" when some gadget or new thing comes out.

I 'd play with anyone....... I've even played with Richart!! :ears:
Twice, and you chances of a third time are dwindling fast.:angry:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I sometimes think that the "anti-snob" is just as bad/worse than the snob! The type of person who is exceptionally proud that they only use old/cheap equipment, thinks they are "proper golfers" because of it, and that everyone who buys new items is ridiculous and wasting their money. Each to their own for me. As long as you don't think that whatever it is makes you better than everyone else, then do as you like!

You are correct of course - but it's your last statement that hits the nail on the head - quite accurately too. Problem is some folks do seem to give that impression. So to be safe I'd say - buy the new gear you want but unless asked do try keep it to yourself.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
This.
I buy good shoes but last year's design, to save money. The same with clubs. But only what I stand a chance of hitting ok. I don't keep nice whiney clubs if I can't use them. Designer clothes yes. But once again bought in the sales. I have polo's 10/15 yrs old, that still look new. Cheap ones only last the season if your lucky.
Will play with anyone as long as they are nice and polite. As for courses as long as they are in good Nick will play anywhere, as long as the price is reasonable.
Do have to watch the pennies being on a fixed income (pension).

Sir Scoop-A-Lot

Head Pro
Visit site
I like to have nice attire when golfing. My clubs are currently old but I am in the process of buying a bucket load of new gear. Courses, I want them to be in good nick. I usually aim for around £40 a round tops unless for something special.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Latest equipment - Nope, my clubs are good and cost me a lot of money, but I don't change regularly.
Designer label clothing - Clothes and shoes are my weakness so possibly fall a bit into the snob camp on that.
Courses - Nope, I'll play anywhere but if I don't like it, I won't go back no matter where it is.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
In truth - the golf snob for me is the golfer who seems to enjoy telling everyone about the fancy expensive courses he's played; golf holidays he's been on; how marvellous the new set of golf clubs are that he's just bought because the last lot weren't doing it for him - and all that guff. Keep it to yourself. I don't need or want to know.

Isn't that kind of what most golf magazines consist of? Oy GM, you bunch of snobs, shut it, we are not interested in the nice golf trips you've been on or the nice new clubs you have got access to;)

Plus this forum would be very dull if those subjects were off limits.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
In truth - the golf snob for me is the golfer who seems to enjoy telling everyone about the fancy expensive courses he's played; golf holidays he's been on; how marvellous the new set of golf clubs are that he's just bought because the last lot weren't doing it for him - and all that guff. Keep it to yourself. I don't need or want to know.

I've just been on a golf holiday to beautiful Northern Ireland, played some smashing courses, the clubhouses at RCD and Portrush are awesome. Used my new TaylorMade Speedblade irons and new Scotty putter to good effect - much better than than those Callaways I used to hit.

Just prior to the trip I played Cruden Bay - 70th best course in the World according to one of the American magazines, I'd certainly agree with their rating - it's definitely in my top ten course played worthily taking it's place alongside courses like The Old Course, Carnoustie, Loch Lomond, Royal Dornoch, North Berwick, Lahinch etc. etc. - played really well on the front nine at Cruden but struggled off the tee on the way back, how I wish I'd had my new TaylorMade SDLR mini driver for that nine - it's marvellous.

So by posting this I suppose I'm now a golf snob - despite wearing jeans most of the time on the course and never ever standing in the historically recognised correct position ;)

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I probably would be a snob with regards to the lastest equipment if I could afford to be, but I can't, so I'm not! I would rarely buy second hand, but would also never buy full retail either, last seasons gear at discounted price is my usual way, I will also shop around for the best deal, but would quite happily play with clubs for 5/6 years before thinking about a change. Clothes don't really bother me, as long as it looks ok, is comfy and fits its game on. As regards courses I have paid £100 green fees and hated it and paid £10 green fees and loved it, as long as it's in good condition and a good test I will play anywhere.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This.
I buy good shoes but last year's design, to save money.

Has anyone got any good sites/shops to look at for stocking last years designs? I like this approach, but have no idea where to look/how to work out if it's the current model or a previous one! I could do with new shoes!

JohnnyLarge

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm a bit late to the party but here goes!

I work at a 'glorified municipal'. I work on golf reception (take bookings, green fees, get buggies out etc) which is now located at one end of the bar. When not on golf duties, I serve beer, hot drinks, clean tables etc and earn £6.50 an hour full time job.
Green fees are £14 in the week, £19 weekends on the 18 holer. We have a 9 holer and a Pitch and Putt too. The company also have another 3 courses in Sheffield. Full access to all venues is £549. I get complimentary golf plus I get 30% staff discount on all food and beverages.
I play with a set of irons (not the ones in my sig at the moment) costing £90, Driver was £120 new, everything else second hand. even the Ping tour bag was £40 used and the Powercaddy I bought the other week was £60.
I have in my wardrobe, golf balls I have won/bought cheap including 2 doz Nike Platinum Tour, and various sleeves of Pro Vs, Callaway iX, TM Penta 3&5's, Z Stars etc.

I don't use the balls because I'm just as happy pegging up a second hand Srixon AD333 I've found, washed and bleached clean!
My waterproofs (Pro Quip) were won in a golf comp about 12 years ago. I wear Dunlop trousers(the posh Lee Westwood ones). Shirts are whatever were on sale last year in the pro shop when we had it. (I bought loads of decent ones in the clearance last year)
I totally begrudge paying over £20 for an 18 hole green fee when I have a superb layout at my home course for free. Condition isn't always brilliant but I'm happy there.

I may appear to be a bit tight but I've got a Wife and 2 kids to look after and I have no debt apart from my rent and utility bills.

Snob? Me?

Nah!

Dave1980

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can see where you are coming from but how do you know its better than your own place unless you play it?

Generally from recommendations and reputation, so could be missing out on hidden gems.

There are a few courses that I have played on society days with family, that I would not go back to even if some paid me!

alfieclarke

Hacker
Visit site
I like to think im a golf snob - but if i'm honest I wear all the top golf brands, but 99% of my gear, i've picked up in the sale.

I recently got my new Adidas golf shoes for under £50 on this website: http://www.function18.com/on-sale/footwear-on-sale.html

American Golf also normally have a good online sale, and http://www.sportsdirect.com/ always have a good few bargains on the website (i wouldn't go in store there, service is always awful!) so I suppose I am a golf snob in one way! :D

Rumpokid

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I work at a 'glorified municipal'. I work on golf reception (take bookings, green fees, get buggies out etc) which is now located at one end of the bar. When not on golf duties, I serve beer, hot drinks, clean tables etc and earn £6.50 an hour full time job.
Green fees are £14 in the week, £19 weekends on the 18 holer. We have a 9 holer and a Pitch and Putt too. The company also have another 3 courses in Sheffield. Full access to all venues is £549. I get complimentary golf plus I get 30% staff discount on all food and beverages.
I play with a set of irons (not the ones in my sig at the moment) costing £90, Driver was £120 new, everything else second hand. even the Ping tour bag was £40 used and the Powercaddy I bought the other week was £60.
I have in my wardrobe, golf balls I have won/bought cheap including 2 doz Nike Platinum Tour, and various sleeves of Pro Vs, Callaway iX, TM Penta 3&5's, Z Stars etc.

I don't use the balls because I'm just as happy pegging up a second hand Srixon AD333 I've found, washed and bleached clean!
My waterproofs (Pro Quip) were won in a golf comp about 12 years ago. I wear Dunlop trousers(the posh Lee Westwood ones). Shirts are whatever were on sale last year in the pro shop when we had it. (I bought loads of decent ones in the clearance last year)
I totally begrudge paying over £20 for an 18 hole green fee when I have a superb layout at my home course for free. Condition isn't always brilliant but I'm happy there.

I may appear to be a bit tight but I've got a Wife and 2 kids to look after and I have no debt apart from my rent and utility bills.

Snob? Me?

Nah!
Johnny, Are you by any means a member at Tapton?

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Snob? Me?

Nah!
good reply,a man after my own heart,who says you have to spend a fortune to enjoy playing.

simplyme

Head Pro
Visit site
I like to think I am 'middle of the road'

I have nice clothes, some expensive, some not. My clubs are pretty much upto date apart from the irons are about 3 years old. I play lots of courses in my society, we never spend more than £40 on a round though (unless we are on our jollies abroad) and I am happy to play anywhere, as long as there is a bar for beers after!