Where do you buy your golf clubs from?

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
All my current clubs (with the exception of driver & putter) were bought from a pro (Martin Heggie at Moortown GC). Matched online prices and does trade-ins based on Golfbidder valuations. Fitting was included. Driver was fitted post-purchase (shaft swapped and set up) FOC. Putter was just cos I fancied trying it, and as it's a Scotty I feel if I sell it on I won't be that much out of pocket based on what I paid.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What I am finding interesting about this thread is that whenever someone poses a question about a club the default answer from so many is to get fitted yet the answers here suggest that few of us do. Most buy blind, off the shelf. I feel better that I am not alone :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What I am finding interesting about this thread is that whenever someone poses a question about a club the default answer from so many is to get fitted yet the answers here suggest that few of us do. Most buy blind, off the shelf. I feel better that I am not alone :D
I would get fitted if I was buying new clubs, and have done. But new clubs are just too expensive. If someone out there started doing fittings for older reduced stock I feel like they'd do well as it's a big gap in the market.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'll be buying my new clubs through my Club's Head Pro. My reason - kind of obvious really - as he and my daughter have been together for some years now I might expect some 'favourable treatment' - if you get my drift - as well as unbiased and honest advice about what suits me, and importantly what I might expect to achieve in golf in the coming years. We'll see :)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
My current irons were bought from our club pro, he price matched the best I found elsewhere. Woods, hybrid, wedges, putter, shoes, balls all come from AG, as will my new Mizuno irons if I ever get a chance to try them, helps that my lad works there ;)

fowlero

Hacker
Visit site
For my irons and wedges I get custom fitted through our pro. He has a fitting studio, but also has a link with Wilson Staff as their warehouse is nearby, they also have a fitting studio with more options. Our pro gave me an amazing deal for Irons & wedges, I couldn't find them anywhere cheaper online plus I got mine custom fitted. There is also the added bonus of being able to use any shop credit from sweeps etc.

For woods, I generally pick these up second hand as I just refuse to pay the price for a brand new driver in particular (regardless of any potential custom fitting benefits). Performance gains are are marginal for a 2/3 year old driver vs a new one so I would generally have a hit with the 2nd hand ones at the driving range and see what suits me, if after a few months I don't like it there is still a reasonable sale value on it and I just get another one.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
My current set as per signature was purchased from.... (and the place of purchase of the previous equivalent club is shown in brackets)

Driver: Callaway Pre-Owned site (independent golf retailer after a fitting)
3-wood: Nevada Bobs (previously used a 2-wood sourced via ebay)
5-wood: Ebay (previously used a 4-wood purchased from American Golf)
7-wood: Callaway fitting event hosted at American Golf (replaced a hybrid purchased from AG's 2nd hand rack)
Hybrid: Callaway Pre-Owned site (American Golf)
Irons: Callaway Pre-Owned site and then tweaked by an independent fitter (independent golf retailer after a fitting)
Wedges: Online - Scottsdale Golf and tweaked by an independent fitter (ebay)
Putter: Nevada Bobs (ebay)

Basically I'm happy to spread my love around a number of retailers....I'm lucky that my local AG has a decent outdoor range attached to it and they've always been happy to let me take a few clubs out on the range to try in my own time...so I've always tried to give something back to them, even though I know I could get a club cheaper elsewhere.

Again the Callaway Pre-Owned site is something I've discovered this last year....you might pay a tad more than say Golfbidder but the standard of club v. description is excellent and like GB you can return it within a reasonable time....good choice as well on the Callaway Pre-Owned site.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Over the years I've used eBay, Golfbidder and GC4C. I have found in recent times that the latter two, while undoubtedly providing quality used gear, seem to also want a premium price, certainly more expensive now than when I started this lark..
They're both giving a bit less when buying gear too...J know they have to make money on things but their offers can be, let's say, less than generous.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments so far.

Are pro-shops by and large the same prices (if part of a buying group i'd imagine they are) as each other?
In this age where most things are online in terms of prices for things, I can't see any fitter or pro shop listing their prices online..

Is there a reason why?

You will find Pro shops listing on ebay. I actually sold something to one rather than the other way round this month.

There are some proshops that buy/sell as a group and a lot that are independent . Ours has tried both routes.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
PXG driver and putter fitted and sent direct to my house.
Went to Ping Gainsborough fitting for my irons through my pro.
Wedges Callaway through my pro.
Got 3/5 wood PXG of ebay.
My pro is very good if it’s the OEMs he stocks and is my first port of call.

D

Deleted member 21258

Bought from pro shops, online pro shop, online shop, American golf, argos, Nevada bobs(do they still exist!)off here, off gumtree and think ebay completes eveyrthing

aaajjj7589

Visit site
Clubhouse Golf for my Driver. When Lockdown ends and courses open again I'll be going for a Custom Fitting at my local Pro shop. Never had a fitting before so not sure on what to expect. I have a bit of uncertainty of what to expect etc and I also have an idea of the irons / wedges I want which they stock but presumably they'll fit me for the best clubs possible.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My current irons, (TM RS1's) were purchased from Blackmoor GC.
At the time I had an almost new set of Pings which I wasn't getting on with. Despite being "regular" shafts, they felt dead in my hand and I wasn't hitting them properly.
Whilst in the pro shop waiting to pay my green fee, I saw the RS's in there, picked the 5 iron up, had a waggle and thought "I can hit that".
Richard's pro was happy to do a deal which matched the internet prices so I went ahead and ordered.
I love 'em and have purchased the matching 4 iron and "Attack" wedge, but haven't attacked anybody with it yet.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use my credit in the pro shop when its built up, and I always try to support him. Id actually pay more to the pro, but not the amount he usually asks. His gear knowledge isn't great and he's always a lot higher than Clubhouse etc. The couple of times ive mentioned it he groans and makes me feel awkward and guilty.

I've used Snainton Golf a lot recently as they usually give a code for 10% off.

American Golf have really upped their game around here also and have 2 fantastic shops and facilities.

If price were no obligation and I wanted to treat myself , I'd head to Tour X golf in Wigan.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
everything i have has come from either my clubs Pro shop, or the guy i get lessons from n Inverness.

my loyalty is rewarded, if i ever want to try something he will lend me it to try on the course, tried quite a few irons and drivers from him