Are you a golf snob?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
S

Snelly

Some of the comments on here are very interesting. In this day and age, you will struggle to get on a good course for less than £40, especially down here in the south. I'm on a mission to play all of the top 100 so I accept that I'm going to have to dig deep to achieve it. Most of the courses in the list are a minimum of £75 a round and many well in excess of £100.

As for clothing, it is possible to look stylish and smart without spending a lot. Plenty of bargains to found online and in places like TKMaxx. Equipment wise, I have quality stuff but I tend not too change it very often. Current irons are over 2 years old and will stay in the bag for quite a while yet and I'm happy with my woods, wedges and putter(s).

So...am I a golf 'snob'? Yes when it comes to courses, no to everything else including playing partners.

Quite an interesting thread.

I think the definition of what a golf snob is varies from person to person and consequently, the question of whether someone is a golf snob or not is very subjective. By the definitions of some, I am most definitely a golf snob but against the subjective criteria of others, probably not.

For my part, I will play any course at least once and I will play with any golfer at least once as well. Thereafter I would have a choice to make and just because I would not want to play a course ever again, for example, Mid-Sussex at Ditchling, I don't think that makes me a snob but it does make me discerning about courses and whether I play them again. I don't decry anyone else for playing there though - each to their own.. That said, if three good friends invited me to play this course then I would probably say yes as I rate on-course company as a far more important consideration than venue, equipment or cost.

The one area of golf that I do definitely discriminate in relates to pace of play. For example, I just won't play in events where I know I am going to have to wait to play shots. I would rather be doing something else and find it very irritating to stand around during a round. Similarly, I would be very reluctant to play golf with someone who caused the game to drag. E.g. over-long PST, never ready to play, examining putts from every angle , 3 practice swings etc. This just winds me up and consequently, I can say without any hesitation that I am a "speed of play" snob.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone got any good sites/shops to look at for stocking last years designs? I like this approach, but have no idea where to look/how to work out if it's the current model or a previous one! I could do with new shoes!
T K MAXX they have racks and racks of golf clothing,GREG NORMAN collection seem to be the biggest range but i have bought ASHWORTH tops from there,they have trousers from £5 that look great and good quality,for golf shoes any web site offers last years designs and lets face it your feet will never know the difference.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
May be it's a sign that I spend too much money on golf stuff, but I get at least 3 emails a day from various internet golf shops saying something is in offer etc etc.