Are some golf clubs OTT?

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
www.johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
A friend of mine has recently joined a new club. It's a "traditional" club and he joined at the same time as a mate of his. They had to go through the interview process and play 9 holes with a committee member before being offered membership. They have been at the club a couple of months, haven't yet played in any comps but that isn't particularly unusual as they joined in February and the course had been suffering in the inclement weather like a lot of other clubs in the area. So they've played weekend social golf with each other for the couple of months that they've been members. But they both intend to play in plenty of comps just as they did at their previous club.

Anyhow, both of them have now received a letter from the club saying that the "Committee and Members" are disappointed that they had not sought to play with other members and are concerned that they are not integrating into the club.

Now I've only heard this story from his side and I haven't seen the letter but my friend is hopping mad and has written back to the club offering to resign his membership if they return his joining fee and the balance of his annual subscription. He did run into the committee member who he had played his interview round with, the committee member claimed to know nothing of the letter and seemed surprised that such a letter had been sent at all.

Does any club have the right to dictate when and with who you should play your social golf?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A friend of mine has recently joined a new club. It's a "traditional" club and he joined at the same time as a mate of his. They had to go through the interview process and play 9 holes with a committee member before being offered membership. They have been at the club a couple of months, haven't yet played in any comps but that isn't particularly unusual as they joined in February and the course had been suffering in the inclement weather like a lot of other clubs in the area. So they've played weekend social golf with each other for the couple of months that they've been members. But they both intend to play in plenty of comps just as they did at their previous club.

Anyhow, both of them have now received a letter from the club saying that the "Committee and Members" are disappointed that they had not sought to play with other members and are concerned that they are not integrating into the club.

Now I've only heard this story from his side and I haven't seen the letter but my friend is hopping mad and has written back to the club offering to resign his membership if they return his joining fee and the balance of his annual subscription. He did run into the committee member who he had played his interview round with, the committee member claimed to know nothing of the letter and seemed surprised that such a letter had been sent at all.

Does any club have the right to dictate when and with who you should play your social golf?

I could understand the pro, or someone else, trying to help them to integrate into the club and make the most from their memberships by helping to facilitate playing with other people.

I don't understand where the club is coming from if that truly is what the letter says. In particular, the "disappointed" comment.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nothing to get mad about, unless expulsion was threatened.

Sounds like a harmless letter to encourage new members to become active in the club.

This is something more clubs should do, maybe the tone or method was wrong but the intent may not have been.

I would have written back asking for information on any free events or their efforts and incentive ms to help members get to know one another.

If however a member chooses not to then that is fine too, which the club should respect.

Only if a serious breach of some kind is discovered should a club take strong action.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sounds like an overreaction on the part of your mates, sure a letter might come accross a bit crass in current times but maybe they are just trying to make sure they are doing alright.

Depends what the letter says exactly mind.

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
Nothing to get mad about, unless expulsion was threatened.

Sounds like a harmless letter to encourage new members to become active in the club.

This is something more clubs should do, maybe the tone or method was wrong but the intent may not have been.

I would have written back asking for information on any free events or their efforts and incentive ms to help members get to know one another.

If however a member chooses not to then that is fine too, which the club should respect.

Only if a serious breach of some kind is discovered should a club take strong action.

I think one of the things that really irked him was the fact that they've only been members for a couple of months, hardly enough time to integrate. I'd have thought a quiet word from one of the committee would have sufficed if there is a perceived issue.

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
Sounds like an overreaction on the part of your mates, sure a letter might come accross a bit crass in current times but maybe they are just trying to make sure they are doing alright.

Depends what the letter says exactly mind.

He doesn't normally get irate about much and this has really got to him. But you're right it really depends on the exact wording of the letter.

D

Deleted member 21258

I went to join a club in Essex and didn't know any members. In the end I wrote write in on my firms headed notepaper[accountants] and the fact I had a son(baby) who may become a junior member in due course that was good enough for an interview.

I had telephoned before and got the cold shoulder, and the fact I had a daughter who was older and did goto golf with me, didn't cut the mustard as such.

Went for interview, all suited up, was told the same as above(have to play with a committee member, I was playing to single figures at that time) and was also told it was expected that I would bring the family up to the club for the carvery and other social events, along with playing with other members etc.

They invited me for a game before listing my name on the membership noticeboard, needless to say I kept my money and went to a friendly course.

In response to your question, I think no club has the right and if they think they have, then it should be laid out in black and white before joining, so if it is a problem for you you can choose not to join.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well I know I'm not lying and I don't believe that he is lying either as he's told plenty of people about it.

Has he taken it the wrong way though? Is the club concerned that they are not getting as much out of their memebership as they could by being more integrated within the club?

Or, are they chastising them for not making more effort?

If it's the former then I don't see the problem, if the latter then that's strange.

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
Reading things like this i can understand why there are so many Nomad golfers out there. I for one am currently a nomad, mainly down to the cost of membership. Golf at the mo is a luxury so i play as and when.

My brother in law joined a club a couple of years ago on a half year membership and the experience actually put him off golf. He now plays on charity days with his cricket team. He likened the process to getting into an Eton boys club with the club captain and his "deputies" grilling him on his motives for joining. Maybe an isolated case but had it been more informal and relaxed he would have extended the menbership

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
Has he taken it the wrong way though? Is the club concerned that they are not getting as much out of their memebership as they could by being more integrated within the club?

If it's the former then I don't see the problem, if the latter then that's strange.

The way he's telling it, and while it's all I've got to go by I have no reason to doubt him, it is very much a letter of chastisement.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Surely if the club has written a letter that could be taken the wrong way then it's still strange behaviour from them

A letter sent in those circumstances should leave the member in no doubt as to its intention and almost be an invitation to promote integration suggesting different opportunities and something any new member would be delighted to receive, rather than hearing that the club is disappointed about anything

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is the wording that gets me. A letter pointing out that a new member has not been integrating and asking if there were any issues getting games, meeting people etc and if there is anything that could be done to help or perhaps an invitation to play with a couple of committee members would be another option. A letter using the term 'disappointed' sounds like a telling off and a threat of action if the new member does not integrate more and is a pretty poor letter to send.

Some clubs, mine included, need to pull the stick out of their backside and realise that people are different, not everyone wants to act the same way or use the club in the same way and that commitments outside of the golf club still exist. My brother, for example, has played for years, never been in to playing comps but likes the same banter filled 4 ball for a fiver with his mates every weekend. He is not one to integrate but pays his fees every year to be able to use the club how he wants.

DCB

Visit site
So they've played weekend social golf with each other for the couple of months that they've been members. But they both intend to play in plenty of comps just as they did at their previous club.

Going by what you have said, they don't seem to have tried to integrate and play with other members have they ?

Although the wording used is rather strong, if I was playing at weekends I'd be trying to get to play along with other members or trying to get to know them in the bar afterwords.

I don't think your friends response will help his cause though. I'd be interested to here the clubs response to that one.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I think one of the things that really irked him was the fact that they've only been members for a couple of months, hardly enough time to integrate. I'd have thought a quiet word from one of the committee would have sufficed if there is a perceived issue.

Exactly, what is the need for it to be put in writing at this stage?

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
Going by what you have said, they don't seem to have tried to integrate and play with other members have they ?

Although the wording used is rather strong, if I was playing at weekends I'd be trying to get to play along with other members or trying to get to know them in the bar afterwords.

I don't think your friends response will help his cause though. I'd be interested to here the clubs response to that one.

I think he was so miffed at the letter that he'll gladly move on but he doesn't want to lose his joining fee. I'm also very interested in how the club respond.