AOL

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been asked to look at a PC that is running far slower than it should. I suspect that at least part of the reason is AOL that is on it. Is this a possibility?

If so, is it actually possible to completely get rid of it from the system by "uninstall" or would a complete re-format and new installation be needed. If the latter, I think I'd recommend a new PC as I could do without the hassle.

One way or the other, if she moves away from AOL, will she still be able to access her AOL email account?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes, she can access her email without having aol installed.
I use aol and my computer isn't slow so I think it's something else.
I suspect she has alot of old stuff stored away thats causing the problems.
I do a full re-install about twice a year. It's like having a new computer :). Give it a go and see it fly along, but don't foget, back up !!!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I had avira anti virus on my PC which was causing "bottle necks" and slowing stuff down. Really showed itself whilst watching YouTube etc.
I got shot and went over to Microsoft Security Essentials and everything is now hunky dorey.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Bob.

Only problem I can see with a re-install is that she probably has got rid of all the original installation disks etc.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lefty, a friend of mine is very technical when it comes to pc's as he is very high up in the IT chain for one of the major banking groups in London. He hates aol with a passion and pretty much insisted I change from aol as their software pretty much bullies your operating system and causes major issues. My pc is so much faster without aol, I just logo on every now and then and check my emails

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's what I had heard mate but wasn't sure about how true it was.

Does a simple un-install work or does AOL still interfere with the OS afterwards?

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Worth taking a look at the Hard Disk, try typing chkdsk /f at the command prompt. This will help find and fix system errors on the disk.

HDDs are a big cause of slow PC's particularly the 2.5"/3.5" types in laptops. They dont last forever and no amount of formatting or re-installing will help if the disk is on its way out. Thankfully these are cheap to replace.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That's what I had heard mate but wasn't sure about how true it was.

Does a simple un-install work or does AOL still interfere with the OS afterwards?

I uninstalled the software and any files linked to it, make sure you get rid of the spyware if that's installed too as that's one of the worse. Also check your temp files to anything linked, :)