Anyone noticed a significant improvement following the purchase of a new irons?

TheAlbatross

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all,

this is might sound like a daft question but I am wondering about the potential gains which are possible simply by changing your irons.

Obviously if you believe the marketing and hype surrounding the launch of a new set of irons then game improvement is virtually a cast iron guarantee. However, before parting with a large chunk of hard earned cash I am keen to hear more 'real life' experiences.

Basically I am thinking of upgrading from my Ping i15's and was wondering whether I should expect an improvement in accuracy? I am genuinely not concerned by distance as I have no problem with that aspect of my game, I would however like to improve my dispersion. Is this an aspect of my game which I could expect a new set of irons to improve?

Manufacturers seem to promise improvements in distance but never seem to claim improved accuracy. Is this because accuracy can only be improved through swing changes and is mostly influenced by club face angle at impact.

Has anyone experienced improved accuracy (GIR) following the purchase of a new set of irons - I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
In answer to the question, no not really, as long as they are custom fitted and have the correct lie angle and grip size for me. :)

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
IMHO, unless the old ones are a very poor fit or are very poor quality, not a lot.

Think of all the shots you dropped in your last round. Were any of them really caused by those poor little inanimate chunks of metal??

Your i15s are still used by a current world top 50 player (Jamie Donaldson). Do you think he would still have them in play if they caused his dispersion to be a bit rubbish?

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I seem to remember Jack Nicklaus being quoted as saying that the reason most golfers improve when they buy new clubs is because they go out and play more with the new toys. As the novelty wears off, they play less and normal service resumes.

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm currently having the same mental battle with myself. I had the money for a new set but changed my mind and went got custom fitted for a new driver and it helped me loads Straighter and tighter grouped although not longer but worth every penny to be in play more. I've now got the money again but with the wife on maternity leave Still I can't make my mind up even though she said its fine as I worked the extra hours and gave up my Xmas and new year to do on call to pay for them.
Currently playing off 20 and using taylormade burner plus irons which I brought off the shelf a few years ago haven't even used a lie board. I'm thinking some not quite so chunky may benefit me?? Plus i can't decide on which ones I want I keep changing my mind.

TheAlbatross

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies - it's very useful information and feedback.

My ball striking is really consistent at the moment but my dispersion is erratic and I'm looking to improve this area of my game. I've had a block of 6 lessons which I have attended once a fortnight since Xmas and that has improve my ball striking but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get a consistent ball flight which narrows my dispersion. As a 12 handicapper I accept I will miss target regularly but I expect to land the ball in the same post code!

I have been practising a lot lately - 70 balls down the range every other day. i know how to practice effectively and am by no means a ball-basher but I am feeling really dispondent about the progress I am making. I have searched around for a decent teaching pro with a good reputation and facilities, I paid a decent amount for a block of 6 lessons, I have fully committed to the advise I've been given, I reflect on the swing changes, I practice them in the mirror at home and I put the hours in down the range. I know what it takes to improve and don't feel like I can do any more than I am at present - I guess that's where the desperation comes into it and you start to irrationally question your clubs.

This is is my biggest issue with golf - it just doesn't seem fair sometimes. I know that life is unfair but I mean in terms of you often don't get out what you put in. There is often no rhyme or reason behind a sudden peak or trough in form and I personally find that immensely frustrating. For instance, if I spent the same amount of time, money and effort on going to the gym I would definitely get stronger, faster and fitter. The same cannot be said about golf - sorry for the rant but needed to get it off my chest.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Golf is never fair.

Looks to me that a launch monitor session might be the best idea. It's pretty much impossible to isolate the factors in your dispersion by eye..

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
if a main issue is direction/dispersion then look to what is changing the face angle & path relationship - the difference between the 2 in degrees bigger the difference the more wayward the shot outcomes (Pga Pro with LM the ways to find the answer) and how these numbers is affecting delivery and the strike locations on the face shot to shot, & where the AoA is at

many issues simply start by the grip, set-up, posture not being as good as they could be
leads to compromises in how the club moves away to then where it ends up at the top and from there more compensations have to go back in - all of which is a good bunch harder to 'time' to strike consistently

this means there somewhere a bunch of unwanted movement, could be hands/wrists too active, path the club is taken away, lateral sway, changes in posture through the motion, changes in vertical height, issues with connection and swing sequence sync etc

irons, clubs in general, improve over time at a small incremental amounts

how much folks get out of updating increases with the time scale between the updates, changed year to year then not so much difference, over 5 years little more - longer the gap between updates (10 years) generally the more 'help' through technology advance will be there - to a point though as it's largely down to folks ability to strike center consistently, good technique along with a good mental course management ability that above all else improves scoring

folks often get a buzz of psychological game improvement having updated to new irons simply because they 'feel' better through just 'doing it' - often times, most times, that doesn't translate to real genuine long term improvement as overall swing habits haven't changed any

to an extent it will depend on what level of ability is there - i25's were not game improvement irons so you have to take a look at what level of play was reached using these, so say was it regular under gross 75 scores or a regular around 85 gross through a season - the former scoring ability so hitting center mostly with accuracy and reasonable distance there may be a small tad more help only available through say TM psi's, Apex 16 Pro's, 716 AP2's, Ping e and other oem's 'better player' irons - but if more to the 85 average very likely not much to be gained as there would be a higher percentage of off center hits anyways
perhaps a better answer bang per buck would be through using the new iron $'s on a good bunch of lessons with PGA pro who uses a LM and video, pressure mats/plates and really improving strike patterns

but if the scoring nearer the 85 gross average then probably there would be some tech improvement available by not looking at the 'better player' irons as maybes the i25's (better player level when they came out - as in who they aimed at) were not the best choice so a matter of looking at the next range of irons that give a little more help with off center strikes - but still lessons will always help whatever player level

got the $'s to spend and it's a 'new irons worm that has to be fed' then best ways is try a number out with a fitter using a LM that is largely independent so not trying to 'guide' to one particular make - that not possible go a number of stores to try as many different manufacturers as possible again on a LM - as that is the only ways you have quantifiable proof through the numbers which would be best for dispersion coupled with reasonable distances always better if you can try more than just the 6i from each set that's mostly available through good independent fitters but will be at a cost