Anyone hit the gym for golf?

golfnut18

Assistant Pro
Visit site
do any of you guys hit the weights or cardiovascular equipment inorder to increase your atheltic performance?
if so what kind of training do you do?
im lucky enough to have my own well equiped homegym so i currently lift 3 days a week ( usually more but i play 3/4 times a week so i dont want my legs to be too sore) and do high intensity circuit training. I find that my i can certainly attain a higher club head speed and still remain balanced.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go a couple of times a week to JJB mostly to keep fit more than anything normally do 30 mins on treadmill ,benchpress, jackhammers and then use the machines normally there for about an hour and a half ,have noticed am hitting the ball better since i started to go back to the gym regularly

steveyjd81

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes

I work for a leisure trust, so i get free gym and swimming

In the winter i do cardio n strength

during the season i do mainly stretching, core and weights just to keep everything ticking over, no more than twice a week

Id say ive added a club in distance this year from going to the gym

Feeling physically stronger also has a positive effect on the mental side of the game!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No I'm definitely one of the before pictures. My wife works for Esporta and so will qualify for free gym membership at the end of June so I might start going for saunas etc but to be honest in the summer I'd rather be out playing or practicing rather than working out and by the winter I just want to get home from work into the warm

Putting_Green_Pro

Q-School Graduate
www.heyrosegolfclub.com
i go to my gym at school for every PE lesson, because i have a dodgy leg so cant do tennis/cricket. and get use of like 20 machines, soo shall be a machine myself :) get in those young girls as well as playing golf not bad lol

golfnut18

Assistant Pro
Visit site
glad to see others like the gym ;). and homer my home gym has its own heater so im always in the warmth, plus at the rate i train its not long before im warm anyway.
As others have talked about, strenght training has certainly helped me gain distance and good balance. My goal is too get alot learner for the summer as ive been trying to gain weight over the winter - excuse for getting fat LOL.
Plus the more lean muscle you have the better your coordination and therefore more accurate striking.
If its good enough for tiger its good enough for me :)

golfnut18

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't go to the gym but do go running 3 to 4 times a week.

cool.
ive just been squatting so i highly doubt that il be able to walk very well tomorrow and im playing 18 :) ohh the joy

Nah you'll be ok tomorrow, it'll hit you wednesday if squats aint part of your normal routine.

ohh it is part of my normal routine and i did them to failure so im finding it hard to walk now ! dammit :cool:

krokodil

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't go to the gym but do go running 3 to 4 times a week.

cool.
ive just been squatting so i highly doubt that il be able to walk very well tomorrow and im playing 18 :) ohh the joy

Nah you'll be ok tomorrow, it'll hit you wednesday if squats aint part of your normal routine.

ohh it is part of my normal routine and i did them to failure so im finding it hard to walk now ! dammit :cool:

Fair play-a fantastic exercise, though I prefer the incline leg press but the squat is a far more natural movement, the only prob is it can build not only your legs but your a*se as well!