Anybody a Member of temple Newsam Golf Club?

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Anybody a Member of Temple Newsam Golf Club?

Amongst other clubs under consideration of joining in Leeds is Temple Newsam GC. Anybody here a member? Would like to hear of your experiences, with emphasis on

• how easy is it to get a tee time on a weekend
  • what the junior section is like (my 11YO will be joining with me)
  • what condition the course is kept
  • what practice facilities are available
  • friendliness of members/staff

Thanks very much.

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Re: Anybody a Member of Temple Newsam Golf Club?

Have just found your post matey. Where did you settle for? There’s not many on here from Leeds area but some of us who are, are pretty active. I’m at Wike Ridge & would highly recommend for ease of finding folk to play with & arguably the best junior section/program in Leeds. Get in touch if you need to know more. 👍👍

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site

I've played quite a lot at Wike Ridge, and use the driving range quite often, although not as much of late as my kids seem to have lost any enthusiasm for the game. It would be my first choice to join but it's out of my price range at the moment, hence looking at Roundhay or Temple Newsam.

foreputt

Visit site
I’m a Leeds lad but playing out of Howley hall.

Played Temple Newsam a couple of times and have a few friends who are members who speak very well of the membership.

In my experience the course was in usual shape for a muni, but very muddy in winter. I believe that they have gone from 2 18 holers to 18 and 9 holer but not sure if these works have been completed. Has anyone had a chance to check out the new course as I believe it was a blend of the courses?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I've played quite a lot at Wike Ridge, and use the driving range quite often, although not as much of late as my kids seem to have lost any enthusiasm for the game. It would be my first choice to join but it's out of my price range at the moment, hence looking at Roundhay or Temple Newsam.

Tempsey was my first Club back in the late 1990's - early 2000's & was probably at it's best then with rakes in the bunkers even :whistle: It served me well for 6 years or so before moving to Scarthingwell & then, on full retirement, to Wike as the £4 million investment was transforming it from a 'goat-track'
As foreputt says Tempsey has gone down to 18 holes & a 9 holer. I sent a 4 man Tigers team there last year for an LDU event & they managed to come a close 2nd despite there being no yardage posts & it hadn't yet been GPS mapped. 'Passable' would be their description at best.
I'd say that Roundhay would be your best bet for year-round golf if Wike is out of your budget, then link up with these GM meets for better quality stuff. That's my take on getting the best out of golf these days with a chance to bring your son along when a little older. perhaps.
I see you're at Forest Pines in July.... is that a 1st meet??

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site

It will indeed be my first meet. I was hoping to join a club in time to get an official handicap but that may not be possible now.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It will indeed be my first meet. I was hoping to join a club in time to get an official handicap but that may not be possible now.

Plenty of time to get your H/cap.... most economic membership method will be to join Tempsey or Roundhay for £170 (Tempsey fee but Roundhay will be similar) then just pay when you play roughly £17 at weekend £13.50 mid-week ... the Pro at Roundhay (Phil) will fit you in with a group to mark your card & you only need submit 3 to get a H/cap. Sorry if I appear to be stating the obvious but just trying to help... have you had a H/cap previously? PM me your mobile if you want to chat about it as I'm active on the H/cap team at Wike so familiar with ways you can do it.... such as 'Supplementary Cards' etc. All the best.. Dave

PS. Just me & a mate going to Forest Pines so could be chances to share travel with us if that would help.. family wise & such. This Forum is such a great place to join in with golf however it suits you..... the modern way forward!!

Last edited: