Any tips for anything inside 75/50/25 yards?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It's hard to take those stats at face value as a lot of pins on tour set ups are placed in very difficult spots with big slopes around them. Balls can pitch hole high and spin away serious distances. You can be out of position and have next to no chance of getting it close.

This doesnt really apply as much to us regular Joe's playing bog standard courses and pins sitting in the middle of greens.

If you feel more comfortable laying up to 100 or more that's fine. You are probably taking out the chance of hitting a poor technique pitch from 40 yards but you are definitely missing the chance of giving yourself a better chance of getting down in 2.

I've seen plenty of boys that you can start the comedy music playing when they get within 50yards of the green. When they are like that they may aswel have that full shot into the green.
I've also seen a fella work on his short game over a few years and transform himself into someone who can actually hit the pitches and chips required to give him the best chance to score well.

It's a no brainer to work on this stuff if you are the type of person who isnt confident getting close to the green.

How many people who can’t hit a decent 75 yard pitch have the ability to hit the precise distance required to leave them their favorite yardage? Even on a flat, wide open hole calculating the distance you need to hit the layup and executing the shot perfectly is difficult. Factor in elevation changes, wind, temperature, lie etc and it becomes very difficult.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How many people who can’t hit a decent 75 yard pitch have the ability to hit the precise distance required to leave them their favorite yardage? Even on a flat, wide open hole calculating the distance you need to hit the layup and executing the shot perfectly is difficult. Factor in elevation changes, wind, temperature, lie etc and it becomes very difficult.

It's not that they leave themselves exactly 96 yards. They are happier hitting a full wedge or gap wedge. They wont necessarily hit it close to the pin but they "feel" like they have a good chance of hitting the green.

They just dont start of the groundhog day scene of chunking the 75 pitch 20yards short, blading the next one over the green. Chipping the next one to 30 feet and 3 putting. Walking away with a triple bogey from position 1A.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think some people are confusing why some people leave themselves further away for the pin. If I am, for example 220 yards from the green, I know that I will not reach the green unless I absolutely flush a 3 wood - which never happens! I am more comfortable from about 100-120 yards than close to the green where I tend to fluff the shot by trying to be too cute and decelerating. With this in mind, why would I not hit two wedges into the green instead of a 3 wood and then try to scramble to get a decent score?

Jason.H

Visit site
I think some people are confusing why some people leave themselves further away for the pin. If I am, for example 220 yards from the green, I know that I will not reach the green unless I absolutely flush a 3 wood - which never happens! I am more comfortable from about 100-120 yards than close to the green where I tend to fluff the shot by trying to be too cute and decelerating. With this in mind, why would I not hit two wedges into the green instead of a 3 wood and then try to scramble to get a decent score?

This is where the scratch golfers have the green light. Unless there’s water or OB by the green. Quite often they miss the green but short game gets them up and down often.

D

Deleted member 15344

I suspect Bob has already mentioned it but clock face is a good method , shorten the backswing to control the distance

Another way could be to go down the shaft which will take some distance off shots

But it’s the same with every shot - keep the tempo smooth , eye on the ball through impact

Don’t imo flick wrists etc because that will encourage a top

But overall try as best as you can to leave the ball to a yardage you are more comfortable playing - for some that’s leaving a full shot in

Jason.H

Visit site
Our ninth is a short par 5, generally I have 160 to 220 yard second shot depending on the wind. The calculated shot is to leave the 2nd shot at the front edge. Right and back have steep drop offs and left is bunkered.
Since playing this strategy my scores have improved no end. I used to leave 80/90 yards as that was mentally more comfortable but in the wind it was always tough to get close

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't used this myself, but I saw a YouTube video once talking about the Ladder Drill. You'd have to look it up, but essentially it's a method of pitching with one club where you have different length backswing and followthrough for different distances. e.g. might be waist height back and waist height through for 50 yards, chest height back and through for 60 yards, shoulder height back and through for 70 yards, something like that. That might be worth a look if it suits you better.

Last edited:

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't used this myself, but I saw a YouTube video once talking about the Ladder Drill. You'd have to look it up, but essentially it's a method of pitching with one club where you have different length backswing and followthrough for different distances. e.g. might waist height back and waist height through for 50 yards, chest height back and through for 60 yards, shoulder height back and through for 70 yards, something like that. That might be worth a look if it suits you better.

I haven’t used this technique as such but… a few of us go the range at Close House now and again, they have the Top Tracer set up which is great fun. Instead of putting on the green you have to hit to a selected target around 62 yards away (other targets are available), I’ve found hitting to this target has really helped my pitching from within 70 yards as normally I’m just trying to replicate the shot at the range and maybe take a little off it for shorter distances.
It’s definitely worth a trip to a range with this set up if there’s one local, specially for grooving wedge distances 👍

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think I’d have some kind of brain melt if I tried to think about clock face chipping. I can’t begin to imagine concentrating on 'did I just do a 7 or 8 backswing, maybe I wanted 7 and it was actually 7.30' :unsure:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I’d have some kind of brain melt if I tried to think about clock face chipping. I can’t begin to imagine concentrating on 'did I just do a 7 or 8 backswing, maybe I wanted 7 and it was actually 7.30' :unsure:
Agree, it's not something I can do. I have a shortened backswing even on a full shot so I don't have much room for different length swings. I pretty much have full, half, and a little one for chipping. :D

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Agree, it's not something I can do. I have a shortened backswing even on a full shot so I don't have much room for different length swings. I pretty much have full, half, and a little one for chipping. :D

Yeah I actually wondered if it was a tip suited to a 'better player' and most AMs might actually relate to a 1/4 , 1/2 , full etc

I watched two quick vids from GM and GM... oh wait golf monthly and golf magic have the same... never mind, its not important... anyway one fellas talking about a 9pm and 10.30pm backswing and the others using a 7pm and 8 pm backswing so they literally are using individual hours and even half hour increments in the swing arc!

And some say you shouldn't have a drink on the course, I'd say it's essential :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah I actually wondered if it was a tip suited to a 'better player' and most AMs might actually relate to a 1/4 , 1/2 , full etc

I watched two quick vids from GM and GM... oh wait golf monthly and golf magic have the same... never mind, its not important... anyway one fellas talking about a 9pm and 10.30pm backswing and the others using a 7pm and 8 pm backswing so they literally are using individual hours and even half hour increments in the swing arc!

And some say you shouldn't have a drink on the course, I'd say it's essential :LOL:
I think it's just whatever works in your mind. Like whatever you think is 9 o'clock is all that matters. But like you, I have laughed at the mention of 7:30 and whatnot, I thought the point of it was where the hour would be on a clock, if you reckon you can position it halfway between imaginary 7 and 8, then all power to you. :LOL:

evemccc

Visit site
I think it's just whatever works in your mind. Like whatever you think is 9 o'clock is all that matters. But like you, I have laughed at the mention of 7:30 and whatnot, I thought the point of it was where the hour would be on a clock, if you reckon you can position it halfway between imaginary 7 and 8, then all power to you. :LOL:

It’s a ‘feel’ thing…that’s straight from Harrington’s YouTube Video btw

Just like perception of the wind and how cold it is and how much uphill (in a comp so obvs without slope turned on), you have to feel it and then make your best stab at executing it

‘Best estimation’ and then do your best to execute what your think…and that’s why I love golf

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s about feel and practise and it’s not about being that precise - it’s a guestimate and personal judgement

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It’s about feel and practise and it’s not about being that precise - it’s a guestimate and personal judgement

Yeah my stroke is very definitely based on 'feel' or intuition or whatever it could be called
Much like putting I have no concept of my backstroke being xx inches long for yy length of putt

I figure my brain absolutely already has every scrap of info and data it needs to execute the perfectly weighted chip or putt... the trouble happens because I sometimes hit 'manual override' and get in its way

D

Deleted member 15344

Yeah my stroke is very definitely based on 'feel' or intuition or whatever it could be called
Much like putting I have no concept of my backstroke being xx inches long for yy length of putt

I figure my brain absolutely already has every scrap of info and data it needs to execute the perfectly weighted chip or putt... the trouble happens because I sometimes hit 'manual override' and get in its way

Feel is a smarter way to play Imo at our level , clearer mind and no death by analysis. Most amatuers play that way - when you seem some go deep into the analytical side then it’s either a top level am/pro or those searching for the golden goose

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Hit 7 greens in regulation today and 3-putted one of them. Had another 3-putt for a double bogey. Not very good.

Got it round in 7 over par thanks to pitching, chipping and putting - mainly with a Ping i10 PW 46d and a John Letters Banker 5 putter.

Jason.H

Visit site

For me I use half swing which is hands hip height back and through. That gives me half distance, Then hands to shoulder back and through gives me 3 quarter distance

RichA

Visit site
Feel is a smarter way to play Imo at our level , clearer mind and no death by analysis. Most amatuers play that way - when you seem some go deep into the analytical side then it’s either a top level am/pro or those searching for the golden goose
Yep. Having come to golf after a lifetime of playing cricket and football, the precise clockface vs yardages vs tempo techniques seem strange to me.
If I was throwing a ball in to a wicket keeper or playing a football towards my teammate's head, I never knew the yardage or calculated the amount of backswing required. One second of thought then let instinct and muscles figure it out.
Similarly, my chipping is best when I think about nothing more than where I want the ball to land then let instinct take over to figure out the speed and just concentrate on contact. When I start thinking about technique everything gets a bit yippy.