Any tips for anything inside 75/50/25 yards?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I would say the opposite and to not flick your wrists.
Try to keep your lower half as still as you can and avoid swaying.
Swaying back is for me the source of why it can go wrong for me.

I say this as I am currently sorting the same issue. My short game under 75yds was red hot…until it wasn’t. And I’ve only just twigged what’s happened.

It’s as if for the shorter distances I think I can somehow change from hitting the ball with a golf swing to some sort of intuitive body manipulating lobbing of the ball, and with me I chuck away trust in the loft of the club to doing that, a part of that is me subconsciously thinking that I need to get ‘behind’ the ball to lob it into the air - so subconsciously I sway back and as a result can either ‘fat’ or ‘thin’ the ball. The cause is the same, fat or thin depends on whatever contortions I apply to try and get the ball in the air.

Last couple of times out I have firmed up my right side to stop the sway, and firmed feeling of hands ahead of ball through strike, and already I’m getting back to how I was.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Presentation and video quality is about meh, but this has spoken to me more than any clock system feeling. I just need some lighter evenings to get the yardages and practice it.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I can't see this being true for the vast majority. It doesn't matter how bad you are at chipping or good you are with a wedge you won't be more accurate from 100 yards than you are from 25yards.
But he said 75yds and 50yds too. I can promise you I'm more accurate from 110 than I am from 75.
That's maybe just me, of course.

Jason.H

Visit site
I used to always lay up to 80 or more yards if I couldn’t reach the green. Ive started hitting closer to the green the last 3 months and been making lots of birdies. I chip and pitch with 2 clubs, 48 or 58 degree wedges and I’ve got to know them very well now.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
You may think you are but in reality I bet your not.
Okay. You don't know me, you've never met me, you've never seen me play golf, but yet you somehow know better than I do?
Do me a favour and don't bother replying.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Any shots within 75/50/25 yard and I either seem to chunk or thin it very often (not sure why this is). I’m sure my HC will shoot down if I had this shot in the locker.

I’ve just looked on YouTube / Google about flicking the wrists with these kind of shots and I’m thinking it might be something to practice with.

Any tips appreciated.
The most skilful aspect of golf as far as I am concerned.
It must be learned through a lot of practice. To the point where it becomes simple and easy to do - BECAUSE IT BLOOMIN WELL IS EASY TO HIT SMALL SHOTS.

I realised that a very long time ago.

Anyone whose thinking is to avoid these shots and not to seek to improve in this area, has an approach to golf that I will never agree with nor will I be able to help them.

OP, you are a footballer.
Which is easier, a 10 yard shot at goal or a 35 yard shot at goal?
Which is easier, a 5 yard pass or a 50 yard pass?
If you can do the long ones well, then you really ought to be able to do the short ones very very well.

Once you see the importance of these golf shots, then your desire to practice and improve in this area should follow.