Any tips for anything inside 75/50/25 yards?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Says that you need to find out why you feel pressure to get the shot 'right'. What does 'right' mean to you. Hitting the green from 45 yards is essentially getting it right.
Essentially it's down to me being a bad practicer- I don't.
I never have really as I get bored too quickly so I've never spent much time on half shots so I've never been particularly good at them.
I can be but I can be awful too.
I'm much more comfortable in my head with a full wedge rather than a 3/4 SW for example...
That's just me.
And whether or not hitting the green from 45 yards is getting it right or not depends a lot on the size of the green and where the hole is .
If I'm 45 yards from the hole and I hit it 25 yards and I'm just on the green but 60 feet from the hole then I'm staring down a bogey or even a double.....is that "right"?
Not sure it is for a mid single figure player.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I never have really as I get bored too quickly so I've never spent much time on half shots so I've never been particularly good at them.
I'm much more comfortable in my head with a full wedge rather than a 3/4 SW for example...
That's just me.
And whether or not hitting the green from 45 yards is getting it right or not depends a lot on the size of the green and where the hole is .
If I'm 45 yards from the hole and I hit it 25 yards and I'm just on the green but 60 feet from the hole then I'm staring down a bogey or even a double.....is that "right"?

There are guys on tour, so the best players in the world, averaging over 30ft from similar distance...so, yeah, it will be in the variance for you to hit one to 60ft, and then hit one to 20ft.

sjw

Visit site
It’s a public football pitch lol. Only downside is it wont give me much idea on how the ball would roll if I were to land it on a green.

🤦‍♂️

Is there an astro turf bit near you? Could always try that during the day if there's no kids playing on it

sjw

Visit site
That's just me.

Sound pretty similar to me.

Anyway, I chipped in from 20 yards on Sunday so I guess you could basically say I've mastered short game now.

CountLippe

Visit site

That's just me.

I found that once I learned the technique for hitting different shots with wedges for both chipping and pitching (stop quickly, medium run out, long run out) practice becomes anything but boring. Attempting a 40 yard pitch with 3 different wedges and 3 different ball flights is fun. The technique is much easier to learn than a full swing as well.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
It’s a public football pitch lol. Only downside is it wont give me much idea on how the ball would roll if I were to land it on a green.

🤦‍♂️
Better than nothing. It’s contact you want to practice anyway really. Try a few flop shots over the goal posts

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice one for the replies. I’ve had a good read through and I’m aiming to practice a lot over the next 3/4 months. The big downside to my club is the practice facilities. Unless you want to spend a fortune at the driving range for balls you can’t retrieve then there really isn’t anywhere to practice the short game. The field behind me seems like a cost effective way to improve and my purchase today sounds like a good investment to getting that handicap down 👌
I touched upon in an earlier post, but a few years ago when I wanted to figure out my pitching distances with all my shorter clubs, I just went down to the course late at night - in summer, which was admittedly easier - but the point is when the course is empty I'd play nine holes and deliberately give myself some of those 50-90 yard shots to see what works. If I came up short or long drop another ball until you get it right and then move on. Do that a few evenings in a month and you should be well on your way.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There are guys on tour, so the best players in the world, averaging over 30ft from similar distance...so, yeah, it will be in the variance for you to hit one to 60ft, and then hit one to 20ft.
Expectation management is an underated part of getting better at golf.
And definitely of enjoying your golf.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

From 45 yards?
I'd like to see where you got that info from.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
From 45 yards?
I'd like to see where you got that info from.
Not exactly answering the question...
... but up go this current event, 8 players on the pga tour are averaging over 30ft proximity from 50-75 yards (the shortest distance I could find). I've heard of 6 them. Some are actually in good form currently.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
When I had my chipping lessons, the idea was to chip a ball so it bounced in a hula hoop ring. That was the “ landing point”. After that it was a case of seeing how far the ball rolled out. A seven iron will roll out differently to a pitching wedge. The idea was to be able to have a short game that relied on more than one club.
my pro at the time said the closer you get to the hole the more it is about touch and feel, so do more swings. If you bring the club back 2 ft, follow through with 2ft and don’t get wristy. It for me is a simple technique and works for me.
Finally when using your short game choose a club where the ball will land on the green and run out.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

🤦‍♂️

This imo is ideal. I’d far rather know the carry distance than total.

How much roll you get will depend on wind, how firm the greens are, whether it’s flat or sloping towards/away from you etc.I might be in the minority but I decide where I want to land the ball based on those things then choose the club and how far I’m effectively trying to carry it based on what I imagined the ball will do on landing.

Tinkerman

Visit site
I struggled with 75 yards and in and used the Dave Pelz wedge clock system, plus practice.

If you're not familiar with it, you work out the distance each wedge goes with the same swings (7.30pm, 9pm and 10.30pm backswings). Stuck an umbrella in the ground where I hit the shots from and then used my laser to the umbrella from where they landed. I found my SW was 50 yards and PW was 75 yards, both using the 7.30pm swing. Just having those two worked out has been enough for me.

Jason.H

Visit site
Go to the range with only your wedges.

3 quarter and half distance with each. Rarely do I go full shot with all out wedge on the course. That’s a recipe for disaster

Learn to hit high cut, punch and lower draw with each one.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I wouldn't be messing with trying to shape shots with wedges.

I also don't open the face of a wedge except in a bunker or an emergency.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Not exactly answering the question...
... but up go this current event, 8 players on the pga tour are averaging over 30ft proximity from 50-75 yards (the shortest distance I could find). I've heard of 6 them. Some are actually in good form currently.

I'm sure you're right, 8 PGA tour pros did indeed average over 30' from the hole at The Honda Classic ..... 8 out of 210 players.
If you are looking at the same site I am, it says the tour average at The Honda Classic was 17 feet from 50-75 yards so not over 30 feet as claimed

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/detail/076

the best players in the world, averaging over 30ft from similar distance

As the similar distance mentioned was 45 yards, this indicates it is indeed 9-10 feet on average overall

Proximity-yards-fw.jpg

https://www.worldofshortgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Proximity-yards-fw.jpg

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm sure you're right, 8 PGA tour pros did indeed average over 30' from the hole at The Honda Classic ..... 8 out of 210 players.
If you are looking at the same site I am, it says the tour average at The Honda Classic was 17 feet from 50-75 yards so not over 30 feet as claimed

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/detail/076

As the similar distance mentioned was 45 yards, this indicates it is indeed 9-10 feet on average overall

View attachment 46726

https://www.worldofshortgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Proximity-yards-fw.jpg

Golf Stat and Records | PGA TOUR

Clear states the tour average from between 50 and 75 yards (they don't break it down less than that) for the season so far is 17 feet...

You'll also note that I said 'SOME' players were averaging over 30ft from this distance, and all with multiple attempts

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's hard to take those stats at face value as a lot of pins on tour set ups are placed in very difficult spots with big slopes around them. Balls can pitch hole high and spin away serious distances. You can be out of position and have next to no chance of getting it close.

This doesnt really apply as much to us regular Joe's playing bog standard courses and pins sitting in the middle of greens.

If you feel more comfortable laying up to 100 or more that's fine. You are probably taking out the chance of hitting a poor technique pitch from 40 yards but you are definitely missing the chance of giving yourself a better chance of getting down in 2.

I've seen plenty of boys that you can start the comedy music playing when they get within 50yards of the green. When they are like that they may aswel have that full shot into the green.
I've also seen a fella work on his short game over a few years and transform himself into someone who can actually hit the pitches and chips required to give him the best chance to score well.

It's a no brainer to work on this stuff if you are the type of person who isnt confident getting close to the green.