Any tips for anything inside 75/50/25 yards?

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Any shots within 75/50/25 yard and I either seem to chunk or thin it very often (not sure why this is). I’m sure my HC will shoot down if I had this shot in the locker.

I’ve just looked on YouTube / Google about flicking the wrists with these kind of shots and I’m thinking it might be something to practice with.

Any tips appreciated.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Another way to do it is to stop leaving yourself those distances.
Shorter par 4s, hit an iron and leave yourself a full shot with SW, GW, PW or 9iron even.
Par 5s, second shot, count back from the pin and hit whatever leaves you a full shot for your third, hit that. For example, I've hit driver, PW, PW before on a par 5, and watched people hit driver, 3 wood and then chunk a pitch into a bunker and take 3 to get out!
I hate 75 and 50 yard shots, so this has really helped me to take them out of the equation.
I will eventually get round to practicing them, but until I can, I'm taking them out!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Weight on front foot might help you come down on the ball a bit better.

I have a "feel" for 50-60-70-80 yarders power wise - all just comes from a lot of time at the range.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Any shots within 75/50/25 yard and I either seem to chunk or thin it very often (not sure why this is). I’m sure my HC will shoot down if I had this shot in the locker.

I’ve just looked on YouTube / Google about flicking the wrists with these kind of shots and I’m thinking it might be something to practice with.

Any tips appreciated.
Any form of club manipulation, never mind handy’ manipulations, are for me a route to inconsistency and other more horrid problems.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Shorter par 4s, hit an iron and leave yourself a full shot with SW, GW, PW or 9iron even.
Par 5s, second shot, count back from the pin and hit whatever leaves you a full shot for your third, hit that. For example, I've hit driver, PW, PW before on a par 5, and watched people hit driver, 3 wood and then chunk a pitch into a bunker and take 3 to get out!
I hate 75 and 50 yard shots, so this has really helped me to take them out of the equation.
I will eventually get round to practicing them, but until I can, I'm taking them out!

i 100% agree with this.

I play at a short 9 hole course so only hit driver on 2 holes as my short game is ropey so course management is key

75 yards is a 3/4 lob wedge for me so not a massive issue unless i decide to thin the granny out of it.

50 yards is a 1/2 lob wedge but i have been trying to play them with straight arms - a long putting stroke.

25 yards is a chip n run unless there is a hazard in the way.

Mandofred

Visit site
When I practice (hardly at all lately and I'm playing great....go figure...) I put out small cones at 30-50-70+90 yds. That covers all my wedges. If I hit a shag bag of balls (about 90) I just run through those distances (and hitting the spots between cones)....after the first 5-10 shots I don't hit more than 2 shots in a row with the same club. We have a pretty small practice area, so if there is anybody else out there I ONLY hit these short shots.....it's not long enough for me to hit driver without killing somebody on the 7th green. Killing people is bad.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
When I practice (hardly at all lately and I'm playing great....go figure...) I put out small cones at 30-50-70+90 yds. That covers all my wedges. If I hit a shag bag of balls (about 90) I just run through those distances (and hitting the spots between cones)....after the first 5-10 shots I don't hit more than 2 shots in a row with the same club. We have a pretty small practice area, so if there is anybody else out there I ONLY hit these short shots.....it's not long enough for me to hit driver without killing somebody on the 7th green. Killing people is bad.

unless they change their shoes in the car park

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Any tips appreciated.
First tip is to ignore these videos, totally wrong. Trying to 'help' the ball into the air by flicking is just asking for troube

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I can't see this being true for the vast majority. It doesn't matter how bad you are at chipping or good you are with a wedge you won't be more accurate from 100 yards than you are from 25yards.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
In my opinion, the best way to control these shorter shorts is by altering the length of the back swing and follow through.
Look up the clock face drill on You tube and you'll find lots of videos how to do it.
Then practice

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I can't see this being true for the vast majority. It doesn't matter how bad you are at chipping or good you are with a wedge you won't be more accurate from 100 yards than you are from 25yards.

Plus, if you cant hit these shorter shots, what happens if you duff your second shot and come up 50 yards short?
For me that's PW, bottom of the grip, 9-3

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Might not work for everyone but...
One wedge and practice practice practice
I use a 50 degree from 5 yards to 95 yards, from fairway, bunkers and rough
Putting stroke, full stroke, chips and pitch's, flop shots, grip down, grip up, open face, closed face etc etc

No club choice to make takes a variable out, just choose the (obvious) stroke for distance and lie

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The key for me was to work out how far a half swing goes with all of my clubs (just trial and error one day when the course is empty), and secondly, do not slow down in the swing. Sometimes doing a half swing I subconsciously slow it down, and that's when I duff them. You have to commit to swinging the same speed as your normal swing (or as near as you can), just with a shorter backswing.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Take the pressure off and stop trying to hit it close, aim at the middle of the green and just get it somewhere on there. Also, you probably don’t need to hit a high shot, so don’t. Lower lofted clubs are much more forgiving of a less than perfect strike.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Over the past 1.5 years, this is where I've probably improved the most and it's noticeable the difference it has made to my scoring.

I've found my focus has to be commitment through the ball - 1/4 swings or 1/2 swings (any swing!) as long as I accelerate through the ball the shot is rarely awful. It's a range that covers a multitude of sins; poor tee shots can be rescued with a 3rd shot that gives you a decent chance at a single putt after your back in play or recovery 2nd shot.

My up & down % is significantly better, particularly on days I don't actually feel I'm playing well.