Any thoughts on gamesmanship in competitions?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If your are unhappy with their behaviour, tell them as soon as it happens. Walking on lines and standing in front of you are definitely out of order. If it persists, I'd simply say do it one more and I'm making an official complaint to the club and captain. It's hard and there is a degree of gamesmanship that can exist in matchplay scenario but in strokeplay its out of order

Dealing specifically with ' standing in front' - even the ettiquette rules were changed to reflect a more sensible and realistic approach to this (than previously); and the focus is now on not interfering etc.
You will observe most pro groups moving to their ball nowadays rather than waiting behind the player to play.
This isn't a suggestion that standing in front of a player playing is always the right thing to do - just highlighting that the focus is on neither interfering nor being in an unsafe position; but being nearer the hole is positively encouraged nowadays - where a couple of decades ago it was seen as a heinious crime against etiquette!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Dealing specifically with ' standing in front' - even the ettiquette rules were changed to reflect a more sensible and realistic approach to this (than previously); and the focus is now on not interfering etc.
You will observe most pro groups moving to their ball nowadays rather than waiting behind the player to play.
This isn't a suggestion that standing in front of a player playing is always the right thing to do - just highlighting that the focus is on neither interfering nor being in an unsafe position; but being nearer the hole is positively encouraged nowadays - where a couple of decades ago it was seen as a heinious crime against etiquette!

I accept that but the OP was clear the PP's were walking on lines. That to me has always been a no-no and bang out of order and is something you'll see the pros be especially vigilant of doing. If they were knowingly doing it and knowing it was affecting the OP then it was deliberate and out of order

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will usually announce on the first tee, to any of my FCs if they're catching my eye, " could you please move to the HRSP as i have very wide peripheral vision " . :ears:

VNB

Visit site
Yeah can see how that would have far worse effect. Because of the history this pair have the comp sec has written to their club asking for action to be taken on the tactics they use. Thanks for all replies to this thread it has been very interesting.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Must admit I do enjoy the odd [/]game that has a bit of needle. A little gamesmanship (up to a point) can be expected in matchplay, but in strokeplay? - totally out of order :mad:

When I'm faced with similar (although not as bad as the OP), a firm word with mention of things like 'gross breach of etiquette' usually does the trick... along with making sure I reset and rerun through a lengthy PSR every time they're in my way / moving whilst putting etc - they soon get bored :)

Oh and nudging your electric trolley on or banging a buggy door just as they're about to hit are nice little tricks too if you want to score a retaliatory point or two (not that I'm condonimg it ;); )

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I accept that but the OP was clear the PP's were walking on lines. That to me has always been a no-no and bang out of order and is something you'll see the pros be especially vigilant of doing. If they were knowingly doing it and knowing it was affecting the OP then it was deliberate and out of order

Which is why I started my post with "dealing specifically with standing in front" in response to your statement "Walking on lines and standing in front of you are definitely out of order"...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
"Ahem - Excuse me - but you do realise that you have walked all over my line?"

The only gamesmanship (if it can be called that) that I employ is around gimmes when playing matchplay. I don't particularly say anything - indeed my gamesmanship on gimmes (if it be that) is that I say precisely nothing :)

And if someone is doing something that you thing is gamesmanship - I wouldn't call it out as such - but I would certainly point out what is disturbing me. So if I was bothered about where someone was standing when I was about to play a tee shot - well you all know what I'd say :)

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Can only remember one time when I've been the victim of gamesmanship in a match...and it wasn't from the opposition players!!

Was playing for the club in an away match and we had a group of around a dozen spectators following our game (foursomes). One of the home spectators was on a buggy and he made a point of driving off ahead after completition of a hole behind their pair but ahead of my partner and I....and promptly parked it so it blocking the path to the tee. Thought is was an accident at first but when he did it a second time I politely asked him to move it which he did grudgingly....when he did it a third time I got in the buggy myself and drove it as far into deep undergrowth as I could....had it wedged nicely between two prickly bushes and was the last we saw of him.

Same match there was a gent and his wife and daughter joined us after about six holes....when it was our turn to tee off one of them would gently squeeze the water bottles they were carrying during our set up and swing, making a popping noise (never did it during their players tee shots)....I ignored it for three holes before taking the bloke aside quietly and asked him if he/wife/daughter (they each had a bottle!!) could refrain from what they were doing but giving him the benefit of the doubt that he was probably doing it subconsciously.

When it recurred on the next tee I turned to him and told him in a much louder voice so everyone else could hear that it obviously wasn't him popping the bottle, because I'd asked him previously to stop, and therefore it must either be his wife or daughter, and if he couldn't control them then perhaps it would be best if he took them home!!

Funnily enough they disappeared shortly thereafter as well.

Franco

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can only remember one time when I've been the victim of gamesmanship in a match...and it wasn't from the opposition players!!

Was playing for the club in an away match and we had a group of around a dozen spectators following our game (foursomes). One of the home spectators was on a buggy and he made a point of driving off ahead after completition of a hole behind their pair but ahead of my partner and I....and promptly parked it so it blocking the path to the tee. Thought is was an accident at first but when he did it a second time I politely asked him to move it which he did grudgingly....when he did it a third time I got in the buggy myself and drove it as far into deep undergrowth as I could....had it wedged nicely between two prickly bushes and was the last we saw of him.

Same match there was a gent and his wife and daughter joined us after about six holes....when it was our turn to tee off one of them would gently squeeze the water bottles they were carrying during our set up and swing, making a popping noise (never did it during their players tee shots)....I ignored it for three holes before taking the bloke aside quietly and asked him if he/wife/daughter (they each had a bottle!!) could refrain from what they were doing but giving him the benefit of the doubt that he was probably doing it subconsciously.

When it recurred on the next tee I turned to him and told him in a much louder voice so everyone else could hear that it obviously wasn't him popping the bottle, because I'd asked him previously to stop, and therefore it must either be his wife or daughter, and if he couldn't control them then perhaps it would be best if he took them home!!

Funnily enough they disappeared shortly thereafter as well.

That's exactly the way to deal with the situation.