Any thoughts on gamesmanship in competitions?

VNB

Visit site
Hi this is my first posting but would like to ask how to deal with blatant gamesmanship. A friend and myself recently entered a seniors pairs open at our club, being one of our first competitions.
Obviously we were both a little nervous but we were scoring OK and it quickly became apparent our opponents weren't happy with this so then began a barrage of moves designed to put us off.
First off they started ranting about the group in front playing slowly this was on the second tee! Next was walking over our line on the green and moving when we were taking our putts. The next thing was to stand in front of us while we took our shots and lots of other little things, how can we deal with this in the future as it did spoil the comp for us.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never had this and it sounds quite unpleasant. I'm pretty sure my response would be quite direct and call them out on each issue. Not necessarily the slow play one but standing on your line, in front of you etc I would highlight immediately.

Unfortunately it would be a very icy 18 but you would just have to right off that 18 as one of those things. Sad people.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Put a stop to it ASAP. Tell them to stop, grow up and laugh at them. Often.

Was it actually gamesmanship or just pure ignorance? That might temper the response, but either way either laugh it off or call it out. I can't say I've ever come across it myself playing golf opens. )or even club matches)

I remember moving from Surrey to Wilts in the late 80s... playing cricket in the Western League was first time I experienced sledging." Walked out to bat and the bowler said something loud and rude towards me. First ball was a juicy half volley.. it went straight back over his head and smashed into the sight screen.

"Not bad for a XXXX!" I said with a smile! That stopped it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
All of those things happen (and not just in senior events!).

Most is pure ignorance, although the slow play complaint might be a bit late for some people I play with - their ranting starts over coffee before we have even teed off!

Walking over lines is a bit more of a senior thing - many aren't great at repairing minor green damage either (if you need a thingy on the end of your putter handle to remove the ball from the hole how do you expect to get down and repair the green).

If particular behaviour causes you distress then just raise it politely, and precisely, with them early on. If they continue regardless then you have at least established that they are doing it deliberately and that they are not nice people to play with. All you can do then is take strength from the fact that they feel that can't beat you 'fair and square'; ignore it and hammer them with your game.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Think i had someone doing this to me in one of my first medals. I made sure to ask them to move, reset my prep for shots etc (I'm pretty proud of stopping a swing when he started walking in my backswing). After 7 holes it was all gravy.

made a mental note to avoid the guy in future rounds.

Rustique

Hacker
Visit site
Hi
There is only you and your partner that can judge whether it was on purpose or ignorance
Some get so engrossed they may not realise
If I found myself in this situation they would be duely spoken to about it ,

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The only person it can rattle is you.

The only person who has control of this is you.

Just let it wash over. Who cares? What happens, happens. Chill out a bit.

VNB

Visit site
Hi yes but I have always treated my fellow players with courtesy and respect so to have people standing in front of you while taking a shot is a bit off putting to say the least.

VNB

Visit site
Hi yes thanks for reply will do as you say just a bit of a shock to the system when it happens for first time.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Was it really gamesmanship? Sounds like a general round with us!
We play ready play so we are always moving so always ahead of the person hitting.
Not fussed about stepping on lines as 20 other folk before us along with the mower have gone over it.
Being quiet isn’t really a thing either.
And they’ll always be a whine about slow play whether infront or behind us!

I suspect you didn’t get a pairing who plays like you do, so wasn’t quite a good match up of “golf personalities”.

VNB

Visit site
Has since come to light this pairing is well known on the comp circuit and nobody else would partner them. Next time I shall make it very clear I won't tolerate that sort of disrespect ok if you play with them regularly maybe.

Franco

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is one member that is occasionally drawn in the same group as me. He makes a point of standing over the hole when someone else is putting. He also likes to park his trolley closer to the ball than the person actually playing that ball. He will also stand so close to someone making a putt that other players tell him to move. I have no problem asking him firmly but politely, to move away and at some point during the round his behaviour improves. I tend to believe that he has grown used to doing this over many years; I also believe he does it deliberately.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Was it really gamesmanship? Sounds like a general round with us!
We play ready play so we are always moving so always ahead of the person hitting.
Not fussed about stepping on lines as 20 other folk before us along with the mower have gone over it.
Being quiet isn’t really a thing either.
And they’ll always be a whine about slow play whether infront or behind us!

I suspect you didn’t get a pairing who plays like you do, so wasn’t quite a good match up of “golf personalities”.

You sound like the most unpleasant player possible to play with/against.

Moving when someone is playing a shot, poor form.
Stepping on someones line, just plain wrong.
Not being quiet when someone plays....how incredibly rude, first rule of golf, go look it up.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It's basic etiquette, or in their case, lack of.
In your position I would stop and wait for them to shut up or stop and if they asked me why I'd say I'm just waiting till they're finished. That basically turns it back on them and if they moan then all the better as its backfired. It's not confrontational, just standing my ground. If they walked on my line I'd point it out to them every time.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Hi this is my first posting but would like to ask how to deal with blatant gamesmanship. A friend and myself recently entered a seniors pairs open at our club, being one of our first competitions.
Obviously we were both a little nervousbut we were scoring OK and it quickly became apparent our opponents weren't happy with this so then began a barrage of moves designed to put us off.
First off they started ranting about the group in front playing slowly this was on the second tee! Next was walking over our line on the green and moving when we were taking our putts. The next thing was to stand in front of us while we took our shots and lots of other little things, how can we deal with this in the future as it did spoil the comp for us.

Did you tee off the 10th???
If not, your playing partners must have been pretty astute as they started their gamesmanship after only watching you play one hole???
Did you both have eagles on it or something????

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you tee off the 10th???
If not, your playing partners must have been pretty astute as they started their gamesmanship after only watching you play one hole???
Did you both have eagles on it or something????

Thats what i thought. Also standing in front of you whilst taking your shot? Did they have a death wish or something?

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's basic etiquette, or in their case, lack of.
In your position I would stop and wait for them to shut up or stop and if they asked me why I'd say I'm just waiting till they're finished. That basically turns it back on them and if they moan then all the better as its backfired. It's not confrontational, just standing my ground. If they walked on my line I'd point it out to them every time.
I picked up this useful line on here for people who carry on talking when you are about to play.
"sorry - is my golf interfering with your conversation?"

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If your are unhappy with their behaviour, tell them as soon as it happens. Walking on lines and standing in front of you are definitely out of order. If it persists, I'd simply say do it one more and I'm making an official complaint to the club and captain. It's hard and there is a degree of gamesmanship that can exist in matchplay scenario but in strokeplay its out of order

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I picked up this useful line on here for people who carry on talking when you are about to play.
"sorry - is my golf interfering with your conversation?"

Ha! 😃 Used that exact line last week on the first tee to much amusement but fair to say the message got home :thup: