Any chance of unlocking the Spieth is a choker thread please mods

D

Deleted member 1147

well according to the masters thread Rory has choked it all over Augusta chasing tonight :whistle:
Rory wins he’s amazing...Rory loses he’s rubbish.
That’s how the forum goes. It’s basically like the tabloids!

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
well according to the masters thread Rory has choked it all over Augusta chasing tonight :whistle:

Ok, to clarify. Imo, choking is when you’re in a realistic position to do something and faulter due to nerves (not ability).

Rory and Reed were clear favourites and both have faltered in comparison to a lot of the field.

For the record cord I don’t think Rory chocked, i think he’s simply streaky. Yesterday was a good run, today a bad one. On his game unplayable, but when not on it, doesnt tend to get the win, where as others till can with their b game.

D

Deleted member 1147

For the record cord I don’t think Rory chocked, i think he’s simply streaky. Yesterday was a good run, today a bad one. On his game unplayable, but when not on it, doesnt tend to get the win, where as others till can with their b game.

Agreed

D

Deleted member 16999

Ok, to clarify. Imo, choking is when you’re in a realistic position to do something and faulter due to nerves (not ability).

Rory and Reed were clear favourites and both have faltered in comparison to a lot of the field.

Reed didn’t falter he was under par, the challengers didn’t do enough.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah definitely bottled it today, the challenge of winning all 4 majors proved too much this week. Augusta obviously holds some pretty poor memories for him and I think that shows

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Reed didn’t falter he was under par, the challengers didn’t do enough.

I didn’t say he didn’t do enough, the winner is the lowest score over 4 days.

But today today challengers hit 5plus under. He hit one under. Therefore IN COMPARISON his round was as good. Which is exactly what i said.

D

Deleted member 16999

I didn’t say he didn’t do enough, the winner is the lowest score over 4 days.

But today today challengers hit 5plus under. He hit one under. Therefore IN COMPARISON his round was as good. Which is exactly what i said.
How can he have faltered in any way, shape or form in breaking par and winning, no matter how good the challengers scored IN COMPARISON to him, it wasn’t enough from them.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Completely different mindset going out knowing you have to be aggressive and go low just to have a chance, reed had a 3 shot lead at the beginning of the day so his mind set is going to be keep it tight birdie the odd hole don't give it away. Incredible round by spieth regardless, also good to see Rickie playing better on the last day of a major good birdie at the last to ask the question

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
How can he have faltered in any way, shape or form in breaking par and winning, no matter how good the challengers scored IN COMPARISON to him, it wasn’t enough from them.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Cant be arsed to go round In circles when discussing AN OPINION So I’ll bow out.

Nitey nite.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Spieth played a great round and then choked on the 18th tee

A birdie on the last could been a play off and he bogied it

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the game of golf is "fluid" even at the highest level in a major.

all of us who play who coach who practice know how fickle the game can be

what if patrick & rory or any one of the players just a tad further away were to go to the range before the tee and the club did not feel "right" in their hands or the backswing did not feel the same as the last few days or the swing "thoughts & feels" did not seem to be working ...

that happens to golfers each & everyday even if they are just playing a casual round of golf

my point being that this might have happened to either one today or both ... or any chasers & it would be easy to assume they "choked".....but did they ...

do people always "choke" when they don't play well ... i think not.

other players other than patrick or rory would know they would have to take more of a gamble in their shot selections in the pursuit of the 2 guys out in front

the margins of success or failure in any particular shot would be magnified because of the unique smallness of the target landing areas at augusta

maybes the one who handled the nerves & the uncomfortable moments may well be the one that wins
but that does not also mean the one/s who did not - choked

there are very few sure things in golf except that it will always be different day to day & shot to shot

congrats to patrick

Last edited:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Spieth played a great round and then choked on the 18th tee

A birdie on the last could been a play off and he bogied it

Hitting that one branch couldn't have helped. He knew he needed to make birdie and went for it. It didn't pay off. That's not choking. Taking a 7 iron off the tee for safety would have been choking.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think it's quite disrespectful to suggest that these guys choke when they don't win. Is anyone suggesting that Rory choked? or Rahm? Etc etc

In the end Reed did all he needed to do on a very very difficult course and he had a superb win, Speith gave a real good go and made the final round more exciting than it otherwise might have been, given Rory couldnt buy a putt, but one misplaced shot at Augusta can ruin a round as I'm sure Sergio can testify - or did he choke too?

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think that Rory did choke as opposed to playing poorly. He puts so much pressure on himself (as do others) his mental strength at this time can't stand up to it.

Congrats to Reed - done what he had to do. As regards the chasers with little to no realistic chance of winning, it's much easier for them to play well as they have nothing to loose. No pressure. Pressure does affect us all and no reason as to why it wouldn't affect Rory and others as the past has shown

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The whole last round hinged on that putt at the 2nd.
If that had gone in - Rory wins.
The momentum of picking up 3 shots in 2 holes would have propelled him...
It didn't and he had to keep chasing.
He didn't play the first particularly well but hit two screamers on the 2nd.
Drop the putt - win the World.......
His putting was suspect...again I'm afraid.