Another Swing Video

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Since there's been a couple recently I thought I'd stick mine up as I think it's pretty settled now (not for the want of trying to change!).

I went to the range tonight and took the camera for the first time in a while, so I probably filmed more than I needed to. You can ignore most of it if you get bored as it's quite a few swings just trying different shots and wanted to keep a record of it for myself, but I have cut all the inbetween stuff out.

There's one particular thing I don't like about my swing, and another that's present in these that shouldn't be but I forgot something at setup :(......... Memory problems :mad:

All comments welcome - good or bad, and by knowledgeable/expert or otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbHIib8ZPcQ&feature=youtu.be

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice swing as well, one thing that sticks out for me as when you're following through, mostly in the shorter irons you bring your hands right around to the left quite quickly. If that was me I'd be pulling those but they seem to be going straight for you!

Nice swing overall though. Lovely flight from the longer irons!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I did notice that but in my defence (if I need one) I've had rotator cuff tendinitis in my left shoulder for I don't know how long - somewhere between 6 and 12 months at a guess - so think my follow through might have evolved to compensate.

Having said that it might not have anything to do with it ;)

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd view that as a completely valid excuse.

My view for swings is that as long as your making good contact with the ball and getting it to go where you want it, then it doesn't matter what it looks like.

We all would like a picturesque swing but it's like the holy grail really!

My swing is far from perfect, I look to ensure that my basic fundamentals are correct at the top, through impact then with a decent pose at the end!

I'd still take your swing gladly though!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Looks a very consistent, repeatable swing.

You do seem to change your height quite a bit though, both on the backswing (considered 'bad' as balance affected) and the downswing (considered 'good; as legs add power).

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looks a very consistent, repeatable swing.

You do seem to change your height quite a bit though, both on the backswing (considered 'bad' as balance affected) and the downswing (considered 'good; as legs add power).

Something else that I do as well. Is dropping the shoulder slightly.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Early extension, steep into the ball, double knee bend.... you raise a bit on your backswing and the downswing is kind of a 'collapse' into your legs.

You knock it round nicely though Gary, so no worries! :lol:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If thats how you talk about Garys swing theres zero chance mines being put up to be torn to pieces!!!

Nice swing Gary, keep shooting good scores. One small observation, the 1/2 shots with the gap wedge you still swing almost fully on the way back and then saw off the follow through a bit, ideally should be looking to shorten the back swing a bit (something im trying to work on unsuccesfully lol)

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
A very nice swing that Gary. My only comment as far as possible room for improvement goes, would be the length of backswing.

The shaft goes beyond parallel at the top. The effect of overswing is supposed to be irregular power so it would be interesting to know if you see variance in distance with the same club. I know that I used to. People talk about the "laid off" position at the top. This is where the iron (especially shorter irons) doesnt go back anywhere near parallel, infact its more 3/4 or less even with full shots.

Your swing plane IMO is perfect and something I want to try an emulate.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If thats how you talk about Garys swing theres zero chance mines being put up to be torn to pieces!!!

Hehe.... Gary knows me ... he'd expect no less from me. :thup:
Not much point in me elaborating for Gary so might aswell point out the obvious.
As I said - he knows that.

With your swing I'd only speak of sunshine and flowers. Nice flowing sentences and uber polite words, like this.. "Beautiful rhythm in your swing Fundy, where can I get hold of such a smooth, powerful action? I want that swing!"

:D

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hehe.... Gary knows me ... he'd expect no less from me. :thup:
Not much point in me elaborating for Gary so might aswell point out the obvious.
As I said - he knows that.

With your swing I'd only speak of sunshine and flowers. Nice flowing sentences and uber polite words, like this.. "Beautiful rhythm in your swing Fundy, where can I get hold of such a smooth, powerful action? I want that swing!"

:D

haha nice try James but not falling for it. Probably should put it on film, been a while though may be a bit of a horror video

S

Snelly

Looks good. No critical observations from me apart from one minor point around tempo which looks a little quick to my eye, especially in the backswing. Looks like nice clean hitting through the ball though.

I'm definitely going to put my swing up for review too. Not sure I have the editing skills that you've got though Gary!

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Look like you repeat the motion very well, and it obviously works for you so no need to change anything.
Left knee looks like it collapses a touch on follow through but that could just be my eyes.

A

Alex1975

Beautiful Gary, effortless!

Steve, want me to post your driver swing from your first day back after a winter of injury? You will hate it but I still worship it on a weekly basis....:)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Beautiful Gary, effortless!

Steve, want me to post your driver swing from your first day back after a winter of injury? You will hate it but I still worship it on a weekly basis....:)

can do mate I dont mind, expect its pretty different to now (Im over 3 stone lighter for a start)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments chaps.

Foxholer :
I'd love to stop changing my height like that as I'd guess it's mostly responsible for my inconsistent contact on the bad days. I do try, but as I've found out many times when I've filmed my swing, feel is nowhere near real most of the time.

JustOne :
Early extension - check. It's been my companion since I started playing.
Jelly legs - check. See early extension.
Definitely appreciate being told how it is, you know that. I'm getting to the stage now where I try to improve things, think it's going well then film myself and see it's no different, so think I should maybe I should just accept it and stop trying to change. I'm sure I can stay where I am reasonably comfortably swinging like I do now, but might struggle to get any lower with the inconsistency of strike that I have.

fundy & Piece :
The main reason I filmed the shorter (ha!) swings was to see if I really was swinging to where I thought I was. Another dose of "feel vs real" FAIL.
On the plus side I do get 3 fairly repeatable distances with my 3 swings, so now have room to add another (real 1/2) swing for another distance with each wedge. :)
Yes, I did skull one of the wedges. I also shanked one but that swing is on the editing room floor.

sawtooth :
I thought laid off meant getting to parallel (or at least close to it) but with the club pointing left of target?
Overswinging is something I thought I'd got rid of, but it's a lot better than it used to be.

Snelly :
Windows Live Movie Maker, if you have a Windows computer. It's so easy.
Drag and drop video clips into it then you can split them anywhere you like and delete bits you don't want. What remains automatically gets stitched together.
Give me a shout if you want any more specifics, you won't believe how easy it is.

JT77 :
Not your eyes. Bambi's legs are more stable than mine :mad:

G1BBO :
At least my faults are consistent enough to look the same each time :D
(It was Burghley Park ;))

Sorry for the long-winded post. Thanks again to all.