Another course gone

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Seems to me like they could potentially double the revenue they get from 2for1 vouchers, perhaps the thinking is, everywhere else locally accepts them. I certainly would rather a club I was a member of received the full value of the green fees from visitors

They might....or it might attract additional traffic that wouldn't pay full rate.

Therin lies the difficulty. Getting the balance right. Clubs have to run tight ships, and yet invest to maintain quality of product. It's tough. Very tough.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Saw a piece in the last week saying Whitby GC has problems meeting its rent payments to Scarborough Borough Council. There is a possibility that the Council will take back some of the land, the club losing nine holes. The club is down on numbers, as are so many. What the future holds who knows.

For those of you within reasonable travelling distance I'd recommend a visit, maybe put a society visit together. Its a cracking little course, with a great location on the cliff top - you can imagine the views. It doesn't beat you up if you're having a bad day but it is a fair test too.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just checked on the golf clubs for sale site, seems one of my locals has just been sold (northdowns) which doesn’t surprise me as it’s surrounded with stronger clubs.

noticed sweetwoods is also forsale.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Saw a piece in the last week saying Whitby GC has problems meeting its rent payments to Scarborough Borough Council. There is a possibility that the Council will take back some of the land, the club losing nine holes. The club is down on numbers, as are so many. What the future holds who knows.

For those of you within reasonable travelling distance I'd recommend a visit, maybe put a society visit together. Its a cracking little course, with a great location on the cliff top - you can imagine the views. It doesn't beat you up if you're having a bad day but it is a fair test too.
I've played here a few times when we've stopped at the caravan site over the road. Is not a bad course but when I played you could see it was suffering from lack of investment. Bunkers in poor condition, tee's not looked after. Some nice holes but I know they lost a few to coastal erosion. They built some extra holes over the road and I guess that's what could go for housing or something similar if they have to. They've been there for 125 years next year, basically almost the same as Eastwood when it closed.