Another course gone

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This has been discussed on a few threads previously and the issue is there are now a lot of areas where there are too many courses to meet demand and so some will sadly fade away. I doubt we will ever get back to the days of too many people and not enough courses but most clubs have had to move with the times as far as clothing, membership, joining, etc. so I can't see them going back to the blazer days.

Would I still be asked to move from sitting at a particular table by the window of the EastRen clubhouse as I was many, many moons ago - because I was sitting where the 5 O'Clock club sat.

Only kidding - I know I wouldn't - I don't think...:)

BTW - I've heard that 17 and 18 are well on the road to a full recovery (y)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Would I still be asked to move from sitting at a particular table by the window of the EastRen clubhouse as I was many, many moons ago - because I was sitting where the 5 O'Clock club sat.

Only kidding - I know I wouldn't - I don't think...:)

BTW - I've heard that 17 and 18 are well on the road to a full recovery (y)
No there no sacred cows any more 😉
17 & 18 are looking much better as are the new bunkers

D

Deleted member 17920

Gutted for them, I met the owner a few times and a really nice chap. I used the club quite a few times for food when I was at the beach walking the hound and it was never busy enough.

So in Lincolnshire over the last few weeks we have had 3 close.

Sandilands
Canwick Park
Immingham

Not a good sign of the times.
And just to bump a thread.

Boston West announced today they are closing the golf course on the 31st July, they are keeping the clubhouse as a wedding venue.

Golf clubs in Lincolnshire are really not having the best of luck at the minute.

Wolf

Visit site

Boston West announced today they are closing the golf course on the 31st July, they are keeping the clubhouse as a wedding venue.

Golf clubs in Lincolnshire are really not having the best of luck at the minute.
You beat me to it LQ. This was a topic of discussion at our place today.

I was pretty a shocked as only went to use the range there recently and it looked a decent course from what I saw, I quite fancied playing it.

From a brief chat with our pro he said they're planning to keep the range as well as club house. But the plan was to literally just let the course over grow and go to ruins.

From what he said they only had 300 members paid up to play, I can't see how that would have kept it viable as a business what with overheads etc.

Like you say golf in Lincolnshire seems to be struggling isn't that the 3rd closure in a year.

D

Deleted member 17920

You beat me to it LQ. This was a topic of discussion at our place today.

I was pretty a shocked as only went to use the range there recently and it looked a decent course from what I saw, I quite fancied playing it.

From a brief chat with our pro he said they're planning to keep the range as well as club house. But the plan was to literally just let the course over grow and go to ruins.

From what he said they only had 300 members paid up to play, I can't see how that would have kept it viable as a business what with overheads etc.

Like you say golf in Lincolnshire seems to be struggling isn't that the 3rd closure in a year.
I think they will use the land for log cabins. The course is actually quite decent.

Such a shame as it should have done really well with a hotel on site.

Wolf

Visit site
I think they will use the land for log cabins. The course is actually quite decent.

Such a shame as it should have done really well with a hotel on site.
It looked it when I was there few weeks back to use range.

Seems ideally located to thrive, but I have been seeing a lot of ads on social media recently advertising members etc, so guew they struggled for a while

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No there no sacred cows any more 😉
17 & 18 are looking much better as are the new bunkers

And I have heard recently that Eastwood GC is closing - or has now closed? Now that's sad as I played it many times - my best mate being a member back in the day.

I guess just too many decent courses in the immediate area? Though tbh though I thought one of Cathcart Castle or Williamwood might one day go Eastwood was never on my radar for closure.

Visit site

Grimsby golf club has just sold/ or selling the 5th and 8th holes for property, as they want to clear debt. Talk of 2 holes being put on the waste land down by the 7th.
They’ve certain lost one of the toughest holes on the course the 5th.
Just inept running of the club over the years.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
And I have heard recently that Eastwood GC is closing - or has now closed? Now that's sad as I played it many times - my best mate being a member back in the day.

I guess just too many decent courses in the immediate area? Though tbh though I thought one of Cathcart Castle or Williamwood might one day go Eastwood was never on my radar for closure.
Yes, sadly they closed a month ago. It was discussed in this thread
EASTWOOD
I made my comments on the other thread but I think that it was really down to a case of poor management and not moving with the times (e.g. ALL Past Captains never paid an annual subscription after their tenure as Captain!).
As a club, we've been fortunate to take on a number of their members which is obviously a benefit to our club.
As I said, it's a salutary lesson about how things can go wrong and if not addressed can really have major consequences for the club.
I've said it before but I really think that moving to a Board of Management and a Club Manager was the saving of our club as it means the running is spread across people with appropriate skills managing the different aspects of the club rather than most of the pressure being heaped on one person (usually the Captain with the assistance of the Committee).

Wolf

Visit site
Yes, sadly they closed a month ago. It was discussed in this thread
EASTWOOD
I made my comments on the other thread but I think that it was really down to a case of poor management and not moving with the times (e.g. ALL Past Captains never paid an annual subscription after their tenure as Captain!).
As a club, we've been fortunate to take on a number of their members which is obviously a benefit to our club.
As I said, it's a salutary lesson about how things can go wrong and if not addressed can really have major consequences for the club.
I've said it before but I really think that moving to a Board of Management and a Club Manager was the saving of our club as it means the running is spread across people with appropriate skills managing the different aspects of the club rather than most of the pressure being heaped on one person (usually the Captain with the assistance of the Committee).
What sort of ridiculous business model is that. Say someone is captain at 40years old and continues to be a member until their later years 75ish. Thats 35 years free membership for someone, factor in a new captain each year and that's a ridiculously high percentage of members get free golf for life.

Where do people come up with these ludicrous ideas.

Siolag

Visit site
What sort of ridiculous business model is that. Say someone is captain at 40years old and continues to be a member until their later years 75ish. Thats 35 years free membership for someone, factor in a new captain each year and that's a ridiculously high percentage of members get free golf for life.

Where do people come up with these ludicrous ideas.

I was on the committee of my athletics club until recently and we had an honorary membership for Scottish champions. When it was first introduced, we had one guy who had it, but it’s now about 15 I think. Plenty of us think it should go, but as it’s been in place no one wants to.
Having said that, the cost is very low and we don’t have a golf course to maintain (or indeed any facilities). I could see the merit in giving a free membership for a year after captaincy, but an open ended one seems like madness.

Wolf

Visit site
Been down visiting family this weekend in sunny Kent, getting few bits sorted for our wedding and whilst waiting was chatting to my dad. He told me According to his playing partners there are rumours that Mid Kent Golf club is being put under severe pressure by local authorities looking to make a compulsory purchase of the Land for additional houses for the growing population in that area.

Apparently its rumoured they're looking at trying to buy the old Deangate Ridge club to reopen as mid Kent, but if they can't do that could just be curtains..

Not sure how accurate that all is but it's an interesting development in Kent area of it happens

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
On my way up to cosford to see my daughter and son in law I saw that one of the stapleford Abbott’s courses looked like it had closed as the fairways were massively overgrown

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Just another update on Eastwood Golf Club.
£750K for the land although the new owner is still to be identified. However, given the fact the course is totally overgrown and there are already too many courses in the area I'd be surprised if it was resurrected as a golf course.

Read that the other day. Seems bizarre.

I wonder if there would be any scope for a 6 or 9 hole par 3 course, maybe maximum length of 130 yards, short game area?

Can't see it ever taking off as a course again, the members have left, joined other courses etc.

D

Deleted member 17920

Good news sort off, Boston West that’s closed a few months ago has been sold and they are re opening the back 9 as a pay and play only for now.

Hope it works out for them.