Another course gone

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Three reported here including Dollar
Three more golf courses to close
I think we'll see more of these as we get to the Winter and people start looking at changing clubs. Not good news for the members or golf in general.
A lack of interest in golf and an ageing membership was cited as a reason at Dollar and I think this can apply to many clubs.
Sadly, vandalism has been a contributory factor at South Leeds.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes S Leeds has steadily declined to barely 20 members, no Pro or Greenkeeper for some time now. Last Farewell Comp tomorrow.
Their Scratch Team had just gained promotion to Div 1 to compete with Moortown, Sanfmoor etc.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
To be honest the sensible thing is to get the number of clubs down, the UK has to high a ratio of clubs per club golfer and that's the simple reason clubs are closing. The weakest will fail. The clubs left should start to benefit from the closures. I'd rather have one club thriving in a community than 2 mediocre clubs.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be honest the sensible thing is to get the number of clubs down, the UK has to high a ratio of clubs per club golfer and that's the simple reason clubs are closing. The weakest will fail. The clubs left should start to benefit from the closures. I'd rather have one club thriving in a community than 2 mediocre clubs.
We might have a few too many courses now and a diminishing number playing, but how much effcet does not being on terrestrial TV, the likes of 2 for 1 or people expecting to get deals to play for less than a bar of chocolate have?
Personally I would like people to have a good choice, and places where new people can try the game. It's losing those sort of places that will have a greater effect.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
We might have a few too many courses now and a diminishing number playing, but how much effcet does not being on terrestrial TV, the likes of 2 for 1 or people expecting to get deals to play for less than a bar of chocolate have?
Personally I would like people to have a good choice, and places where new people can try the game. It's losing those sort of places that will have a greater effect.
Well I agree in that I think The Open should have a status which makes it mandatory for it to be shown on free to view tv. I however dont think that is as big an issue as is made out. Range facilities and 9 hole public courses dont tend to be the ones which struggle (certainly up here) as this is where non club golfers tend to go to get their fix of cheap golf and as long theres not an overload of them they will do just fine. Courses should just plain refuse 2 for 1 tickets and the like IMO

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well I agree in that I think The Open should have a status which makes it mandatory for it to be shown on free to view tv. I however dont think that is as big an issue as is made out. Range facilities and 9 hole public courses dont tend to be the ones which struggle (certainly up here) as this is where non club golfers tend to go to get their fix of cheap golf and as long theres not an overload of them they will do just fine. Courses should just plain refuse 2 for 1 tickets and the like IMO

why should courses refuse 2 for 1 vouchers?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Not all clubs take 2for1.... it's a business decision. If it improves revenue, super, if not...then don't.
Seems to me like they could potentially double the revenue they get from 2for1 vouchers, perhaps the thinking is, everywhere else locally accepts them. I certainly would rather a club I was a member of received the full value of the green fees from visitors

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Seems to me like they could potentially double the revenue they get from 2for1 vouchers

Or they could lose all the revenue they get from them, if people are not prepared to pay full rates. There’s a lot of courses I will never play, because green fees are gar too high for, effectively, four or five hours entertainment. If I can get them half price, I might consider it.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Or they could lose all the revenue they get from them, if people are not prepared to pay full rates. There’s a lot of courses I will never play, because green fees are gar too high for, effectively, four or five hours entertainment. If I can get them half price, I might consider it.
They could also make the same revenue from half the traffic

RangeMonkey

Visit site
That’s true.

Usually, though, businesses only participate in this kind of deal if they see it increases revenue. If they were better off without, they probably wouldn’t be participating.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Seems to me like they could potentially double the revenue they get from 2for1 vouchers, perhaps the thinking is, everywhere else locally accepts them. I certainly would rather a club I was a member of received the full value of the green fees from visitors

We have a similar issue which I and others are looking at an answer for. We are on TeeoffTimes and it seems players can rock up for £20 on there (a separate issue is we don't technically have tee off times anyway but I digress) and yet a members guest rate is still advertised by the club as £25. So cheaper to actually pay a green fee than sign a mate in. Really don't like the fact we're on TeeoffTimes and we are definitely underselling our course (we've been fully open while all the local ones like WIndlesham, Mill Ride have been fully or partially closed) but clearly it is bringing much needed revenue. I would like to see it raised by a minimum of £5 but the club says if you hit a certain ceiling (I assume £25 is their mark) then you start to actually lose visitor numbers. I still think at £25 it is cheap and not sure where they'll get better value locally especially in the summer and argue that if people don't want to pay the extra to play then let them look around elsewhere. I still think £27.50-£30 isn't too steep