Another AG fitting thread

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
So Saturday I went to the local AG as I'd seen a used Titleist 915 D2 I liked the look of and wanted to test it against my current Cobra ZL driver (from about 2011). Turned out the Titleist wasn't for me and wasn't getting close to the performance of my current driver.

However, as it was lying there, I had a hit of the Ping G400 and OMG it was lovely. Hit 3 shots with it and admittedly 3 corkers, but the stats are hardly believable.

Averages (swing speed 92-95mph consistently):
915 D2: 210 yard carry (5 shots)
Cobra ZL: 230 yard carry (5 shots)
Ping G400: 257 yard carry (3 shots)

To the cynic, it reeks of doctoring the stats to sell a premium club. To the believer its tech in action.

Which side of the fence do you sit on? I'm a touch cynical as I'd previously been told in the very same bay, with the very same kit that my swing is 105mph with the driver, but it is evidently at least 10 mph slower than that. For this reason, I'm not sure whether to trust these monitor figures.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Did they mess with the settings on the machine after you'd hit your own driver? If not, you've still found 27 extra yards with it.

They changed the name of the club, firstly to the callaway epic in error, then to the G400. not sure if this would involve any other settings.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
in the summer an old friend went to American golf and Baught some ping irons. he said his 7 iron was going 180 during the fitting (over his usual 150 with his titleist ap1)

we played a par 3 at about 175. his face when he couldn't even hit it 150 was priceless. i insisted that he hit another ball and the same happened again. 😁

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find it depends on the store and the fitter

Your right some will tweek the settings

I watched my guy and he said do u want real numbers or on course numbers (ie it's a nice day) then we kept it same compared my stuff to the new but he got me to change my swing slightly and notice the distance change with my excisting club so gave me a kinda tip / lesson using the sim to show me the difference etc

I've been before and they told me not to buy a driver because at the time I wasn't swinging it well etc

So again depends on store.. this guy didn't want me to buy a club that wasn't right so said don't buy now u won't benefit .. went back 2 years later same guy hit again better performance

They went for the long term sale with honesty rather than fudging the numbers for a quick sale

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
Think its been tampered with. You are a similar swing speed to me and from what I've been told 250 yards is max with a driver for my swing speed only when including roll. 230 carry is about max when launch monitors give you that optimum that could be achieved.

As a rough guide Mark Crossfields well publicized 262 carry is achieved with a 106 mph club head speed.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why do people always talk about length rather than dispersion. I got fitted at AG from Ping i15 to the Mizuno jp900 and was hitting them almost the same distance,dispersion made me choose the Mizuno.My local AG in Exeter have always served me well and have good people working there.I find having common sense quite helpful

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think its been tampered with. You are a similar swing speed to me and from what I've been told 250 yards is max with a driver for my swing speed only when including roll. 230 carry is about max when launch monitors give you that optimum that could be achieved.

As a rough guide Mark Crossfields well publicized 262 carry is achieved with a 106 mph club head speed.

Having a driver that's doesn't suit and the wrong launch angle could make 30 yards longer easily achieved by a proper fitting.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't know why the instant conclusion is 'tampered'...

They will frequently change the driver name on the unit to be able to print out or refer back. Shouldn't be any settings associated with the name.

UK you are pretty much looking at Sea level altitude and just compare the carry distances unless you play links courses most of the time. It's pretty simple.

Could someone find that much more; given what was lost between the Cobra and the Titeilest it would seem pretty obvious that it is. It's entirely possible that clubhead speed also changes across drivers with different shafts and head weights as well.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Averages (swing speed 92-95mph consistently):
915 D2: 210 yard carry (5 shots)
Cobra ZL: 230 yard carry (5 shots)
Ping G400: 257 yard carry (3 shots).

To me, 257 carry with 95 mph s/s seems a little off

I'd always want to see the actual flight to see it correlates to the monitor's readings otherwise it's a bit blind

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
To me, 257 carry with 95 mph s/s seems a little off

I'd always want to see the actual flight to see it correlates to the monitor's readings otherwise it's a bit blind

Glad you pasted that bit again as i had missed the clubhead speed numbers - yep, something isn't right with 95mph and 257 carry at sea level and no wind.

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
Agree if you are talking about between 200 and 230 and I have seen that when I got fit for my current driver at Titleist but I would doubt a 257 yard carry for a 95 mph swing speed. Just being realistic, I would love my swing speed to generate a 257 carry (excluding forum yards) but there is enough evidence about nowadays which show what carry a swing speed can get.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why do people always talk about length rather than dispersion. I got fitted at AG from Ping i15 to the Mizuno jp900 and was hitting them almost the same distance,dispersion made me choose the Mizuno.My local AG in Exeter have always served me well and have good people working there.I find having common sense quite helpful

A good point well made. No point gaining an extra 10-20 yards if the ball can be 50 yards off line left and right a lot of the time. Personally I'd prefer a consistent 230 yards and a FIR figure of around 60% for my level, with my misses being no more than semi rough most of the time at worse