annoyed & upset

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
annoyed & upset

Last night thought I'd go up to the range for a bit of practice and wished I hadn't. :mad:
I particularly wanted to practice with my driver as for some reason that has gone haywire so I chose my bay (next to the entrance) and because I wasn't using all of my clubs I only took my driver, utilty and 4,5 and 6 iron. I lined them up against the bay wall in front of the mat in the order I wanted to practice in and then went to get my balls and a drink.
I had hit a few reasonable shots with the driver but felt it was just not happening so decided to go and get some tape to put on the club face so see when the ball was connecting.
I was just being handed the tape from the pro when we heard a commotion from the range, we went to have a look to find 2 guys fighting on the ground in my bay and lying on the ground next to them were my clubs, they were separated and calmed down (I found out later they were fighting over an unused mat tee, how childish :mad:) but now it was my turned to get really angry and upset as there were my clubs lying on the ground broken, my driver shaft was snapped in 2, my utility was bent and 2 of my irons shafts were damaged, splintered. Apparantly when they had started fighting they both fell into the bay wall where my clubs were propped up. Needless to say they were both shocked at the state of my clubs but neither one will take reponsibilty for the damage, I have got their names and addresses and I am going to the police to report them both for criminal damage with the support of the pro who has it all on cctv.
The pro has been really kind and helpful and has offered to loan me some clubs to tide me over till I get mine sorted out but thats not the point. Both of these men have been banned from the range for life.
I am still in shock at how petty some people can be over the smallest of things like a rubber tee.
this weekend I'm going to AG to have a look at some replacement clubs which hopefully my insurance will pay for.
I am wrong in involving the police or should I pursue it in another way?
Sorry guys for the rant but I needed to share as hubby is away and not back until Sunday :(

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it were me I'd leave the police out of it. You said that neither of them would take responsibility whilst you have the two mens details so why not tell them to each pay half the value of the damage and if not you will go to the police. The only trouble is I can't see this working as much of a way of bending their arms (it would be a bit of an idle threat) because to be honest I can't see the police taking much interest in some golf clubs being damaged when there would evidently be more pressing issues for them to deal with. And if anything it would be the actual fight that broke out that they would most probably investigate not the 'criminal damage'. If the two men refuse to pay their half of the damage, see what your insurers can do as if you have the cctv footage at least you can prove the event took place without the need to involve the police. I should think once the two men have calmed down a bit, if you try and gain sympathy from them and make them feel a bit guilty they would most probably just hand over the cash and be done with it. Do you know how much damage was done? Perhaps ask the pro the value / cost of replacing the clubs to give you an idea of what you are looking at in terms of a claim.

Best of luck with getting it sorted out though- You just don't need it do you!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think you'll have to go to the police I'm afraid even if it is only to report the crime and get a crime number for the insurance claim.

Best advice I can offer is phone the insurance company and see if you can get it sorted over the phone. Will be a lot quicker in the long run than waiting for the police to get statements etc and charge them and waiting for a court date

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I would also think about claiming from the club as it is their responsiblity to ensure this type of thing does not happen on their grounds and since the damage was on their ground I would mention it, just an idea.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I think you'll have to go to the police I'm afraid even if it is only to report the crime and get a crime number for the insurance claim.

Best advice I can offer is phone the insurance company and see if you can get it sorted over the phone. Will be a lot quicker in the long run than waiting for the police to get statements etc and charge them and waiting for a court date

tbh I think it would be a total waste of police time, and this type of thing will tie down a copper for a couple of hours when they should be catching criminals, sorry its just how I feel.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Barb that is awful,ring the Police now and insist that someone take a statement from you and give you a crime number. Stress how awful the situation was for you and how upsetting it is.

Lay it on if you need to,then make sure these thugs know that you will not take what they did lightly.

You will be in a much stronger position to "persuade" them to cough up for replacement kit.

Contacting your insurance company is the second thing I would do after the Police give you a crime number.

welshjim22

Head Pro
Visit site
I would certainly go to the Police. In an ideal world they would give you a ref and tell you thats all they can do as they would genuinely be busy with more serious crimes,. However in todays stats driven world this would be an easy case to clean up and get a stat for. I would imagine your insurance company would probably expect you to report it. You could claim you broke one club but damaged three not so sure.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I would speek to your insurers first as they may well pay out and pursue a claim against these guys to recover their money. This way you don't need to get involved in any more unpleasantness.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
That really is shocking behaviour Barb, I would write them a letter informing them that they either pay half each or you take legal action, phone the police today and get a crime reference number so you have it all documented. You will be better off getting them to pay for a new set of irons, as individual irons are more expensive + you get some new irons.

Apart from these antics it sounds a really nice Golf club, where the brawlers members?

grumpyjock

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You do not realy need a crime number for accedential damage.
As long as you can provide a receipt and an estimate for the replacement.
It would only be the excess that you may need to recover from the two men responsible.
I know what it feels like and you must be strong to get them to admit the damage if they do not then the small claims court is the next step.
Never mind you may be able to have a free fitting and such from the pro shop.

wilf_74

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am sorry to hear that Barb, i would be so peed off, my clubs are probably the worst thing they could damage, (i was more annoyed when i dinked the top of my 5 wood than when my mate crashed into the back of my porsche).

I would follow up thru the Police, as i think these guys should be taught a lesson.

Good luck with the insurance, it backs up the previous thread on having insurance, i am definatley getting it now, you just never know.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Awful stuff barb. No idea what the best course of action will be, but at the very least (and assuming the insurance pays out) I would try and get the two spanners in question to cover your excess.

What has our society come to? :(

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
tbh I think it would be a total waste of police time, and this type of thing will tie down a copper for a couple of hours when they should be catching criminals, sorry its just how I feel.

What, like motorists doing 72 MPH on the motorway? Taking old people to court for non-payment of council tax? Stopping Christians from handing out leaflets in public and all of that vital crime work ?

Get a grip

Barb - i'm very sorry you've had such a terrible experience. HJS is right that you will need a crime number to move on an insurance claim.

It's a sad reflection of human behaviour and indicative of how the innocent party often looses out to the troublemakers -again.

I'm glad that you feel that you can come on here and share it with us and perhaps one way of looking at is to think how much more distressing it would have been if you had been caught up in the actual rough and tumble.

The clubs will be replaced one way or another in due course - don't worry about it too much - think 'shiny new clubs'.

The good majority of people are generally fairly decent and i'm pleased that the pro came to your aid. It's just a few idiots that ruin it for everyone else and I hope the full weight of the law (as it stands) makes life uncomfortable for the two protagonists in due course.

Take care of yourself and try not to dwell on it too much in the short run.

kind regards,

bill

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Me personally, I would

A) speak to the two gentleman involved once they have had time to calm down and ask them if they are prepared to go half each to cover the costs. Regardless of who started the fight or argument, clearly they were both out of order and should not have been fighting. Between them, they both broke the clubs by the sound of it, and although they have no integrity to accept responsibility, you can put it too them they were both a contributry factor to the problem.

B) If this didn't work. There is no option but to call the Police (This is why you pay your taxes Barb, like everyone else) I'm sorry Parmo and anyone else who thinks the Police have more important things to deal with. Why do you think forces have introduced PCSO's and Specials? To deal with minor complaints like this. At the end of the day, if you had your car damaged in a similar way and the person responsible would neither pay up or give you his insurance details, then you would call the Police. The Police will take statements from all involved, collect CCTV, ask the males if they want to resolve the problem and if not, refere it to the courts to deal with. Criminal damage is criminal damage, regardless of what it is too, and how much it costs. They are your clubs and you shouldn't be out of pocket.

Good Luck with this, I hope you get it sorted. Keep us posted.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com

What, like motorists doing 72 MPH on the motorway? Taking old people to court for non-payment of council tax? Stopping Christians from handing out leaflets in public and all of that vital crime work ?

Get a grip

1 - imho this is wasting police time.
2 - the clubs where left unattended.
3 - You are a plonka.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Barb,

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes!

Personally I would send the boys round to grab them by their ankles and shake them until the money came out!

I'm sure we can get together a posse!

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Re: annoyed & upset

Barb
What a terrible experience. I can see you have loads of advice and not sure what I can add, except that these louts are such a***holes I suspect you're never going to get anything back from them no matter how you approach it.
I assume it was a 'commercial' range - not part of your club? Might have suggested making threatening noises in their direction, but not much point in annoying them if they have been helpful.
I think billy G. has the right approach. Be glad you didn't get in the way of their horrendous 'behaviour' and that you have the insurance. Clubs can be replaced, a broken arm or sprained ankle could take longer to fix.
Worst thing is that they have wrecked yuor weekend and clouded your experience of golf (and human nature)for a while. Hope a silver lining turns up soon.

AliB

barb

Head Pro
Visit site

Thanks all for you words of sympathy and support.
The range is not at my club (we don't have 1 so I use the 1 at our local pitch & putt) but I know the pro there very well as I usually gets my lessons from him. He has agreed to value the clubs for me and has taken it upon himself to contact the men in question (he knows them as regulars at the range) and has at least managed to get 1 of them to pay for a replacement driver and utility (which the pro has said he will supply and the choice is mine upto the value of my broken clubs when they were new) and also a written letter of apology (not sure what he has said but I don't think I want to ask).
The other guy is still adamant it wasn't his fault.
The pro has said he will write a letter of support for any insurance claim.
I have rang the insurance company and they are sending out the paperwork for me to fill in, I gave them a brief outline over the phone and they have said that there are a couple of options,
a. I claim accidental damage for the 2 irons
b. With a police crime number I can claim for criminal damage.
c. I can register my claim against the men who damaged the clubs but I could wait quite a while for them to sort it out.
As 1 of the men has agreed to pay for part of the damage I've decided not to go the police route but I'm still not sure what to do insurance wise as if I claim accidental damage will that affect my policy in the future, like a car insurance.
Both men have now officially been banned for life from the range and course for gross misconduct
This weekend I'm trying out a range of new drivers and utilities, any suggestions? so all is not lost and as you say I get to have some new shiney clubs. :)

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Sounds like it'll all work out ok then Barb.

The pro sounds a decent sort of bloke.

Glad it's getting sorted

bill