Angry golfers...

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you an angry golfer?

I personally get a little frustrated and might have a single whack on the ground with the club and a "darnit" under my breath when the thinned ball shoots off to the right, lost forever in the wilderness but that's about it.

I played on Sunday in a comp and one of the FCs was close to a seething golfer, but for the most benign reasons it was quite enjoyable but bizarre to watch. Twice he was in a greenside bunker, with a fairly tricky lie, where just getting out was more than acceptable, let alone on the green or even up near the pin. Twice he got out and up onto the green. Twice my playing partner and I said, "well out" and twice he went absolutely bat skat mental whacking the sand with his club whilst muttering expletives under his breath and throwing his club back to his bag whilst he picked up the rake.

The first time it happened, my PP and I looked at each other with a "WTF?" look on our faces. The second time we just burst out laughing.

Yes he was well in 2 or even potential 3 putt territory from the sand shot, but I'm not sure why he was expecting much better. He played off 11 but from his reaction to some quite tricky shots with "OK" outcomes he must have thought he was better than he thought he was!

I can understand wanting to be better and getting frustrated when things don't go your way, but why anyone get's SO angry is a little beyond my thinking.

Martin70

Head Pro
Visit site
The odd expletive is my limit. I don't even ram the club back in the bag, if I'm playing rubbish then there is always the chance of playing an amazing hole to enjoy instead.

Plus I put myself out of action for a couple of weeks last summer by innocently twirling my club waiting for a group to play to the green in front and lost my grip and somehow managing to land the club head in a position that broke my toe so no way am I messing around with them in temper :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a mate like this and I was always waiting for him to blow we called him Volcano. ==In the end nobody would play with him and he left the club.== Off the course really nice guy but on the course a nightmare.== Its just bad manners and puts me off my game I play to enjoy myself not to listen to his moaning and groaning ,club throwing ,and the worst one "why does this only happen to ME ".

D

Deleted member 18121

I have a thing I do where I hit and shot an immediately know its a bad one......(that could be a massive slice with a driver or even a misplaced wedge shot).... and I immediately turn away and swear to myself and then completely forget to look at where the ball is going land. It's really childish really and I'm trying to stop doing it as I lose balls unnecessarily over it.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get more angry at myself when playing alone, but I also attempt more risky shots when out myself. Correlation methinks.

I can often be heard to say, "Ach, that's rubbish!" but more often or not I just laugh at myself.

Stegsie

Head Pro
Visit site
Played with quite a few of these types over the years! Have to admit I was a little like that myself when I first started out.

I prefer to just laugh it off nowadays, as mentioned; it's a heart attack waiting to happen otherwise.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I used to be a really angry golfer, now I'll have a swear at myself on occasion but that is mostly to vent my frustration before the next shot. I'm trying to get to a neutral state where I don't let my emotions peak and trough with my play but whether I'll get there or not I don't know.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I believe I'm like most, with just the occasional expletive or thump of a club on the ground.

I have played with 'Tantrum' Tom who by the 5th is ready to kick the cat all the way up the fairway! He often goes in after 9, so really needs to sort himself out!

I've actually been asked a few times how I stay calm after bad shots - not thinking I do particularly. My reply has always been 'what's the point?'. And I remember an amusing incident at Muirfield once - all conducted very calmly - where a PP ended up borrowing a Driver for 9 holes and the afternoon round!

D

Deleted member 17920

I used to get really peed off with the bad shots and it used to bother me a lot :angry:, Now I have the odd moment and fall out with myself then I realise where I am and the fact I am playing golf for enjoyment and that normally sorts me out, Playing last Friday my mate Captain Angry was on the verge of snapping his club after another duff shot, He was about to erupt so I went over to him and told him to calm down (Not the exact words used) and enjoy the day out and sure enough he sorted himself out and played some cracking golf after :)

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is probably one of my weaker parts of my game. I get too het up about things, some of which I can't even control (PP's / conditions etc).

Need to re-read some of the books I have done in the past about being your own caddy and not getting worked up over everything!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a thing I do where I hit and shot an immediately know its a bad one......(that could be a massive slice with a driver or even a misplaced wedge shot).... and I immediately turn away and swear to myself and then completely forget to look at where the ball is going land. It's really childish really and I'm trying to stop doing it as I lose balls unnecessarily over it.

as punishment for a bad shot, tom Watson makes himself watch the ball until it comes to a complete rest. keep this in mind. it can be painful to watch but it does serve a purpose and you might not lose as many balls. its also not fair on your playing partners to turn away from a poorly hit shot and expect them to watch/help you find it.

I try to keep this in mind. even at the range!

D

Deleted member 18121

as punishment for a bad shot, tom Watson makes himself watch the ball until it comes to a complete rest. keep this in mind. it can be painful to watch but it does serve a purpose and you might not lose as many balls. its also not fair on your playing partners to turn away from a poorly hit shot and expect them to watch/help you find it.

I try to keep this in mind. even at the range!

Yep, 100% wise words and something I'm trying to do....it's stupid when you think about it rationally!

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I think many of us (me) have unrealistic expectations. The 18 best players in the world on the PGA tour average drives over 300 yards - so why do we think we can get close? From 150 yards, these best players usually get to about 20' from the hole, so again, we can't expect to even do that.

I have realised that from watching on TV, we get an idea for how the game should be played, but we forget these are the very best players in the world. It is easy to forget there is a big gap between their ability, and our ability, even if you are a low handicap golfer (and I am not!).

It's a bit like football. When we watch we moan about mistakes the premiership players make, but put a division 2 player in a Premiership team and he'll make them all look like magicians. But put that Division 2 player in a Sunday League side, and he'll look like Messi!

The anger and frustration comes from an unrealistic expectation. When I get out to play, I expect very little, and often fail to live up to it. But I try and remember I'm there for fun.

Still get a bit annoyed at missing a short putt though.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't get anywhere near as angry as I used to, club throwing, bag whacking the works. Nowadays, without making a conscious effort to calm down I just seem to take it in my stride! But get this my handicap has gone from a decent round away from 4.6 to 7.4 maybe I need to be angry?

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yep, 100% wise words and something I'm trying to do....it's stupid when you think about it rationally!

takes a bit of self discipline. a big part of this game. it can only help. good luck pal. you can still curse at it when its in the air. ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I used to be a really angry golfer, now I'll have a swear at myself on occasion but that is mostly to vent my frustration before the next shot. I'm trying to get to a neutral state where I don't let my emotions peak and trough with my play but whether I'll get there or not I don't know.

You don't :ears::whistle: We can always tell when you've hit a bad shot as expletive off Stannard resonates around the Heath of Dreams

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I never throw a club or smach it into the ground.

I do, however, swear liks a trooper when I hit a bad shot. It used to be very loud (just ask Smiffy), but now it's a good bit quieter. I've found that Golf is not a game of perfect by Rotella has been a great help in not getting too angry.