And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never thought I'd say this but I reckon I'd be done with them too.

I wonder if we'll ever get an England manager who'll pick in form players in their right positions. I mean why has he included Rooney as a midfielder? Did he not watch the Euros?

On that basis, he wouldn't pick any of those who went to the Euro's.
So, who would you take?

D

Deleted member 16999

Once again we'll breeze through the group, Hodgson took the rap for the players at the Euros, same players will win this weekend and Sam's a hero.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Well watching him alongside Cahill each week I know who'd be first on my team sheet out of the two of them, but Sam's will be different.

No doubt he is not as good as once he was, but I'm not sure who of the current England squad I'd choose to replace him with. I thought he might be the ideal man to teach Stones what defending actually involves?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Well watching him alongside Cahill each week I know who'd be first on my team sheet out of the two of them, but Sam's will be different.

No doubt he is not as good as once he was, but I'm not sure who of the current England squad I'd choose to replace him with. I thought he might be the ideal man to teach Stones what defending actually involves?

Pique is often viewed as a great defender, not sure he would have learned much from terry. Unfortunately I think stones isn't made for an English defence.

D

Deleted member 16999

Pity Terry isn't at least involved in the squad, even as you say a mentor for Stones, or even guarenteed 45-60 mins or as a substitute if needed.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Pity Terry isn't at least involved in the squad, even as you say a mentor for Stones, or even guarenteed 45-60 mins or as a substitute if needed.

Only problem with that Paul is when he came on he'd end up acting as a captain, whether or not he actually was, which might create as many problems as it solves.

D

Deleted member 16999

Only problem with that Paul is when he came on he'd end up acting as a captain, whether or not he actually was, which might create as many problems as it solves.

That would be down to what Sam needs, he may need another Captain on the pitch, almost a case of "In Emergency, Break Glass" :rofl:

D

Deleted member 16999

Pique is often viewed as a great defender, not sure he would have learned much from terry. Unfortunately I think stones isn't made for an English defence.

Stones has the potential to be what ever is needed.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On that basis, he wouldn't pick any of those who went to the Euro's.
So, who would you take?

Rooney isn't a midfielder, he just isn't. If he's included as a striker then fine....as long as he's playing better than the others available,if not then he doesn't play. Simple

I know that's probably not nice to hear being a Manure fan.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Stones has the potential to be what ever is needed.

I can't say I've seen many fantastic defensive attributes displayed by him if truth be told. Now that may be down to some of Martinez tactics, but whilst I think he can become a great defender in the style of a ball playing pique. So far he doesn't seem interested in defending.

Ferdinand was undoubtably our most gifted (ball skills) defender but he could also defend first. I don't see it in stones yet, and Rio was how old when he was earmarked for success?

D

Deleted member 16999

I can't say I've seen many fantastic defensive attributes displayed by him if truth be told. Now that may be down to some of Martinez tactics, but whilst I think he can become a great defender in the style of a ball playing pique. So far he doesn't seem interested in defending.

Ferdinand was undoubtably our most gifted (ball skills) defender but he could also defend first. I don't see it in stones yet, and Rio was how old when he was earmarked for success?
Last season all the pressure/distraction got to him, if he settles down he has the potential to be superb, 2 years ago I would've said he was going to be one of the best centrsl defenders I'd seen, I hope for Englands sake he's put last season behind him.

Status
Not open for further replies.