And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1740

After that performance by Moreno, I do wonder why we let Brad Smith go to Bournemouth, ok with a 2 yr buy back clause...but why let him go?

Apart from his stupid challenge for the pen and the one on iwobi (I think ) in the 1st half I don't think he had a bad game. He certainly wasn't at fault for the goal despite what super pundit Neville said.

We'd started to attack and it's obvious the manager wants our fullbacks to be our outlet when we break and Moreno was doing just that. Lallana lost the ball in a position he shouldn't have and Moreno was already attacking giving Lallana the option.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Apart from his stupid challenge for the pen and the one on iwobi (I think ) in the 1st half I don't think he had a bad game. He certainly wasn't at fault for the goal despite what super pundit Neville said.

We'd started to attack and it's obvious the manager wants our fullbacks to be our outlet when we break and Moreno was doing just that. Lallana lost the ball in a position he shouldn't have and Moreno was already attacking giving Lallana the option.

Stu, are Gomez and Flanagan injured again/still. Would rather either of those over Moreno. See him as more suited to midfield.

D

Deleted member 1740

Stu, are Gomez and Flanagan injured again/still. Would rather either of those over Moreno. See him as more suited to midfield.

Flanagan is on loan at burnley and Gomez is still getting back to fitness.

Don't get me wrong I'd like to see Moreno replaced long term but he wasn't at fault today but I think he's become a scapegoat.

Gomez is a right footed CB iirc.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

To give him the benefit of the doubt, Lallana shouldnt have given it away so easy, but he doesnt deserve the benefit Stu, he's a nightmare waiting to happen.

He thinks he can win every tackle, dives in when no need, doesnt know how to jockey a player, and he defends out to in, instead of in to out. He's a terrible defender, and I dont think coaching will change him - he hasnt a brain. He's even making Djimi Traore look sensible.

I didnt think we were anything special today, outside of the goals, so could be a long season for us and Arsenal. We desparately need a new left back and also for Karius to be given a run, when he's fit again.

Last edited:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Talking about doing silly things, Clyne challenge for the 3rd goal free kick, so silly something that annoys me why do professionals give away so many silly free kicks!

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Moreno either can't or won't defend. He hasn't learnt to jockey, or to stay on his feet. A total lilability. Anyone know a left back who loves defending? It's a dying art.

D

Deleted member 1740

To give him the benefit of the doubt, Lallana shouldnt have given it away so easy, but he doesnt deserve the benefit Stu, he's a nightmare waiting to happen.

He thinks he can win every tackle, dives in when no need, doesnt know how to jockey a player, and he defends out to in, instead of in to out. He's a terrible defender, and I dont think coaching will change him - he hasnt a brain. He's even making Djimi Traore look sensible.

I didnt think we were anything special today, outside of the goals, so could be a long season for us and Arsenal. We desparately need a new left back and also for Karius to be given a run, when he's fit again.

I agree on the whole, I was just pointing out he wasn't to blame for the goal.

The challenge on iwobi up the arsenal end near the byline, where all's he had to do was stand and jockey him,instead he for in and gave a free kick away.

Anyway, I hope sawtooth and Freddielong are ok:whistle:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It all becomes clear. The French man has spoken. We weren't ready, it's as simple as that. Us fans mustn't worry, because when the team are ready, we will be fine and dandy.

Wow. Perhaps Arsenal might have been a bit more ready if their manager hadn't spent the off season swanning about in France doing commentary for French TV, while trousering 8 million pounds a year from his employers.

It's not as if the date of the start of the premiership wasn't in the diary.

D

Deleted member 1740

It all becomes clear. The French man has spoken. We weren't ready, it's as simple as that. Us fans mustn't worry, because when the team are ready, we will be fine and dandy.

Wow. Perhaps Arsenal might have been a bit more ready if their manager hadn't spent the off season swanning about in France doing commentary for French TV, while trousering 8 million pounds a year from his employers.

I was surprised to hear the comments. If they weren't ready then him and his staff haven't done there job very well.

I'm sure the wenger apologists will be along to defend him.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

The dates of the Euro's and Copa America were known as well but you can't go changing those Im afraid.

We lost a lot of senior players before today it's just how it is. Wenger cannot backfill with mediocre replacements as they take up valuable space in the squad. Need to replace quality with quality and it's not been easy to find. Hopefully Mustafi is coming in this week though. Holding is quality but he is a youngster he will need time to flourish.

We lost out opening game last year as well and you probably had the same apocalyptic view back then.

My advice would be to support the team and manager in defeat as well as winning because you get both and the season is long.

D

Deleted member 16999

The dates of the Euro's and Copa America were known as well but you can't go changing those Im afraid.

We lost a lot of senior players before today it's just how it is. Wenger cannot backfill with mediocre replacements as they take up valuable space in the squad. Need to replace quality with quality and it's not been easy to find. Hopefully Mustafi is coming in this week though. Holding is quality but he is a youngster he will need time to flourish.

We lost out opening game last year as well and you probably had the same apocalyptic view back then.

My advice would be to support the team and manager in defeat as well as winning because you get both and the season is long.
Well said, no other team faces the issues Arsenal do and as soon as everyone else realise that the better!
These teams with no overseas players are lucky.:rofl:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well said, no other team faces the issues Arsenal do and as soon as everyone else realise that the better!
These teams with no overseas players are lucky.:rofl:

My take on injuries, tiredness, extended break etc be it caused by internationals or pre season friendlies etc is....

It happens, get on with it.

No point spitting dummies out and as you say it's not like Areenal are the only team in the position of having many senior players missing.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Arsenal have won the opening game of the season once in 8 years. That's not a sign of preparation, it's a sign of incompetence.

Other teams also have missing players. They still manage to win games.

Effectively Arsenal are the same team that failed in the Champions league last year. They are making no effort to use their resources to improve the team, and I expect the same results as usual. 4th place, and last 16. Ground hog day.

To see it any differently is delusional.

What's the point in having 200 million in the bank, if you can't find better players to spend it on. It's not like the squad is packed full of world class talent, is it. They shouldn't be looking to buy back up players, but ones to make the players already there the back ups.

D

Deleted member 16999

My take on injuries, tiredness, extended break etc be it caused by internationals or pre season friendlies etc is....

It happens, get on with it.

No point spitting dummies out and as you say it's not like Areenal are the only team in the position of having many senior players missing.
But not one mention of the game yesterday, no honest critique, nothing that gave you hope or annoyed you, just a load of excuses,

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That's a very poor argument in my opinion. The date of the opening weekend of the Premier League is also well known and its the managers job to have a squad ready for that date. It's not like someone from the FA jumped out from behind a Bush at Arsenal's training ground on Thursday and said "Surprise, you've got you first Premier League game this weekend".

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Arsenal have won the opening game of the season once in 8 years. That's not a sign of preparation, it's a sign of incompetence.

Other teams also have missing players. They still manage to win games.

Effectively Arsenal are the same team that failed in the Champions league last year. They are making no effort to use their resources to improve the team, and I expect the same results as usual. 4th place, and last 16. Ground hog day.

To see it any differently is delusional.

What's the point in having 200 million in the bank, if you can't find better players to spend it on. It's not like the squad is packed full of world class talent, is it. They shouldn't be looking to buy back up players, but ones to make the players already there the back ups.

Wenger is trying to bring in a CB and striker. if we can get those in and our players back fit then we will do just fine.

Or are you suggesting major rework?

Top quality players that are available are not that easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.