And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't think many thought he would leave much before now. Its really only this last contract when its seriously on the cards. He's not getting any younger and he passes the 20 year anniversary in October. Maybe it is time to call it a day who knows.

We have missed out on a few transfer targets this summer and I am beginning to wonder if its a sign. If Wenger was himself non-committal about his future beyond 2017 then it may be the reason why. Players generally don't come to Arsenal for the wages (they can get higher elsewhere), they come because of Wenger.

Theres a few who are choosing not to sign new contracts too on all accounts, rumour that both Ozil and Sanchez have turned down extensions doesnt bode well. the longer the uncertainty goes on the harder it gets in both attracting new players and keeping the existing ones

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Theres a few who are choosing not to sign new contracts too on all accounts, rumour that both Ozil and Sanchez have turned down extensions doesnt bode well. the longer the uncertainty goes on the harder it gets in both attracting new players and keeping the existing ones

Yeah that was put to Wenger in the press conference today. He said that both players have 2 yrs contract left to run so there's no panic and nothing to worry about. I guess if they haven't both signed by Xmas then we should start to worry maybe. Same applies to Wenger really.

Maybe Wenger himself won't want to stay if he felt that he would be out staying his welcome. That would only be the case if it turns out to be a disaster of a season but I don't see that happening.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
He played at a time when you didn't need to be a world class athlete if you were skillful enough, on his day he was unplayable.

"On his day," I read as if he was in the mood. Without a doubt a fantastic player, if he was in the mood. He was well capable of disappearing in a game if the ball didn't run for him.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
"On his day," I read as if he was in the mood. Without a doubt a fantastic player, if he was in the mood. He was well capable of disappearing in a game if the ball didn't run for him.

For about 7/8 years he was as consistent as any of the best players in the league at that time.

Having watched most of his career live, he covered plenty of ground. He didn't track back often but that's not what he was on the team for. Unfortunately back then to coverage was limited. So you'd only see his highlight real or the games we played against the big boys.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
BIM TV games out for October November the Chelsea match is moved to Sunday 4pm ko as expected prior to HFH.

Thanks mate :thup: a right pain in the posterior that will be; won't be able to host on the Sunday prior to H4H and doesn't make the curry easy either, 2pm would have worked better. :angry:

And before anyone suggests it, no, missing Mourinho's first visit to Stamford Bridge with United is NOT an option!! :rolleyes:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks mate :thup: a right pain in the posterior that will be; won't be able to host on the Sunday prior to H4H and doesn't make the curry easy either, 2pm would have worked better. :angry:

And before anyone suggests it, no, missing Mourinho's first visit to Stamford Bridge with United is NOT an option!! :rolleyes:

Hopefully you'll wish you missed it come 6pm! ;)

D

Deleted member 1740

Well Leicester screwed my Acca up before it even started.
They're really going to miss Kante.

They had plenty of chances to be fair, nobody took them.
Kante will be loss no doubt but I don't think they missed him today.

D

Deleted member 1740

I thought Stones should have done better on the Defoe goal, Sterling looked as bad as ever and Sunderland were unlucky not to get a point.

I'm sure Holding will show Stones how to defend properly tomorrow.

I thought city had tons of possession without doing anything with it. They looked to play mostly down the middle and the few times they used the wide area's they looked threatening.

D

Deleted member 18588

I thought Stones should have done better on the Defoe goal, Sterling looked as bad as ever and Sunderland were unlucky not to get a point.

Actually Stones, a player who I think is over rated, was the only one who did anything to try to prevent the goal. He attempted to close Rodwell before the latter released the ball to Defoe.

Sterling had a pretty decent game but, in general, City lacked a sharpness in their approach play. Mind you Navas, in his cameo, looked to have more idea and if Guardiola finds a player in there that would be an achievement.

Agree that a draw would not have flattered Sunderland.

D

Deleted member 1740

Actually Stones, a player who I think is over rated, was the only one who did anything to try to prevent the goal. He attempted to close Rodwell before the latter released the ball to Defoe.

Sterling had a pretty decent game but, in general, City lacked a sharpness in their approach play. Mind you Navas, in his cameo, looked to have more idea and if Guardiola finds a player in there that would be an achievement.

Agree that a draw would not have flattered Sunderland.

I thought Sterling had a decent game, he just hasnt shown any performances for City like he produced for us. After the summer where Hodgson hung him out to dry the Lad is under a lot more scrutiny now.

The positions of city's fullbacks was a weird one, they seemed to be playing centre mid, I don't think they'll be able to play that way against the better sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.