And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
So why wait till end of season, give him a contract extension now.
Arsene has always said if he doesn't think he can do the job he will step down I think it's his way a of putting pressure on himself, it is worth noting that he has just bought two players that he sees as future stars.

Given the stupid money flying around if he gets Mustafi over the line at the numbers being talked about that would be an amazing signing.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Matt Le Tissier anyone?
I never tire of watching footage of one of the most naturally gifted players I've ever seen.

Oh, don't forget the great Robin Friday.

D

Deleted member 16999

Arsene has always said if he doesn't think he can do the job he will step down I think it's his way a of putting pressure on himself, it is worth noting that he has just bought two players that he sees as future stars.

Given the stupid money flying around if he gets Mustafi over the line at the numbers being talked about that would be an amazing signing.

Or risking the board not wanting to keep him?
Sean, do you really believe that apart from a small minority the players will try harder because the managers contract is up for renewal.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

So far he has failed to get Vardy and Mahrez and neither were massive money none more than he has spent before.

I wonder what the reasons were.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

Certainly cheaper than the other Everton reject that City bought.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

He's bought lots of future stars in recent years, the majority of which have been safe bets in that they've not flopped. But they've not hit the heights either.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just seen that Arsenal are without Koscielny, Mertesacker and Gabriel for the weekend. No wonder they're after Mustafi. Could have to start with Chambers and Holding at CB against Liverpool. Good luck with that.

Also read that Mustafi's dad has come out and said the agent saying he is working with Mustafi on this transfer doesn't represent him, they've heard nothing about the transfer, and Valencia don't want to sell and instead have put Abdenouur up for sale

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Matt Le Tissier anyone?
I never tire of watching footage of one of the most naturally gifted players I've ever seen.

Personally don't think you'll find a better highlight real on YouTube.

Yeah he he didn't run around, but that didn't matter. There wasn't one saints player during his time that wouldn't cover the extra miles knowing he was the one that would pull the rabbit out of the hat.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Matt Le Tissier anyone?

Lazy player on the pitch. As for people making excuses for him being fat... C'mon, it was further evidence of him being lazy.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or risking the board not wanting to keep him?
Sean, do you really believe that apart from a small minority the players will try harder because the managers contract is up for renewal.

My mind must work differently to most but yes I do think that the players will pull together a bit extra in this the last year of Wengers contract.

Everyone at the club wants to see Wenger go out on a high if indeed it turns out to be his last year. Otherwise they would want him to stay and extend his contract. For either to happen the players need to achieve top 4 and probably a trophy this season.

Doubters and so called expert pundits say it every year that it's going to be tough for Arsenal to finish top 4 but they always find a way. I already see plenty of that this season too because people look at the money the others have spent.

City, Utd, Chelsea have all spent loads yes but all have new managers and it may take a while for them to see big improvement.

Arsenal on the other hand have continuity, stability and a lot of promising talented youngsters.

4, 3, 2......what will 2017 bring for Arsenal?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
My mind must work differently to most but yes I do think that the players will pull together a bit extra in this the last year of Wengers contract.

Everyone at the club wants to see Wenger go out on a high if indeed it turns out to be his last year. Otherwise they would want him to stay and extend his contract. For either to happen the players need to achieve top 4 and probably a trophy this season.

Doubters and so called expert pundits say it every year that it's going to be tough for Arsenal to finish top 4 but they always find a way. I already see plenty of that this season too because people look at the money the others have spent.

City, Utd, Chelsea have all spent loads yes but all have new managers and it may take a while for them to see big improvement.

Arsenal on the other hand have continuity, stability and a lot of promising talented youngsters.

4, 3, 2......what will 2017 bring for Arsenal?

Careful, you'll be accused of sounding like Liverpool fans there......

fwiw, MOST people I know think top 4 isn't unrealistic for you at all. You're continuity probably makes you the safest bet for that, as a Chelsea could happen to one of your rivals, or new players managers not gel. Likewise MOST people think I know think with Wenger in charge you'll also not get the title.

doesnt Wenger always leave his contract until it's last few months? Remind me how many of those seasons have ended with triumph as the players raise their game for him?

i don't think there's any reason for him to sign yet. Think it makes sense for all to leave it till next year. I'd be surprised if he does t sign another contract as most of the big name managers have recently joined clubs so didn't imagine you getting anyone of note to replace him. Maybe someone? But nit sure you've a squad compatible to his ethics atm.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
[/B]
Careful, you'll be accused of sounding like Liverpool fans there......

fwiw, MOST people I know think top 4 isn't unrealistic for you at all. You're continuity probably makes you the safest bet for that, as a Chelsea could happen to one of your rivals, or new players managers not gel. Likewise MOST people think I know think with Wenger in charge you'll also not get the title.

doesnt Wenger always leave his contract until it's last few months? Remind me how many of those seasons have ended with triumph as the players raise their game for him?

i don't think there's any reason for him to sign yet. Think it makes sense for all to leave it till next year. I'd be surprised if he does t sign another contract as most of the big name managers have recently joined clubs so didn't imagine you getting anyone of note to replace him. Maybe someone? But nit sure you've a squad compatible to his ethics atm.

I don't think many thought he would leave much before now. Its really only this last contract when its seriously on the cards. He's not getting any younger and he passes the 20 year anniversary in October. Maybe it is time to call it a day who knows.

We have missed out on a few transfer targets this summer and I am beginning to wonder if its a sign. If Wenger was himself non-committal about his future beyond 2017 then it may be the reason why. Players generally don't come to Arsenal for the wages (they can get higher elsewhere), they come because of Wenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.