And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dalglish and Robson, absolutely. Reid? Who is this Reid you speak of? Although him and Robson were excellent at shifting beer in Yarm on regular occasions.

Mr Reid did it both at club and international level. Remember the transformation during the world cup when Wilkins was sent off and Reid came on? Had more impact in a tournament than Scholes or Gerard ever managed.

D

Deleted member 16999

Paul, I'll add Paul Bracewell, my favourite player of that time / team. For those arsenal fans lets also throw in Liam Brady. Murhen at Ipswich, Ardiles at Tottenham. This could go on and on so how about we forget about Scholes and Gerard hey?

Stevens - Reid - Bracewell - Sheedy.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Mr Reid did it both at club and international level. Remember the transformation during the world cup when Wilkins was sent off and Reid came on? Had more impact in a tournament than Scholes or Gerard ever managed.

Is that the same Mr Reid that got a whole 13 caps for England? 13 caps! Wow, he certainly was special.

It was a cracking Everton side he was in, probably the best ever!

D

Deleted member 16999

Is that the same Mr Reid that got a whole 13 caps for England? 13 caps! Wow, he certainly was special.

Reid was a late developer😃

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He was a late developer and he also played at a time when trying to move established players out was nigh on impossible. It was the era of picking experienced players no matter how poor they were playing. I'm not claiming Reid was world class for 10 years but he was for a spell and he grabbed hold of England matches in a world cup in a way I never saw Scholes, Gerard or Lampard ever do. For that he deserves respect.

The midfield quartet quoted by Paul brings a lump in the throat to any blue. A great midfield, each player offering something different. The Everton and Liverpool teams during those years had some genuinely top players in them.

Back to Robson. I grew up in Cheshire where most of the Man Utd players lived and Robsons drinking capability was legendary. Thoroughly miserable as well but I'm told his brother is a lovely bloke, quite the opposite. Nothing to do with anything but I thought I'd throw that in.

D

Deleted member 1740

Kenny Sampson got more caps than a 2 time European Cup winner, who was a better full back than him.

D

Deleted member 16999

He was a late developer and he also played at a time when trying to move established players out was nigh on impossible. It was the era of picking experienced players no matter how poor they were playing. I'm not claiming Reid was world class for 10 years but he was for a spell and he grabbed hold of England matches in a world cup in a way I never saw Scholes, Gerard or Lampard ever do. For that he deserves respect.

The midfield quartet quoted by Paul brings a lump in the throat to any blue. A great midfield, each player offering something different. The Everton and Liverpool teams during those years had some genuinely top players in them.

Back to Robson. I grew up in Cheshire where most of the Man Utd players lived and Robsons drinking capability was legendary. Thoroughly miserable as well but I'm told his brother is a lovely bloke, quite the opposite. Nothing to do with anything but I thought I'd throw that in.
I met Bryan Robson in an Indian in Birmingham last November, came across really well, maybe they mellow out when fully retired.
Stu_C, Is that Phil Neal you're on about?

D

Deleted member 1740

I met Bryan Robson in an Indian in Birmingham last November, came across really well, maybe they mellow out when fully retired.
Stu_C, Is that Phil Neal you're on about?

No, Alan Kennedy. It's believed that Sampson was picked because he was based in London.

D

Deleted member 1740

Stu, as I said. During that era if your face fitted you could fill your cupboard with caps. Lots of cracking players never got a look in.

That was my point to hobbit #1125. Anyone north of watford struggled to get In the squad.

D

Deleted member 18588

Kenny Sampson got more caps than a 2 time European Cup winner, who was a better full back than him.

And Mark Dennis was way better than either of them.

Only problem was he was a complete headbanger!

Status
Not open for further replies.