And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Kenny Sampson got more caps than a 2 time European Cup winner, who was a better full back than him.

To be fair, Sansom was a good player,and "Barney Rubble" was intermittent. As we've said before, you just cant judge a players ability on their medal collection.

In them days, I used to stand towards the back of the Kop, and his shooting used to trouble the cafe at the back. Put him in a final though, and he was lethal.

I can still see that penalty going in in the stadio olimpico in 1984, best holiday ever as a 13 year old. My arl fella let me have a bevvy, seen the Vatican, 6 day trip with a load of drunken posties on a coach to Rome.....I didnt want that trip to end.:thup:

BTW, I seen Souness for a few years and he was awesome, but still think Gerrard was better. Hoddle was a fancy dan.:whoo:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Both excellent players,but
What part of Gerrards game was better than Lampards that made him better?
It's ok saying that stats don't tell the whole story,but I honestly can't see how Gerrard was better.
Suppose it's like comparing Messi & Ronaldo,it's all about opinions.

D

Deleted member 1740

To be fair, Sansom was a good player,and "Barney Rubble" was intermittent. As we've said before, you just cant judge a players ability on their medal collection.

In them days, I used to stand at the front of the queue at the cafe, and his shooting used to trouble the cafe at the back. Put him in a final though, and he was lethal.

I can still see that penalty going in in the stadio olimpico in 1984, best holiday ever as a 13 year old. My arl fella let me have a bevvy, seen the Vatican, 6 day trip with a load of drunken posties on a coach to Rome.....I didnt want that trip to end.:thup:

BTW, I seen Souness for a few years and he was awesome, but still think Gerrard was better. Hoddle was a fancy dan.:whoo:

Fixed :whistle:

I've no doubt Sansom was a good player but if Barney would've played down south he'd have had more England caps.

D

Deleted member 1740

Both excellent players,but
What part of Gerrards game was better than Lampards that made him better?
It's ok saying that stats don't tell the whole story,but I honestly can't see how Gerrard was better.
Suppose it's like comparing Messi & Ronaldo,it's all about opinions.

Gerrard could play almost every position and still look boss.

You can't appreciate a player properly until you actually watch them live week in week out.

You don't see everything on the telly.

When it comes to these types of discussions I think United fans will say Scholes, Chelsea fans will say Lampard and Liverpool fans will say Gerrard, after all it's only opinion based.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
You can't appreciate a player properly until you actually watch them live week in week out.

Spot on there Stu.

The TV doesn't show the off the ball movement. How they read the game. The marshalling of a defence or midfield. Twin strikers swapping positions.

The best reader of a game I ever saw was Beardsley. He made Liniker look outstanding. Bryan Robson made the defence look immense by protecting them so much.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Gerrard could play almost every position and still look boss.

When it comes to these types of discussions I think United fans will say Scholes, Chelsea fans will say Lampard and Liverpool fans will say Gerrard, after all it's only opinion based.

As a neutral i'd take scholes all day.

Just preferred his style of play. Always seemed to turn up when it mattered too. Unfortunately, in my memory for every Istanbul, Fa cup or olimpiakos there is a slip, own goal or pass back.

I think gerrard was defo more versatile and therefore certainly at intl level, wasnt able to play his style as was always the one played out of position. Re more defensive to allow lamps to go forward.

Lampard, great goalscorer, not sure he had the alround of gerrard. But with stats a case could be made for all three.

I think like a lot of players that retire, its only once gone we realise what we had. If only for one of those 3 instead of what we have now. Much like having players like king and carra on the bench, when now we have smalling starting!

D

Deleted member 1740

Spot on there Stu.

The TV doesn't show the off the ball movement. How they read the game. The marshalling of a defence or midfield. Twin strikers swapping positions.

The best reader of a game I ever saw was Beardsley. He made Liniker look outstanding. Bryan Robson made the defence look immense by protecting them so much.

i loved Beardsley, he was superb, gutted he signed for that lot across the park.

D

Deleted member 16999

Wenger will sign for another 3 years

That's not what he stated in interviews yesterday, he stated this seasons results will determine if he stays or not, he wants to continue working but doesn't know.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Anyone who enjoyed Class of 92; Out of their League last season about the Man Utd boys buying Salford City, there's a new series starting Thursday 25th August on BBC 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.