And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 15344

Leave Phil and Tony to it Homer.

They prove my point beautifully.

The common denominator in that list of players is money.

Don't forget the other common denominator for them - medals won

So simple question - Did they only leave because of money ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
But surely this is something you can levy at many clubs, not just Arsenal.

Dont think so Homer, think the point is they left Arsenal to win trophies. The only team that comes close to that would be Liverpool. Alla Suarez unless you count league cups, which no one classes as a proper trophy unless you haven't won owt for years.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep that's exactly why Oscar,Tevez & co are currently in China🤔
And also why Falcou,Cavarni & Ibra opted to ply their trade in the mighty French League 🙄.

As with all walks of life you get the greedy people who love money.

I believe all the players you mention have major trophies and to be fair apart from Cavani they have all had a crack at the P/L.

D

Deleted member 15344

Dont think so Homer, think the point is they left Arsenal to win trophies. The only team that comes close to that would be Liverpool. Alla Suarez unless you count league cups, which no one classes as a proper trophy unless you haven't won owt for years.

We have lost a lot of players over the last decade because we weren't winning trophies

Suarez
Torres
Sterling
Mascherano
Arbeloa
Alonso
Yossi

They all got more money at their new club but that's not why they left

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I don't know the wage packets of each player because that's not on their record page - what is though is their titles and medals they won with the clubs they left Arsenal for

So as I said - when players move clubs at the prime of their career they normally get a pay rise - that doesn't automatically mean they are only leave because of the money on offer

So simple question - did they only leave Arsenal because of money ? Yes or no
Out of the players you listed I'd say
Sagna-definitely left for money & couldn't believe his luck.

Fabregas-Barca came knocking,obviously he's going.

Hleb- see above.

Nasri- would probably sell his own grandmother for a few extra £.

We're at a point now where most players are more motivated by money rather than success.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Exactly Ozil and Sanchez will leave Arsenal unless Wenger stays regarding Ozil and buys quality regarding Sanchez.

If they get the rises they are looking for well they can expect to win very little for the remainder of their careers.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes and if you think Costa wants to leave Chelsea to win the Chinese super league I don't believe that also.
Costa will leave for money - already said that people going to China are doing it for the money

But players leaving to go to clubs like Barcelona and Man Utd arent doing it just for the money - also for the titles and medals playing for those clubs brings.

I thought you actually understand football but to suggest anyone who leaves Arsenal for a club that wins is only doing it for the money is utterly clueless.

Last edited by a moderator:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Costa will leave for money - already said that people going to China are doing it for the money

But players leaving to go to clubs like Barcelona and Man Utd are doing it just for the money - also for the titles and medals playing for those clubs brings.

I thought you actually understand football but to suggest anyone who leaves Arsenal for a club that wins is only doing it for the money is utterly clueless.

Fabregas went back home so not all about the money for him.

Adebayor, Flamini. Song, Sagna, Nasri, Cole, Van Persie

All went for more money, call me clueless if you want but that's how I see it.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Ill give you four.

Song was hardly valued by you til he left, cole and van Persia left to win. The fact fergie said he paid the silly price just to win shows the different perspective of fergie and Wenger.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Ok, lets say for a minute that they have left for the money only.......

A. Do you think Arsenal's wage structure is archaic for a regular CL club, who often finish in the top 2/3/4.

or

B. Someone is taking far too much money out of Arsenal.

C. Wenger needs to start paying top wages, if he has any ambition for the club.

I'm expecting a D.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok, lets say for a minute that they have left for the money only.......

A. Do you think Arsenal's wage structure is archaic for a regular CL club, who often finish in the top 2/3/4.

or

B. Someone is taking far too much money out of Arsenal.

C. Wenger needs to start paying top wages, if he has any ambition for the club.

I'm expecting a D.

D) Arsenal pay footballers very well but they act responsibly and are protective over the clubs future. Theres a pay structure in place and spending has increased significantly on playing staff in recent years and will continue for years to come. But there is a limit and the club is not prepared to cross the line so to put the future of the club in jeopardy.

If for example Arsenal offer Sanchez £250K a week and he is offered £300K somewhere else then let him go. If that's archaic then so be it, it's not the sort of characters we would want at the club anyway. (not saying Sanchez is BTW) Infact with Arsenal acting that way it will help deter others who are obsessed and preoccupied with money from joining the club. We might miss out on a few really good players but so what, we'll survive.

Liverpool have spending limits too and you're doing OK at the minute. However, would you want Klopp to overstretch Liverpools finances to keep Coutinho and other stars even if that meant putting the club at risk? I'm not sure that you would.

D

Deleted member 15344

D) Arsenal pay footballers very well but they act responsibly and are protective over the clubs future. Theres a pay structure in place and spending has increased significantly on playing staff in recent years and will continue for years to come. But there is a limit and the club is not prepared to cross the line so to put the future of the club in jeopardy.

If for example Arsenal offer Sanchez £250K a week and he is offered £300K somewhere else then let him go. If that's archaic then so be it, it's not the sort of characters we would want at the club anyway. (not saying Sanchez is BTW) Infact with Arsenal acting that way it will help deter others who are obsessed and preoccupied with money from joining the club. We might miss out on a few really good players but so what, we'll survive.

Liverpool have spending limits too and you're doing OK at the minute. However, would you want Klopp to overstretch Liverpools finances to keep Coutinho and other stars even if that meant putting the club at risk? I'm not sure that you would.

Arsenal make millions - one of the richest clubs in the world - they bring in millions in revenue every year. Someone is getting rich or the piggy bank is filling up

Every year players become available at decent prices - but it's not just about not spending money , it's when money is spent it's not on the right player. Arsenal spent £35 mil on Xhaka in the summer and Chelsea spent less on Kante who is a far superior player ? Arsenal have spent the money just seems on players in the wrong area. Also hear that there is money to spend but Wenger won't.

Money is always the convenient excuse for Arsenal ( Wenger Fans )

Fish

Banned
Visit site
You must have felt there was a likelihood of it happening though surely.

You were all ready for him to leave as long as the money was spent well.....

Anything can happen these days as contracts are worthless.

I'm of the stance as I stated that nobody is bigger than the club and if someone or anyone however instrumental they may or may not be wants to leave then get the right money and let them go because once that individual has openly displayed an interest in moving then it can be destructive within the squad and dressing room and that needs stemming quickly imo.

Haha that's embarrassing. I suppose you expect us to believe Costa had a bad back last week.

You were already spending the transfer fee! And you say that I talk rubbish 😀😀

Your post is the biggest joke that I have read for quite sometime.

See comments above, and further to that, you mentioned and stated 'the deal fell through only because of a change in Chinese rules', can you link me to when and where this deal took place, when the player and/or his agents sat down with the Chinese club and when he was given permission to do so by our club and when the club was officially approached?!

Or was it just a gattling gun throw it out there sound bite by the Chinese press or club/s to cause unrest to targeted players across the world like throwing out a big fishing net to see how many bites and what they might catch?

Players have short careers and most now once reaching the PL or being in it for a short time at a top club are millionaires, there will be those that are solely money orientated and there are those that will be satisfied with the excellent wages they receive but will want to succeed, they are professional sportsmen and want to win things, it's not unusual for a good player to be sold on after a few years for more money than he was purchased for and also for him to get better wages with that move, but if he was settled and competing for titles and trophies or even winning some I don't think they'd move as frequently as we've seen so many excellent players at Arsenal move after giving a good few years to the club only for them to witness them never pushing the boat out and building a team around them and be good enough to challenge, all they do is then lose those top players due to a lack of ambition and replace them one for one but still don't build around them, so it's like Groundhog Day, and that will never change as long as Wenger is at the helm.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Arsenal make millions - one of the richest clubs in the world - they bring in millions in revenue every year. Someone is getting rich or the piggy bank is filling up

Every year players become available at decent prices - but it's not just about not spending money , it's when money is spent it's not on the right player. Arsenal spent £35 mil on Xhaka in the summer and Chelsea spent less on Kante who is a far superior player ? Arsenal have spent the money just seems on players in the wrong area. Also hear that there is money to spend but Wenger won't.

Money is always the convenient excuse for Arsenal ( Wenger Fans )

Arsenal were interested in Kante but like so many times in the past the player snubs Arsenal and goes to Chelsea. They either pay more fee, salary, or both (agents included) because they frankly don't care a toss how much it costs Roman or they act more decisively (again because they don't need to worry about the consequences if it doesn't work out) Chelsea simply cut their losses and buy again until it does.

Granted that Xhaka looks a little of the pace in the PL but it's his first year so unfair IMO to make comparisons until next season.

But I concede that it's unlikely Xhaka will ever be as important to a team than Kante would be.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Chelsea, City, Man Utd all have genuine ambition to win trophies, clear as you like. Arsenal seen simply content to tick over as they are. I know where I'd go if I was a top player and it wouldn't be the Emirates.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Chelsea, City, Man Utd all have genuine ambition to win trophies, clear as you like. Arsenal seen simply content to tick over as they are. I know where I'd go if I was a top player and it wouldn't be the Emirates.

Ambition comes at a cost and as I have said numerous times before Arsenal will not pay out as much as the other 3 clubs.

So naturally players would prefer to choose one of those clubs over Arsenal.

The playing field is never level but hypothetically if it was and money and trappings etc were the same then players would probably go (for footballing reasons) to United, Arsenal, Chelsea and City in that order.

Geography will also skew things in favour of London clubs let's be honest.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Ambition comes at a cost and as I have said numerous times before Arsenal will not pay out as much as the other 3 clubs.

So naturally players would prefer to choose one of those clubs over Arsenal.

The playing field is never level but hypothetically if it was and money and trappings etc were the same then players would probably go (for footballing reasons) to United, Arsenal, Chelsea and City in that order.

Geography will also skew things in favour of London clubs let's be honest.

If money wasn't an option then players would choose Utd and Liverpool first and foremost. As the others clubs would have no advantage over them (well Liverpool as Utd have the money) and they are still the biggest two clubs in England.

Status
Not open for further replies.