And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 15344

They could have ensured that Cameroon agreed that he wasn't eligible for selection months ago they could have easily had this locked down way before it became an issue, but of course you won't see that.

Yet FIFA could have sorted this out a while back

http://thecomeback.com/32flags/fifa...arding-joel-matip-liverpool-and-cameroon.html

Even back in august it appeared the Cameroon manager was leaving it up to the player

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.li...ool-defender-matips-self-imposed-11820074.amp

So from that is looks like Cameroon have called up a number of players they know didn't want to play in the tournament but called them up anyway so that they can get some financial compensation from the clubs

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com

http://thecomeback.com/32flags/fifa...arding-joel-matip-liverpool-and-cameroon.html

Even back in august it appeared the Cameroon manager was leaving it up to the player

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.li...ool-defender-matips-self-imposed-11820074.amp

So from that is looks like Cameroon have called up a number of players they know didn't want to play in the tournament but called them up anyway so that they can get some financial compensation from the clubs

Its Liverpool who suffer though, you don't leave things like this up to other people, you take responsibility and you ensure its not going to bite you, why would you leave it up to FIFA.

D

Deleted member 16999

One link claims Matip has made no contact and the other link the Author admits the money thing is only HIS theory.

So no clarification as to why LPool didn't get involved to help Matip.

D

Deleted member 15344

Its Liverpool who suffer though, you don't leave things like this up to other people, you take responsibility and you ensure its not going to bite you, why would you leave it up to FIFA.

Liverpool have already gone to FIFA who "claim they are investigating" - either way it's with FIFA there is nothing more the clubs involved ( 5 other players involved ) can do - their players don't want to go , the clubs don't want them to go - the FA has called them up - so right now the club needs to wait until FIFA pull their finger out. If the FA calls up a player the clubs can ask for the player to be released - if the FA don't then it's up to FIFA - any agreements prior are meaningless. FIFA are the governing body and it is up to them to decide

D

Deleted member 16999

Back tracking a bit after a bit of research Matip has not been included in Cameroons final 21 man squad, Liverpool asked the Cameroon FA for clarification weeks ago that Matip would be eligible to play for them, they have not responded and LPool have asked FIFA to step in and sort it out.
If they play him and Cameroon complain as they've threatened they might, LPool could lose points or be thrown out of the FA Cup.
Don't think LPool could of done anymore than maybe get Matip to clarify his position.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
They could have ensured that Cameroon agreed that he wasn't eligible for selection months ago they could have easily had this locked down way before it became an issue, but of course you won't see that.

Exactly right.

Dear FIFA as we all know the ACN is coming up in a few months time and I have a question about one of our players.......we obviously want to get this sorted now so we all know where we stand should Mr Matip get selected...please let us know soonest as we will all look a bit silly come January otherwise.......many Thanks.

Its not that difficult.:rolleyes:

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Exactly right.

Dear FIFA as we all know the ACN is coming up in a few months time and I have a question about one of our players.......we obviously want to get this sorted now so we all know where we stand should Mr Matip get selected...please let us know soonest as we will all look a bit silly come January otherwise.......many Thanks.

Exactly, but of course it isn't Liverpools fault. 👍

D

Deleted member 15344

Exactly right.

You do know that Liverpool have asked and did ask a while back if Matip could play whilst the ACN is on - it's not as if they suddenly asked on Friday so that he can play on the Sunday

Matip ended up not being part of the 21 man squad along with a number of others so they have attempted to clarify if Matip can play but FIFA are not communicating with the clubs

I know it's strange to blame someone else but maybe do a tiny bit of research- and there are a number of clubs including West Brom in the same position

So maybe it's a bit more difficult than sending an email :rolleyes:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
You do know that Liverpool have asked and did ask a while back if Matip could play whilst the ACN is on - it's not as if they suddenly asked on Friday so that he can play on the Sunday

Matip ended up not being part of the 21 man squad along with a number of others so they have attempted to clarify if Matip can play but FIFA are not communicating with the clubs

I know it's strange to blame someone else but maybe do a tiny bit of research- and there are a number of clubs including West Brom in the same position

Sort of missed all this, seems a bit bizarre.

If he hasn't been called up to squad why could Liverpool face sanctions if they play him? Isn't he now in the same position any other Cameroon players not in the squad are?

That said, it is FIFA involved so no surprise it's a bit odd!

D

Deleted member 15344

If he hasn't been called up to squad why could Liverpool face sanctions if they play him? Isn't he now in the same position any other Cameroon players not in the squad are?

I think it comes down to Cameroon wanted him to be in the squad but he declined the call up so the club are trying to find out if that means he is eligible to play for the club - it appears FIFA just quoted to the rules to them instead of being human and speaking to clarify if he can play or not. The club believe he can but with FIFA anything is possible and you just know they would look for sanctions

D

Deleted member 16999

He was initially in the 30 man squad announced in December, whittled down after injuries, no shows etc.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

That's feeble Phil and if that truly was the case then Liverpool still at fault for not following up.

Pick up the phone then.

Dear FIFA this is Liverpool FC can I talk to somebody about Matip?

I sent a mail last week and I am concerned that I have not heard anything....And we are only 8 weeks from the start of the ACN.....

The chances are that Liverpool left it a bit late and sprung it on FIFA last minute.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
He was initially in the 30 man squad announced in December, whittled down after injuries, no shows etc.

Surely any standby players in the original 30 that didn't make the cut aren't ineligible to play for their club side though?

Maybe more to it if he would have been in the final cut and has just refused to play.

D

Deleted member 15344

That's feeble Phil and if that truly was the case then Liverpool still at fault for not following up.

Pick up the phone then.

Dear FIFA this is Liverpool FC can I talk to somebody about Matip?

I sent a mail last week and I am concerned that I have not heard anything....And we are only 8 weeks from the start of the ACN.....

The chances are that Liverpool left it a bit late and sprung it on FIFA last minute.

As I suggested maybe do a bit of research into it instead of just blindly blaming the. Club

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says Fifa will decide on Friday whether to open an investigation into Joel Matip’s availability for his club.

But the governing body has warned the process to decide whether Matip should be representing Cameroon at the African Cup of Nations could then take another 10 days, ruling the defender out for a further four games.

Klopp does not want to wait that long and admitted he could bring the matter to a conclusion by selecting the 25-year-old against Plymouth Argyle in the FA Cup. That runs the risk of Liverpool facing sanctions for playing an ineligible player.

“I have not been in a situation like this in my life,” said Klopp.

“The thing is I think I have to try. I don’t want to blame anybody but our supporters deserve to know the process we are in. In this moment we are sure we did nothing wrong. We are sure Joel Matip did nothing wrong. He did not play for Cameroon since 2015.

“Since he has been here is not a Cameroon national player. He is not in the squad of Cameroon so he could not play for Cameroon but we have no 100 per cent guarantee he could play for us. The last few weeks we were getting more busy with all departments and the procedure is that I would consider playing him tomorrow, but I am not sure if I can.”

Klopp revealed Fifa have decided to look at the case, but they are not acting quickly enough. Matip finds himself in limbo while the process is ongoing.

“Fifa told us (on Friday) they will decide if they will open a case about it or not. I accept rules in life, wherever, but they should be based on human sense. It is difficult. If he was not injured he could not play since Jan 2.

“If we go to Friday and they open a case, it would be seven to 10 days before we get a decision, that would mean Plymouth, Swansea, and another two games – eight games since Jan 2.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.te...gation-ongoing-joel-matip-saga-liverpool/amp/

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh and I guarantee you, had the ref sent him off, sky would have had a whole host of clips showing booked players jumping into the fans.

The referees cannot win.
Am sure players have been sent off for this and taking shirt off.

put your self in Lanzinnis shoes he got booked on Saturday for this.

its a stupid rule and shirts off as well bare chested men all over the telly / boxing swimming etc, so what's the problem in football stadia.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe providing Matip with advice or communicating with Cameroon on his behalf, to suddenly withdraw him on sunday hours before the game suggests there was no pre-emptive action been taken.
Cameroon announced the squad in December with Matip in.
Liverpool - "Excuse Mr Matip I see you've been included in the squad"

Matip - "It's ok I've withdrawn"

LPool - "OK, Have you had a response from the Cameroon FA ?"

Matip - "Not yet or Yes"

LPool - "OK, keep us informed and let is know if we can help"

Etc etc,
yes this is right everyone talks like he is 16 yrs old he is 23 I think.

this should have been sorted by all these advisers they have.

when do footballers take responsibility for their own actions this is Matips own fault.

D

Deleted member 16999

Surely any standby players in the original 30 that didn't make the cut aren't ineligible to play for their club side though?

Maybe more to it if he would have been in the final cut and has just refused to play.
Unfortunately I think Cameroon are being the problem, Matip didn't play for them for over 18 months due to injury and personality clash, then declared he was taking an international break (not retire) to regain full fitness and concentrate on club football.
In an interview with Telegraph in Oct he declared he wouldn't play in ANC but things could change, Cameroon FA reckon they've tried to contact him over 25 times to discuss his break from international football, selected him hoping he'd turn up and now if LPool play him they run the risk of Cameroon making official complaint, if he plays and they don't no issue, but currently Cameroon won't give that promise hence LPool going to FIFA for help.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately I think Cameroon are being the problem, Matip didn't play for them for over 18 months due to injury and personality clash, then declared he was taking an international break (not retire) to regain full fitness and concentrate on club football.
In an interview with Telegraph in Oct he declared he wouldn't play in ANC but things could change, Cameroon FA reckon they've tried to contact him over 25 times to discuss his break from international football, selected him hoping he'd turn up and now if LPool play him they run the risk of Cameroon making official complaint, if he plays and they don't no issue, but currently Cameroon won't give that promise hence LPool going to FIFA for help.

Cheers, understand a bit better now :thup:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I suggested maybe do a bit of research into it instead of just blindly blaming the. Club

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says Fifa will decide on Friday whether to open an investigation into Joel Matip’s availability for his club.

But the governing body has warned the process to decide whether Matip should be representing Cameroon at the African Cup of Nations could then take another 10 days, ruling the defender out for a further four games.

Klopp does not want to wait that long and admitted he could bring the matter to a conclusion by selecting the 25-year-old against Plymouth Argyle in the FA Cup. That runs the risk of Liverpool facing sanctions for playing an ineligible player.

“I have not been in a situation like this in my life,” said Klopp.

“The thing is I think I have to try. I don’t want to blame anybody but our supporters deserve to know the process we are in. In this moment we are sure we did nothing wrong. We are sure Joel Matip did nothing wrong. He did not play for Cameroon since 2015.

“Since he has been here is not a Cameroon national player. He is not in the squad of Cameroon so he could not play for Cameroon but we have no 100 per cent guarantee he could play for us. The last few weeks we were getting more busy with all departments and the procedure is that I would consider playing him tomorrow, but I am not sure if I can.”

Klopp revealed Fifa have decided to look at the case, but they are not acting quickly enough. Matip finds himself in limbo while the process is ongoing.

“Fifa told us (on Friday) they will decide if they will open a case about it or not. I accept rules in life, wherever, but they should be based on human sense. It is difficult. If he was not injured he could not play since Jan 2.

“If we go to Friday and they open a case, it would be seven to 10 days before we get a decision, that would mean Plymouth, Swansea, and another two games – eight games since Jan 2.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.te...gation-ongoing-joel-matip-saga-liverpool/amp/

I think you're missing the point. Perhaps if Liverpool had spoken to FIFA a lot earlier then it would have been resolved by now.

I go on holiday in the Summer but I won't leave it until May to apply for a passport.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think you're missing the point. Perhaps if Liverpool had spoken to FIFA a lot earlier then it would have been resolved by now.

I go on holiday in the Summer but I won't leave it until May to apply for a passport.

How can they speak any earlier than when the squads get announced ? The club won't know what Cameroons intentions are until they announced the squads. They know the players intentions , they know he hasn't played for Cameroon for 18 months and not been picked in that period so why would they need to speak to FIFA ?

Once that is done then they can approach FIFA - remember Matip wasn't included in the 21 Squad - then Liverpool can seek clarification from FIFA and that's what they have been trying to do for weeks now .

Status
Not open for further replies.