And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 15344

As fans we all of us see incorrect decisions that go against us but overlook the others.

The same linesman who missed Valencia being offside also wrongly gave Rooney offside but fortunately his effort was saved. Had it not been I wonder what the Liverpool fans would now be saying about the decision and a perfectly good goal had been disallowed.

Impossible for the committed fan to make objective assessments?

"IF" Rooney had scored and the linesman had incorrectly flagged then the Mancs would have been rightly annoyed at a poor decision from the linesman - but he didn't score and perfectly good goal wasn't disallowed and it didn't affect the result unlike the other mistake he made that did affect the result

D

Deleted member 15344

Another reason to dislike international Football

Matip stopped played for Cameroon in 2015 - he told them he didn't want to be selected anymore as is his right to do.

18 months later Cameroon decided to call him despite the players wishes and FIFA as per usual don't have the balls to tell stick up for the players who no longer wish to play international football. Cameroon shouldn't have a leg to stand on - the club pay his wages and right now the club are not allowed to play him - but if it came down to it FIFA would always stand on the side of the country ( gotta make sure those votes keep coming in )

It's a joke of a situation made worse by having the tournament during the main European season

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We often call for refs to use common sense. That is why he didn't send the young Everton player off. its a silly rule anyway.

Great to see the passion. would have been worth the red had he received it.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Matip stopped played for Cameroon in 2015 - he told them he didn't want to be selected anymore as is his right to do.

Any particular reason for stopping International football at 23-24 yrs old? It's the players prerogative I agree, just curious that's all.

Most young footballers would jump at the chance I am sure, if for no other reason than to raise their profile and value.

D

Deleted member 18588

"IF" Rooney had scored and the linesman had incorrectly flagged then the Mancs would have been rightly annoyed at a poor decision from the linesman - but he didn't score and perfectly good goal wasn't disallowed and it didn't affect the result unlike the other mistake he made that did affect the result

You completely miss the point.

If we are fans of the side on the receiving end of a poor decision we react as if it only ever goes against our team and overlook any similarly poor decisions that may go in our favour.

As is often said, these things usually balance themselves.

D

Deleted member 16999

Any particular reason for stopping International football at 23-24 yrs old? It's the players prerogative I agree, just curious that's all.

Most young footballers would jump at the chance I am sure, if for no other reason than to raise their profile and value.

He didn't retire, he fell out with the then management and was also injured, he then said he doesn't want to play at this time to concentrate on Liverpool.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/1...el-matip-wont-face-suspension-cameroon-exile/

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

I could be mistaken but isn't this the point, that it isn't his right to do?

Of course it's the players right - if he doesn't want to play for his country then he shouldn't be forced too. Every player should have the right to decide.

D

Deleted member 16999

Of course it's the players right - if he doesn't want to play for his country then he shouldn't be forced too. Every player should have the right to decide.
Totally agree, but he hasn't actually retired has he? So I can understand Cameroon picking him as they want their best squad, however, then accepting he doesn't want to play in this tournament.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com

Perhaps FIFA are concerned that the player or players could be pressured into rejecting international football, I am not saying it's the case here but there must be instances where a club says reject your national team and we will give you .....
Or don't play African cup of nations and we will sign you.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing devils advocate here. Many managers put pressure on players not to play international football, there are some obvious examples on our own shores. In terms of African and Latin American players matches will involve long haul flights, sometimes questionable medical help and short turn arounds when they return from a midweek match. For the ACON the players are clearly away for a number of weeks and that has quite an impact on a club. It is not hard to see club managers and officials putting pressure on young players not to represent their countries and that is why this rule was brought in. Yes, there will be some occasions where players genuinely don't want to play but I believe you can appeal. The idea behind the rule is sound though IMO.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Playing devils advocate here. Many managers put pressure on players not to play international football, there are some obvious examples on our own shores. In terms of African and Latin American players matches will involve long haul flights, sometimes questionable medical help and short turn arounds when they return from a midweek match. For the ACON the players are clearly away for a number of weeks and that has quite an impact on a club. It is not hard to see club managers and officials putting pressure on young players not to represent their countries and that is why this rule was brought in. Yes, there will be some occasions where players genuinely don't want to play but I believe you can appeal. The idea behind the rule is sound though IMO.

Great minds and all that

D

Deleted member 16999

Sounds better if you use the word retired, that way Cameroon look bad.

D

Deleted member 15344

The player decided that he didn't want to play in this comp a while back - no pressure is being applied to any player

Players should always have the right to choose - the clubs pay their wages and the clubs are the ones that suffer if something happens when they go away.

If someone wants to play international football then no one should stop him and I expect that's what happens - managers putting pressure on players not to go to tournaments ? I don't think that's the case , maybe meaningless friendlies some managers may speak to players carrying an injury or tired etc

But if a player himself doesn't want to go and would prefer to play for the club that pays his wage then he should be allowed to do that without any punishments.

The clubs are the ones that take any hits in regards the players yet they are the ones that pay the players. Club should always come first

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Damn, just typed out a post and deleted it by accident!!

Not typing all again but basically if Liverpool asked player not to play in ACN I don't have a problem with that. It's up to the player he has the final say surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.