And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We were discussing Referee's and consistencey, it's not about what I think (even though I don't and stated I totally get his frustration) I'm asking if by the rules he should've been.
what referees see is a mystery to me.
Lannzini on Saturday ran into the crowd after scoring and was yellow carded as players are who do this.
Davies did exactly the same after scoring today he had already been yellow carded so by the law of the game he should have seen red.
I can't believe the ref did not see it so inconsistent is right
you don't need a replay to see this .
I think refs should do a press conference after the game after all Pep has to.

D

Deleted member 16999

Lannzini on Saturday ran into the crowd after scoring and was yellow carded as players are who do this.
Davies did exactly the same after scoring today he had already been yellow carded so by the law of the game he should have seen red.
And we get told we're bitter :rofl:
See Law 18

Last edited by a moderator:

Fish

Banned
Visit site

I noticed this immediately and thought he'd get carded, especially as we've seen many players get a yellow for going into the crowd even very recently. The ref didn't give the yellow possibly knowing it would send him off and possibly knowing his story as a local lad and it being a debut goal, and so here lies the inconsistency, in other words, if he hadn't been already booked and there wasn't a story behind the goal & celebration, would he have received a yellow? I think he would have!

So I think when it suits us we applaud the ref for making a judgement call and interpreting the rule in association with the circumstances at the time, and when it doesn't suit us we want the ref to act on a rule clinically and without any consideration!

Can we really expect consistency, I don't think so unless you really want to sanitise the game more than it is already!

D

Deleted member 15344

I noticed this immediately and thought he'd get carded, especially as we've seen many players get a yellow for going into the crowd even very recently. The ref didn't give the yellow possibly knowing it would send him off and possibly knowing his story as a local lad and it being a debut goal, and so here lies the inconsistency, in other words, if he hadn't been already booked and there wasn't a story behind the goal & celebration, would he have received a yellow? I think he would have!

So I think when it suits us we applaud the ref for making a judgement call and interpreting the rule in association with the circumstances at the time, and when it doesn't suit us we want the ref to act on a rule clinically and without any consideration!

Can we really expect consistency, I don't think so unless you really want to sanitise the game more than it is already!

We need consistency- that is the one thing the refs need to show then at the very least the players and teams and fans can know where they stand

You can't have refs not giving cards based on a "players story" or if he is a young local lad - if Davies jumped into the crowd to celebrate then he should have been booked , it happens to all the other players so it should have happened to him - regardless of if he had a card already, he should be treated the same as the 18 year professional.

The ref needs to treat them all the same - as soon as he starts to make judgement calls based on the player it self then more trouble will occur for the officials.

The players know you can't jump into the crowd and celebrate like that and even though it's a ridiculous rule - it's still a yellow card offence

D

Deleted member 16999

Exactly mate, he was lucky he didn't get a 2nd yellow.
Inconsistencey is normally highlighted by opposition fans ;)

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I want let refs know that it is OK to have a hard , legal 50/50 tackle and that they don't have to feel obliged to stop play and hand a card out each and every time. Its so bloody annoying.

Secondly, if the ref thinks that he saw something and if he has any sort of doubt whatsoever, to pause and go speak to the linesmen and other officials before making a decision. Refs seem to act too hastily for my liking. Better to take those extra few seconds , gauge reaction of players, listen to what everyone is saying and go from there.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I want let refs know that it is OK to have a hard , legal 50/50 tackle and that they don't have to feel obliged to stop play and hand a card out each and every time. Its so bloody annoying.

Secondly, if the ref thinks that he saw something and if he has any sort of doubt whatsoever, to pause and go speak to the linesmen and other officials before making a decision. Refs seem to act too hastily for my liking. Better to take those extra few seconds , gauge reaction of players, listen to what everyone is saying and go from there.

That ain't gonna work with all the play acting that goes on and your then inviting players to surround you!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gauge the reaction of players, ha ha ha ha :rofl:. Still laughing. How can you gauge a reaction when so many are trying to cheat? Look at how Chelsea in their Mourinho heyday used to surround a ref en masse in a pre-ordained way. Utd under Ferguson were similar. You think the ref should take that into account? I'm sorry but you need to ignore players until they start to behave themselves.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

The other that does my head in is refs who only give 1-2 minutes injury time, because someone has been whacked 5-0 or more, as if feeling sorry for them.

That may have meant 3-4 goal celebrations in the second half, as well as normal subs and injury time, but the ref sees it as "they've had enough" so ends the match early.

U

User62651

Agree wholeheartedly with this, very frustrating, refs need to remember this is a spectator sport too so flow of the game is important. Son likes me to watch football with him, have to explain that football used to be a contact sport. Imagine Graeme Souness nowadays, would last 5 minutes a game. As long as players play the ball and not the man, hard tackling should be ok...imo. As for the diving, must have gone on back in the day but as tackling was allowed back then it didn't work to the same degree as a cheat tactic. The tactic of attacker stretching the leg out and leaving the foot in contact with a defender then falling down is very annoying. Even the match of the day pundits are saying 'but there was contact so it must be a pen' - daft and needs sorted with retrospective cheat bans/fines......imo.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The other that does my head in is refs who only give 1-2 minutes injury time, because someone has been whacked 5-0 or more, as if feeling sorry for them.

That may have meant 3-4 goal celebrations in the second half, as well as normal subs and injury time, but the ref sees it as "they've had enough" so ends the match early.

and another goal could be the difference in qualifying for Europe on goal difference!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yup, or by the same token. the other team potentially staying up or going down.

A Man U fan in work reckons the Lovren foul was a red card.......:rofl:

I think he must be on a wind up mate.

The trouble with football atm is its gone so soft and the faking injury and cheating has made it difficult to see what is fake and what is real.

Many times I have instinctively said penalty or foul until we see the replays and realise I was wrong,what chance has the ref got when some overpaid pre Madonna is rolling around like he has been shot.

Why are these refs not trained to realise if some idiot is rolling around he has not been hurt.

Herrera and the Man City player should be embarrassed this morning for their respective actions.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think he must be on a wind up mate.

The trouble with football atm is its gone so soft and the faking injury and cheating has made it difficult to see what is fake and what is real.

Many times I have instinctively said penalty or foul until we see the replays and realise I was wrong,what chance has the ref got when some overpaid pre Madonna is rolling around like he has been shot.

Why are these refs not trained to realise if some idiot is rolling around he has not been hurt.

Herrera and the Man City player should be embarrassed this morning for their respective actions.

He was at the match, and said he hasnt seen it since......is the full story. :D

So I'll give him the "at the match passion" angle.:thup:

D

Deleted member 16999

Following on from different posts, there is no doubt there seems to be a big difference in the Refs, some good are judged as awful or biase towards certain teams, some are bad are judged as ok.
Are we being fair to them though? It's a multi billion pound business and for those involved the stakes are huge, should we be giving them more help, whether that's technology or something else I don't know.
It just seems to me at the moment we are expecting them to get every decision right, every single decision.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It just seems to me at the moment we are expecting them to get every decision right, every single decision.

That's the problem. There's going to be a limit of what one official can judge from one angle in real time in the heat of the cauldron. Vs. a studio full of pundits with multiple slow motion replays.

Linesmen in particular you have to think are guessing a lot of the time - having to look in two places at once, and tracking half a dozen players!

Think I would give teams one review per game, which should rectify any obvious mistakes.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We want a linesman to look down the line for offside, oh and look for tugs and pulls, bad fouls etc. Oh and keep up with sprint merchants. Finally make a decision which tv will slow down, use a 3D display and show they will be 3" right or wrong. If 3" wrong, equivalent to 0.01 seconds or something similar, then that person will be pilloried by pundits who wouldn't dream of putting their necks on the line and doing the job. Comfy sofa etc.

If anyone has ever refereed, done a line etc in any fast sport, amateur level, then they will be largely sympathetic to officials. Those who mouth off tend never to have done it. Very, very difficult job although I would accept that some do not help themselves.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
That's the problem. There's going to be a limit of what one official can judge from one angle in real time in the heat of the cauldron. Vs. a studio full of pundits with multiple slow motion replays.

Linesmen in particular you have to think are guessing a lot of the time - having to look in two places at once, and tracking half a dozen players!

Think I would give teams one review per game, which should rectify any obvious mistakes.

But when the technology exists to ensure that every descision is correct and the governing body choose not to use it then I think we are entitled to expect parity.

Status
Not open for further replies.