And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 16999

Not a great performance but will take the win and I do believe its a 6 horse race although imo its Chelsea's to lose.

Shocking performance from the officials and its costing teams and with so much money on the line they need to be better.

Not a red for me although he was out of control but Jones wasn't pulling out either and I hate the rolling around after.

Just watched the UTD players reactions and they were not all at the ref has been suggested I believe Carrick and Valencia said something but it should never had swayed his decision that's what the refs paid for.
I said the Utd players ran, not to the Ref though, some ran to the West Ham player.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Didn't watch the game but saw a clip of the sending off. I then went out to walk the dog and read a headline of the match afterwards. Have to be honest, I assumed pre dog walk that it was Jones who had been sent off. I thought it was a little harsh but Jones didn't look in control. Now I discover that the West Ham guy was the one sent off. I'll have to see that again as that never registered as an option. I suspect an appeal will go in.

IMO ref was swayed by the OTT reaction by Jones when really he ought to judge on what he saw in the challenge.

I think "play on" should have been the order of the day, it seems like we cant have a 50/50 challenge for a ball without the ref blowing his whistle and waving a card.

I'm not sure if a lot goes on without us knowing but I would like to see a lot more communication between the ref and the other officials. No harm in asking if the others saw it and what they thought before handing out a card or blowing for a pen. Not sure if the powers that be would consider this to be a weakness or working smarter?

Why cant we hear what they say like in rugby?

D

Deleted member 16999

IMO ref was swayed by the OTT reaction by Jones when really he ought to judge on what he saw in the challenge.

I think "play on" should have been the order of the day, it seems like we cant have a 50/50 challenge for a ball without the ref blowing his whistle and waving a card.

I'm not sure if a lot goes on without us knowing but I would like to see a lot more communication between the ref and the other officials. No harm in asking if the others saw it and what they thought before handing out a card or blowing for a pen. Not sure if the powers that be would consider this to be a weakness or working smarter?

How can the Ref know if Jones is playing acting or not? even in a fair genuine tackle if someone appears to be hurt, as Jones did, he has to stop the game immediately.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Whilst I agree that he may have been swayed. A 50/50 tackle doesn't involve one player off the ground and out of control.

If that hat was done by a stoke player against Sanchez I'd love to see such a reasoned response......

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whilst I agree that he may have been swayed. A 50/50 tackle doesn't involve one player off the ground and out of control.

If that was done by a stoke player against Sanchez I'd love to see such a reasoned response......

It didn't look malicious to me, it wouldn't matter who it was.

I would be equally annoyed at Sanchez for rolling around though. I never like to see that.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Didn't watch the game but saw a clip of the sending off. I then went out to walk the dog and read a headline of the match afterwards. Have to be honest, I assumed pre dog walk that it was Jones who had been sent off. I thought it was a little harsh but Jones didn't look in control. Now I discover that the West Ham guy was the one sent off. I'll have to see that again as that never registered as an option. I suspect an appeal will go in.

Why would Jones be sent off, he won the ball before the West Ham player got there?
Oh, and Feghouli was airborne.
I think an appeal would be viewed as frivolous, it would be to me.

It didn't look malicious to me, it wouldn't matter who it was.
I would be equally annoyed at Sanchez for rolling around though. I never like to see that.

It doesn't have to be malicious, it just has to be dangerous .................. and the ref thought it was.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not a great match for the officials but until something is done about the continued cheating by a large minority of players it makes it harder for the refs.

Getting the offside rule back into something resembling a sensible rule would also help.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not a great match for the officials but until something is done about the continued cheating by a large minority of players it makes it harder for the refs.

Getting the offside rule back into something resembling a sensible rule would also help.

Ooops.

D

Deleted member 18588

Do any of us actually know what was the contact between Feghouli and Jones? The television pictures are, to say the least, inconclusive.

Unless we know it is hard to see how we can assess if the reaction by Jones was OTT.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do any of us actually know what was the contact between Feghouli and Jones? The television pictures are, to say the least, inconclusive.

Unless we know it is hard to see how we can assess if the reaction by Jones was OTT.
Once he was back on the pitch he took off faster than Usan Bolt giving a very good impression that the damage wasn't as terminal as the initial act implied.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Are you seriously suggesting that Mike Dean could have given the offside?

View attachment 21580

By all means slag him off for the red card but how can he give the offside decision when he's looking at it from perpendicular to the offside line? The linesman has made a horlicks of that decision but to criticise the ref for not giving it is ridiculous.

No, just pointing out that although he wasn't at fault he wasn't blameless, it is still his job to get the correct decision.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why would Jones be sent off, he won the ball before the West Ham player got there?
Oh, and Feghouli was airborne.
I think an appeal would be viewed as frivolous, it would be to me.

I didn't think it was worthy of a red card, incidentally getting the ball is irrelevant if the tackle is still dangerous, but I knew a red had been given. With my brief glance at the incident it was Jones who came across as more reckless in the way he went in so I assumed he had been shown the red.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Spot on. I dare say most of us have taken a knock on a nerve, and few of us have probably had a full on mistimed tackle where we've thought we've broken our leg. In most instances we will have been bounding around like a new born lamb 5 mins later.

In my opinion, the WH player reacted to losing control. It was an instinctive lunge for the ball, and poorly timed and lacking thought.

So what did Mike Dean see? He saw a player jumping in, and off the ground. He saw Jones knock the ball away before contact. 1) it was a foul. 2) the player off the ground had little/no control over the tackle.

It then comes down to interpretations. A) He followed the ball but there was no advantage. B) Blow for the foul. C) Red or yellow.

Even without Jones's pain, real or otherwise, he had to deal with a foul in which a player lunged with an off the ground tackle. For me, its red all day long and twice on Mondays...

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
How can the Ref know if Jones is playing acting or not? even in a fair genuine tackle if someone appears to be hurt, as Jones did, he has to stop the game immediately.

I'd suggest by the fact that he's rolling around asa much as he was Paul. Anytime I've seen someone who was genuinely seriously injured they either don't move much at all or scream & move but on the spot; they don't roll around like Jones did. And seriously, how hard would he have had to have been kicked to move him that far, especially considering that it would have had to have overcome the momentum he put in? Jones should be seriously embarrassed when he sees that back.

Status
Not open for further replies.