And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The trick is to let the youngsters play just enough so as that it looks like we've got loads of cover and can afford to lose another star for 30m......

Not sure what's going on with fonte re a contract ATM and cb isn't a position we're blessed with cover.

Yes strange one with Fonte,who is class, just a shame he's 31, but still another good 2 years in him, I'd say.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well you've never had an objective view on our games have you,lets face it.

So your really saying West Ham deserved all 3 points?

Objective is such a curious word.

I can be objective as I support neither team and can pass judgement on what I see.

Did West Ham deserve all 3 points? Probably not, but ( in the quote referenced in my in my post) to say 2 points dropped does West Ham a disservice.

On balance I think Liverpool may make top 4 this year. Your attacking play is, IMO, the best in the league but you need your defense looking at in the coming window.

Not the keeper though. I agree with Phil. Once he's settled he'll come good.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Objective is such a curious word.

I can be objective as I support neither team and can pass judgement on what I see.

Did West Ham deserve all 3 points? Probably not, but ( in the quote referenced in my in my post) to say 2 points dropped does West Ham a disservice.

On balance I think Liverpool may make top 4 this year. Your attacking play is, IMO, the best in the league but you need your defense looking at in the coming window.

Not the keeper though. I agree with Phil. Once he's settled he'll come good.

A more reasoned approach, as you normally go with the anti-Liverpool, stance on every occasion since you were knocked out the cup last year, for some reason. Move on.

Your not saying anything new about our defence or keeper,that hasnt been said before.

I dont like to use stats solely to back up an argument, but we had 10 times (literally) touches in their box than they did in ours, so IMHO it is a dis-service to Liverpool to suggest that West ham should and did deserve to get all the points. They had 5 touches in our box (their season low), to our 59 in theirs.Curious that.:thup:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
A more reasoned approach, as you normally go with the anti-Liverpool, stance on every occasion since you were knocked out the cup last year, for some reason. Move on.

Your not saying anything new about our defence or keeper,that hasnt been said before.

I dont like to use stats solely to back up an argument, but we had 10 times (literally) touches in their box than they did in ours, so IMHO it is a dis-service to Liverpool to suggest that West ham should and did deserve to get all the points. They had 5 touches in our box (their season low), to our 59 in theirs.Curious that.:thup:

So is that a mark of West Ham efficiency or Liverpool wastefulness/Over playing?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
It can be a sign of both, but what it does show is that we had more shots, pressure etc than them , so would suggest that if anyone deserved a win, or at least a draw, it was us.

You could also see it as West Ham defended better than Liverpool, which they did.

If West Ham scored two worldys firm 35 yards and head no more touches in the Liverpool area does that make the result less of a draw?

I think we agree that's stats can paint different pictures depending on viewpoint.

As for the ManU fans booing, totally agree. I can understand why but that doesn't excuse it.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Man U "fans" booing Fellaini - poor form.

:clap:

would like to say it was a few JCL with half n halves but the few it was were ST holders in the Stretford end when he started warming up, although the boo's were reasonably quickly drowned out by applause until the substitution then again quite a large minority. Modern day football :(

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Totally outplayed 2nd half on Saturday by Arsenal.

Bellerin made the difference when he came on, very very good player. We looked bright first half down the left until he came on.

As for Arsenal, they really are a terrible bunch aren't they.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You could also see it as West Ham defended better than Liverpool, which they did.

If West Ham scored two worldys firm 35 yards and head no more touches in the Liverpool area does that make the result less of a draw?

I think we agree that's stats can paint different pictures depending on viewpoint.

As for the ManU fans booing, totally agree. I can understand why but that doesn't excuse it.

West ham did defend better than Liverpool (its not hard;)), but the vast majority of people would judge the "deserving" of a result based on chances and pressure in the box, of which we had an overwhelming amount.

I cant understand or excuse the booing of Fellaini.

I can only understand booing your own player if he spoke ill of the club, fans or was totally engineering a move away, if in the extreme.

Booing a player because he made a tackle in a match, though????

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Be interesting to see how Liverpool get on when Mane goes off to the ACON in January especially with Coutinho is still out injured.

Coutinho is due to come back 1-2 weeks before Mane goes, so hopefully it will cross over.

I think we need another striker/winger type anyway with Ings being out for the season and Sturridge being made out of pipe cleaner stuck together with jucy fruit. Glad to see Ojo coming back from injury, but whether Jurgen may dip into our transfer fund remains to be seen.

Our need for a left back has diminished, so only need a CH to replace Sakho and another forward......unless a boss keeper becomes available, but I think he'll stick with Mignolet and Karius until the summer.

BTW - Arsenal - you should have consolidated 2nd in your group.:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.