And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1740

As a Club they've played in Europe in 9 of the last 10 seasons, so not completely inexperienced, but agreed some players will be.

There's a gulf in class between sides in the Europa to the CL. When the CL sides enter the Europa they usually field weakened teams. How many players are still there from their last CL campaign?

D

Deleted member 16999

There's a gulf in class between sides in the Europa to the CL. When the CL sides enter the Europa they usually field weakened teams. How many players are still there from their last CL campaign?
Maybe once (if) they got out of the group, but their group isn't the strongest and whether it's Europa or CL they have enough experience to at least realise it's a big step up.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Jose was always tough on players that didn't track back if they lost possession and stopped, I think at the time Mata ticked that box, although he could be excused IMO for being like that as his overall contribution was still excellent when it mattered. He's offloaded a few that shouldn't haven't gone either at a critical time with no real replacement or simply shouldn't have gone period! I think he's always looking for the perfect fit but at times you have to offset some players slight imperfections because of what they offer elsewhere when it matters, Mata ticked that box IMO and should never have left, same as Schürrle.

I agree, dont get me wrong I hate lazy players, but you have to give them a bit of leeway if they offer a lot in other ways.

Mata and Hazard were 2 of the best players in their positions in seasons 2013/2014 and 2014/15, and one was bombed out and the other massively struggled for form in the season after, both under his stewardship.

We have the same conundrum with Sturridge, lazy player but on his day is one of the best finishers going. I'd rather have a Sturridge than a Heskey though.

D

Deleted member 1740

Maybe once (if) they got out of the group, but their group isn't the strongest and whether it's Europa or CL they have enough experience to at least realise it's a big step up.

Monaco are a very good side that have lots of CL experience and Leverkuesen are no mugs too.

Spurs have got almost 80k of their own supporters in that stadium (2.5 times WHL's capacity), to even suggest that playing at Wembley is the problem is stupid imo.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Monaco are a very good side that have lots of CL experience and Leverkuesen are no mugs too.

Spurs have got almost 80k of their own supporters in that stadium (2.5 times WHL's capacity), to even suggest that playing at Wembley is the problem is stupid imo.

Unfamiliar surroundings and playing surface. It's like playing away for Spurs too IMO,

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Unfamiliar surroundings and playing surface. It's like playing away for Spurs too IMO,

How many at Spurs play at Wembley for England, is that why were crap at International level also, we play at a National stadium that's unfamiliar to us?

So I don't buy that excuse personally, if your good enough you should be able to turn it on at Hackney Marshes.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
How many at Spurs play at Wembley for England, is that why were crap at International level also, we play at a National stadium that's unfamiliar to us?

So I don't buy that excuse personally, if your good enough you should be able to turn it on at Hackney Marshes.

After West Ham's poor start, sky ran lots of graphics showing the majority of teams struggle at new stadiums. So whilst it's not the sole excuse, it is a totally plausible one.

D

Deleted member 16999

Monaco? Played CL football twice in 11 years and once out the group:rofl:
Never said any were mugs, just it isn't the strongest group, to suggest it is, is stupid imo.

D

Deleted member 1740

Monaco? Played CL football twice in 11 years and once out the group:rofl:
Never said any were mugs, just it isn't the strongest group, to suggest it is, is stupid imo.

What about the previous years or doesn't that matter?? I never said it Was The strongest group did I?

D

Deleted member 16999

What about the previous years or doesn't that matter?? I never said it Was The strongest group did I?
How far do you want to go back to prove your point, I accept Spurs don't have lots of CL experience, just the lesser Europa League, you came back with questioning how much CL experience the Spurs Manager and players have, isn't that the same for the current Monaco set up?
Totally agree with Robin that players should be able to perform on any stage, but any decent team playing at home tends to hold an advantage, imo, Wembley will not be feeling like playing at White Hart Lane to the players, regardless of how many supporters turn up.

D

Deleted member 1740

How far do you want to go back to prove your point, I accept Spurs don't have lots of CL experience, just the lesser Europa League, you came back with questioning how much CL experience the Spurs Manager and players have, isn't that the same for the current Monaco set up?
Totally agree with Robin that players should be able to perform on any stage, but any decent team playing at home tends to hold an advantage, imo, Wembley will not be feeling like playing at White Hart Lane to the players, regardless of how many supporters turn up.

"You said, I said, you said" it's a petty response isn't it?

I've not suggested that the reason for their poor showing in the CL is playing at Wembley.

Anyway, what do you know about CL football your lot haven't been in it :whistle:

D

Deleted member 16999

"You said, I said, you said" it's a petty response isn't it?

I've not suggested that the reason for their poor showing in the CL is playing at Wembley.

Anyway, what do you know about CL football your lot haven't been in it :whistle:
There it is :clap: I wondered how long it would take :thup:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
150 season ticket holders at West Ham will have to be moved starting against Stoke this Saturday as segregation for the 'first time' is imposed, why wasn't segregation in place or looked at before?

2,900 Stoke going to WH and some of them aren't saints so although apparently they'll be police inside the stadium for the first time, I think they'll still be mayhem with a few days notice before fans gets moved and booted out their seats. There will be some 'not so' happy Hammers :)

What a total mess and cock up and KB has the goul to judge people on the Apprentice :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.