And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You have a lot of faith in a manager in his PL first season and with largely the same squad of players that failed so miserably last year.

Thats where a great manager can make a difference though.

Playing players in their right positions, the right tactics, good coaching and being able to motivate them.

Conte seems to be doing it very well, as is our manager with most of the same team as Rodgers had.

Machiavelinho though........;)

D

Deleted member 15344

Liverpool or Arsenal.

Need to start winning games first - already 8 points behind so early in the season with a team that is clearly struggling.

Can't see Man Utd getting near top 4 this year. So many issues with the team

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Need to start winning games first - already 8 points behind so early in the season with a team that is clearly struggling.

Can't see Man Utd getting near top 4 this year. So many issues with the team

Yes but you must have followed football long enough to know that every team has a dip in a season. Who is to say that the likes of Leicester and Utd are not having theirs now and that Liverpool, Arsenal, etc will come later on?

You might have a gut feeling but tbh it changes every week with the results. Pick your top 4 and be done with it mate.

Mines still both North London and Manchester clubs and that won't change until at least January.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes but you must have followed football long enough to know that every team has a dip in a season. Who is to say that the likes of Leicester and Utd are not having theirs now and that Liverpool, Arsenal, etc will come later on?

You might have a gut feeling but tbh it changes every week with the results. Pick your top 4 and be done with it mate.

Mines still both North London and Manchester clubs and that won't change until at least January.

Also followed long enough to see that not many teams claw back gaps like that and that whilst other teams may have dips the other teams need to take advantage of that. Man Utd have been struggling since Taggert left - And it hasn't changed since Maureen arrived - believe is a worse start that what they had previously under both Moyes and Van Gaal

We all know that Arsenal will have their Feb slump and I expect that we will have a run of games where we will struggle but by then I expect Man Utd to not be in a position to do anything about

The only thing that is changing every week at the moment is the gap between the top 5 and the ones below. Leicester won't get near the top 4 and with the way it is at the moment Man Utd also won't

I will be surprised if you see many people picking Utd to make the Top 4 right now beyond Utd fans and people that have already nailed their colours to the mast.

The good thing is you continue to dismiss us

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Liverpool seem a bit like the Rodgers version on steroids just now, scoring and conceding a fair bit, great to watch though.

On paper they have a run of "good" fixtures coming up, without any European games they could be looking very strong in 5/6 weeks.......

May happen but I'd be surprised to see Utd get back in top 4, a lot more competition now with Spurs and Liverpool this season. Is possible but they'd have to go on an impressive run.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also followed long enough to see that not many teams claw back gaps like that and that whilst other teams may have dips the other teams need to take advantage of that. Man Utd have been struggling since Taggert left - And it hasn't changed since Maureen arrived - believe is a worse start that what they had previously under both Moyes and Van Gaal

We all know that Arsenal will have their Feb slump and I expect that we will have a run of games where we will struggle but by then I expect Man Utd to not be in a position to do anything about

The only thing that is changing every week at the moment is the gap between the top 5 and the ones below. Leicester won't get near the top 4 and with the way it is at the moment Man Utd also won't

I will be surprised if you see many people picking Utd to make the Top 4 right now beyond Utd fans and people that have already nailed their colours to the mast.

The good thing is you continue to dismiss us

TBF Liverpool haven't won the league for over 25 years so don't blame me for not getting excited about them just yet.

The unknown quantity for me is knowing whether Liverpool have the mental toughness, can physically last the season at the current energy levels, can play another way when they need to and have the strength in depth to cope with injuries to 1-2 key players ( because this WILL happen over the course of a season).

Leicester had an unbelievable run of injury free games last year and it played a massive part in winning the league for them. Liverpool will need a similar freak season where they can keep their starting 11 the same.

D

Deleted member 15344

TBF Liverpool haven't won the league for over 25 years so don't blame me for not getting excited about them just yet.

The unknown quantity for me is knowing whether Liverpool have the mental toughness, can physically last the season at the current energy levels, can play another way when they need to and have the strength in depth to cope with injuries to 1-2 key players ( because this WILL happen over the course of a season).

Leicester had an unbelievable run of injury free games last year and it played a massive part in winning the league for them. Liverpool will need a similar freak season where they can keep their starting 11 the same.

But we aren't talking about winning the title

This convo is about getting into top 4

We have already had a few injuries to the starting 11 and coped with them - there are players waiting to come in

If anything the struggles at times at the back will be an issue if we don't score

We have a decent run of fixtures coming up - no European football , good strong second team for cups and one of the best managers around who has got them stronger and physically best

And everything you point too is exactly what are Arsenal's struggles have been for a decade

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
But we aren't talking about winning the title

This convo is about getting into top 4

We have already had a few injuries to the starting 11 and coped with them - there are players waiting to come in

If anything the struggles at times at the back will be an issue if we don't score

We have a decent run of fixtures coming up - no European football , good strong second team for cups and one of the best managers around who has got them stronger and physically best

And everything you point too is exactly what are Arsenal's struggles have been for a decade

Yes and we "struggled" as you put it because essentially not having a deep and rich enough squad. Major investment in recent years has redressed the balance and we now have a strong squad.

Liverpool for me have the same type of squad as Leicester last year. A great starting 11 but the bench is pretty thin. It can be done as Leicester showed but they broke records last year fielding a team with least amount of changes in PL history. Something I am pretty sure will not be repeated for a while.

Hey it's just opinions but that's how I see it.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Yes and we "struggled" as you put it because essentially not having a deep and rich enough squad. Major investment in recent years has redressed the balance and we now have a strong squad.

Liverpool for me have the same type of squad as Leicester last year. A great starting 11 but the bench is pretty thin. It can be done as Leicester showed but they broke records last year fielding a team with least amount of changes in PL history. Something I am pretty sure will not be repeated for a while.

Hey it's just opinions but that's how I see it.

What will be interesting will be to see how Maureen wins the title for Utd from where he is (Liverpoolphil said it would be guaranteed if a top club signed him as manager although I think he said guaranteed within two seasons so maybe it's next year).

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
What will be interesting will be to see how Maureen wins the title for Utd from where he is (Liverpoolphil said it would be guaranteed if a top club signed him as manager although I think he said guaranteed within two seasons so maybe it's next year).

No guarantees in football. You have to give someone like Mourinho a bit of time, at least a couple more windows so he can continue bringing in the players he wants and shipping the ones out that he doesn't.

He was right about Willian when he spoke about him recently. Looked a duffer at first and took time to settle, now he's one of the best midfielders in the league. I bet he wishes he had him and a few more of his players from his old club at OT.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
No guarantees in football. You have to give someone like Mourinho a bit of time, at least a couple more windows so he can continue bringing in the players he wants and shipping the ones out that he doesn't.

He was right about Willian when he spoke about him recently. Looked a duffer at first and took time to settle, now he's one of the best midfielders in the league. I bet he wishes he had him and a few more of his players from his old club at OT.

Liverpoolphil was very clear that Maureen would guarantee success.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do fans moan "if we don't get into Europe we won't attract the best players", then when they get into Europe they moan " you're lucky not having to play in Europe midweek, your teams players get a rest"
Rediculous:)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why do fans moan "if we don't get into Europe we won't attract the best players", then when they get into Europe they moan " you're lucky not having to play in Europe midweek, your teams players get a rest"
Rediculous:)

There are two "Europes" though.

Europa league - more games than the CL, if you go all the way, Thursday night footy, less high profile, doesn't turn the head of players you are trying to recruit, not necessarily full houses, can hamper your league form etc

CL - If you qualify year after year you should be able to keep a bigger (and better) squad to cater for the extra games, Tuesday/Wednesday games, highest profile in club football, will turn the heads of sought after players, full houses = more money.

I can't think of any London club who haven't taken full advantage of it over the last 20 years. :D

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are two "Europes" though.

Europa league - more games than the CL, if you go all the way, Thursday night footy, less high profile, doesn't turn the head of players you are trying to recruit, not necessarily full houses, can hamper your league form etc

CL - If you qualify year after year you should be able to keep a bigger (and better) squad to cater for the extra games, Tuesday/Wednesday games, highest profile in club football, will turn the heads of sought after players, full houses = more money.

I can't think of any London club who haven't taken full advantage of it over the last 20 years. :D

Helped finance one of the best football stadiums in the world. I agree 100% Pete.

U

User62651

Noticed on MOTD the WBA v Man City game had an awful lot of empty seats, would have thought Guardiola and Man C would be a major draw for the home fans even if they lose?

Prices/disinterest/time of day - what's t'reason, would have thought they're bought and paid for season tickets seats anyway aren't they? As a neutral, of any teams in the EPL Man City or Liverpool would be my choice to watch currently.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Well he's got Juan Mata back……… Maybe he'll appreciate him this time round.

Status
Not open for further replies.