And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Van Per$ie was permanently broken while he was at arsenal, and the club stuck with him. The moment he was fit, he rewarded that loyalty by leaving.

Also, had he stayed at arsenal that season, there is a very real chance arsenal would have won the league.

Henry is different fish, and every one knew fab wanted to return to Barca.

D

Deleted member 15344

But no legacy.

Like Owen, is he loved and admired by Liverpool supporters? Legacy went when he signed for Utd.

"Legacy" ?

Do you think it matters when he has won what he really wanted to when he left ? Do you think he would have felt fulfilled as a player by staying but winning zero titles but he did have a"legacy"

Owen wasn't loved and admired by supporters even when he was a player

I'm pretty sure 99% of players don't give a hoot about legacy.

Local players and players born and bred within the club will care and they will be the ones that stay throughout their career and not jump when in their prime - Gerrard , Terry , Lampard , Carra , Neville , Scholes , Rooney

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I believe he still has his medal at home

Same with Nasri , Fabregas and indeed any player who left and went on to win trophies

So is he the premier league champion, no I believe he was a member of a team that WAS premier league champions but isn't currently the premier league champion.

What I meant by no one was hated at Arsenal barely remembered one season wonder at Utd.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
"Legacy" ?

Do you think it matters when he has won what he really wanted to when he left ? Do you think he would have felt fulfilled as a player by staying but winning zero titles but he did have a"legacy"

Local players and players born and bred within the club will care and they will be the ones that stay throughout their career and not jump when in their prime - Gerrard , Terry , Lampard , Carra , Neville , Scholes , Rooney

So by your standards was Gerrard a bit of a fool wasting his career at Liverpool when he could have won trophies elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 15344

So by your standards was Gerrard a bit of a fool wasting his career at Liverpool when he could have won trophies elsewhere.

Gerrard did win trophies at Liverpool - won the biggest club trophy in Europe at Liverpool

He is missing one from his collection the title but he stated on many occasions that he only wanted to win it with Liverpool and he finished very disappointed that he didn't get to win it.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Gerrard did win trophies at Liverpool - won the biggest club trophy in Europe at Liverpool

He is missing one from his collection the title but he stated on many occasions that he only wanted to win it with Liverpool and he finished very disappointed that he didn't get to win it.

But he won that in 2005 was it, when did he retire? if legacy doesn't matter and what the fans think doesn't matter its only medal count, should he have moved?

D

Deleted member 15344

But he won that in 2005 was it, when did he retire? if legacy doesn't matter and what the fans think doesn't matter its only medal count, should he have moved?

Gerrard grew up a Liverpool fan , he was born and bred in the city and was Liverpool through and through - his life and situation is different from someone who was bought in from abroad and had no initial connection to the club

What does it matter when he won it - he won it , he has the medal

As my post clearly says -legacy will not matter to 99% of the players

The ones that will care will be the local ones as mentioned in my post - and you decide to counter the point with one of those local players ?!

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site

Completely agree with you about "legacy"!

Re Owen, I always find it interesting he was never really adopted by the supporters there as much as others, why was that? I played a lot against/with him when I was younger as we're the same age and he really was seen as the golden child both with club and country, got the impression they'd throw rose petals at his feet when he was going anywhere if he asked..... I obviously don't know enough about Liverpool to know why, thought it was odd though.

Not a criticism, just something I've always wondered really as he wasn't held in the same regard as Gerrard etc even before he left.

D

Deleted member 15344

Completely agree with you about "legacy"!

Re Owen, I always find it interesting he was never really adopted by the supporters there as much as others, why was that? I played a lot against/with him when I was younger as we're the same age and he really was seen as the golden child both with club and country, got the impression they'd throw rose petals at his feet when he was going anywhere if he asked..... I obviously don't know enough about Liverpool to know why, thought it was odd though.

Not a criticism, just something I've always wondered really as he wasn't held in the same regard as Gerrard etc even before he left.

For me it just seemed that he never put the club first - he always seemed to get fit just in time for international duty but then go missing. It was clear that England was a priority for him. For some it felt like we were just a stepping stone for him

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Gerrard grew up a Liverpool fan , he was born and bred in the city and was Liverpool through and through - his life and situation is different from someone who was bought in from abroad and had no initial connection to the club

What does it matter when he won it - he won it , he has the medal

As my post clearly says -legacy will not matter to 99% of the players

The ones that will care will be the local ones as mentioned in my post - and you decide to counter the point with one of those local players ?!

As usually you have an exception /get out clause for Liverpool, pathetic.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me it just seemed that he never put the club first - he always seemed to get fit just in time for international duty but then go missing. It was clear that England was a priority for him. For some it felt like we were just a stepping stone for him

Makes sense, cheers for that just something I've always wondered about. :thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

As usually you have an exception /get out clause for Liverpool, pathetic.

I think you need to read the initial post that you countered and quite clearly notice that I didn't just mention Liverpool players and already mentioned Gerrard as well as other teams players

Look it's not my fault players leave Arsenal to look for success and feel zero connection to the club

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Van Persie stays with Arsenal for years, no sign of a league title.

Leaves Arsenal, wins league the next year, scoring many vital goals in that success.

How can anyone argue that isn't the right thing he did?

Oh the big, bad Dutch man felt no great love for the London team, managed by a Frenchman...

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
So is he the premier league champion, no I believe he was a member of a team that WAS premier league champions but isn't currently the premier league champion.

What I meant by no one was hated at Arsenal barely remembered one season wonder at Utd.

Pretty sure the ovation he got last year shows he's remembered.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think you need to read the initial post that you countered and quite clearly notice that I didn't just mention Liverpool players and already mentioned Gerrard as well as other teams players

Look it's not my fault players leave Arsenal to look for success and feel zero connection to the club

I think you will find Henry feels very connected to Arsenal still, Fabregas too, but to a lesser extend.

Status
Not open for further replies.