And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 16999

I tell you what paul, don't quote me ever again - as you keep saying things I haven't said.

I have said SOME, and I don't just mean it on here, but in all walks of life.

Didn't say you said all, but when responding to someone direct, why wouldn't they think it was directed at them?

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
In my eyes, Pogba, Mkhitaryan and Ibrahimovic definitely fit the bill at Man Utd with Mata very close.

Countinho would be viewed as such by many though I'd disagree.

At Spurs I'd say Alderweireld definitely and Vertonghen is damn close if not already. They're arguably the best CB pairing in world football for me. I think Harry Kane is very close, but he does have these "cold" spells and then scores for fun. More consistency and I'd say he's up there.

Chelsea have Hazard, Matic and Costa which for me walk into every squad in the world, too. Kante obviously needs time to prove it's not a flash in the pan but I feel he has what it takes, too.

Mahrez is another debateable one at Leicester.

And I know it doesn't fit your criteria but the standard of keeper isn't to be sniffed at - De Gea, Lloris and Courtois are arguably the three best in the world and there aren't many teams who wouldn't want a player of Cech's calibre.

All just my opinion I suppose but they're all top quality players.

Fair enough, like you say all opinions but IMO that's an unbelievably shielded view of world football. Either that or your standards are incredibly low!

United - Ibra is 35 and in the twilight of his once world class career. Pogba hasnt done anything deserving of the 'world class' tag (yet) and was outshone by a centre mid who got relegated from the prem last year in France Euro squad. Mkhit definitely isnt close to world class, and nor is Juan Mata.

Liverpool - Coutinho close to being world class, but there's at least 10 others I would have rather than him @ 10.

Spurs - Good center back pairing. Work well toghether, neither individually world class. If you're looking at world class defensive partnerships just look at the Juventus or Atletico teams - its a completely different level, the 2 you mention arent close. Likewise, if you want to pick out a single players they again wouldnt be in top 10. Kane - very close to World class? And you called me a troll?!? :rofl:

Chelsea - Again, loads more players I'd have over any of those 3. Hazard is a world class flat track bully, I'll give him that, but needs to show up more in big games and win some by himself - there's a reason nobody other than PSG have looked at him seriously in last 2 years. There are 10 better center mids in Spain alone than Matic and Costa is a very good striker but a notch down from the best.

I specifically didnt mention keepers as that is where we do have an abundance of talent in the league - whilst the 'Top 3' is a huge overstatement I'd agree de Gea and Lloris are top 5 and the other 2 top 10.

Stop believing all the Sky hype. You've only got to look at the recent failings of English teams in the Champs league finals to see how far the prem has fallen in recent years - 0 teams in 5 years compared to 7 in 7 before that.

I'll stick by what I said thanks. It was no attempt to troll at all, just a neutral opinion getting sick of the Sky hype on the PL.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nobody has ever said watching it on the Telly is better than going or you get a better experience, I take it you've never watched a game not involving LPool, because if you have surely you fall in line with everything you posted when you do?

I mentioned last night that niether the managers or players or pundits commented on the Ref and your response was as follows;

"Unlike lots on here, I dont need journalists or pundits to make up my mind for me. I rely on original thought"

Totally ignored the fact that no one from either club mentioned it, just a comment having a dig at other posters implying we can't think for ourselves and regurgitate what we hear.

Done plenty of sh1tty nights in the cold and wet watching matches, makes no difference to forming an opinion on a game on the telly.

For clarity:-

A. I haven't said that one is better, just that it is a different experience watching something live (and once) than seeing it on the telly, with all the add ons. Yes I do watch other matches and comment, and as I've said never said anyone cant.

B. Just because the managers/players haven't commented on it doesn't mean it didn't happen or they still weren't thinking it. There are fines these days for some comments. It was Man U's manager who commented on the appointment before the game, not ours. Did our players appeal for a pen on Can - No - doesn't mean that Smalling didn't have half his chest hair in his hand.

C. The match-goer is mainly the more passionate fan and it means more to them, than the armchair fan who doesn't invest as much time, money and emotion, which is why I would give a little bit more leeway to matchgoers opinions rather than the guy just posting from the sanctity of his armchair, and that's for all fans.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think TV gives you a better view of the action, and the slo-mo/repeats clarifies things better. It doesn't give atmosphere or passion, and its narrow camera view doesn't let you see some of the runs off the ball or the reading of the game a player does.

Pro's and cons from both sides but I feel that TV, especially with the close ups gives you a more honest view.

D

Deleted member 16999

For clarity:-

C. The match-goer is mainly the more passionate fan and it means more to them, than the armchair fan who doesn't invest as much time, money and emotion, which is why I would give a little bit more leeway to matchgoers opinions rather than the guy just posting from the sanctity of his armchair, and that's for all fans.

Emotions get carried away by all fans regardless of being there or watching from the armchair when watching a game involving their team,
Sometimes though a neutral with no axe to grind can see things from a different perspective and make an honest assessment without the emotional involvement.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Emotions get carried away by all fans regardless of being there or watching from the armchair when watching a game involving their team,
Sometimes though a neutral with no axe to grind can see things from a different perspective and make an honest assessment without the emotional involvement.

Define a neutral standpoint watching a Liverpool game (non-Europe) from a blue perspective. This could be fun......

When watching Man U I have only ever wanted to win on less than 2-3 occasions and take pleasure from seeing them getting beat. (I would expect Man U fans to do the same with us).

I now take pleasure in seeing Chelsea get beat, but not as much as the above. I'd also expect.......

I take some pleasure from seeing Everton get beat, but it does depend on how it may help/hinder us also.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can never remember a game that I wanted Utd to win. Ever. Now that Maureen is in charge I take even more glee in their losses. Old Trafford as car park = happy days.

Chelsea, no, don't want them to win either but not on the same level as Utd. Less so now Conte is there as I like him.

Liverpool, easy come easy go. I want to finish above them but I don't lose sleep over a Liverpool win. (I grew up in Cheshire, not Liverpool which will explain some of the above)

Everyone else, doesn't bother me. This is good fun. Who do you dislike the most, ha ha.

D

Deleted member 16999

Define a neutral standpoint watching a Liverpool game (non-Europe) from a blue perspective. This could be fun......

When watching Man U I have only ever wanted to win on less than 2-3 occasions and take pleasure from seeing them getting beat. (I would expect Man U fans to do the same with us).

I now take pleasure in seeing Chelsea get beat, but not as much as the above. I'd also expect.......

I take some pleasure from seeing Everton get beat, but it does depend on how it may help/hinder us also.

So it's not possible for me to watch a game of football objectively and pass comment?

I believe I can and if you can't that's your issue not mine.

Many times on here I've been given stick for my view point on European games or defending LPool (accussed of being a closet red etc).

First and foremost I'm an Everton fan but can appreciatte good football whoever plays it.

So sorry mate, I stand by my comments that I believe the referee the other night had a very good game, others disagree fine, but my opinion has nothing to do with like or dislike of any particular team.

As mentioned, was taken to both grounds as a kid till 1977, youngest of 9, including Dad, it was 6 Blue and 4 Red, if anything I'd rather see the Mancs fail, at least that way some of the families happy.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site

I can never remember a game that I wanted Utd to win. Ever. Now that Maureen is in charge I take even more glee in their losses. Old Trafford as car park = happy days.

Chelsea, no, don't want them to win either but not on the same level as Utd. Less so now Conte is there as I like him.

Liverpool, easy come easy go. I want to finish above them but I don't lose sleep over a Liverpool win. (I grew up in Cheshire, not Liverpool which will explain some of the above)

Everyone else, doesn't bother me. This is good fun. Who do you dislike the most, ha ha.

think may have to borrow Milwall's strap line........ :rofl:

No one likes us we don't care!

Hated Adored BUT never Ignored ;)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Well that was an odd first 45 mins, City doin OK til Ferandinho slips. Barca looked ok but not stunning. city could of gone in 2-1 up but in the last secs coulda been 2-0 to Barca.
One things for sure, it bears watching that Rammel last night. Must be painful bein a rag and Chelsea fan at the mo 😁

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well that was an odd first 45 mins, City doin OK til Ferandinho slips. Barca looked ok but not stunning. city could of gone in 2-1 up but in the last secs coulda been 2-0 to Barca.
One things for sure, it bears watching that Rammel last night. Must be painful bein a rag and Chelsea fan at the mo 😁

Rammel is that slang for dodgy keeper.

Haha another failed C/L campaign

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why are the commentators praising Man City's display tonight. Yes they would have still been in the game if it hadn't been for the Fernandinho slip or if Stones had scored the header but Barcelona have a midfielder who normally plays centre back playing at right back and City haven't had a go at him at all. Too many mistakes adn as I type that another mistake gifts Messi his hat trick. Shocking performance from a team that don't seem to be good enough to play the way their manager wants them to play.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why are the commentators praising Man City's display tonight. Yes they would have still been in the game if it hadn't been for the Fernandinho slip or if Stones had scored the header but Barcelona have a midfielder who normally plays centre back playing at right back and City haven't had a go at him at all. Too many mistakes adn as I type that another mistake gifts Messi his hat trick. Shocking performance from a team that don't seem to be good enough to play the way their manager wants them to play.

So based on this one performance.........:whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.