And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can't believe your faulting his performance tonight, totally grey man, sounds more like your frustrations with your performance than the Refs.

Every game ever fans will see decisions differently, no players apart from Young (rightly booked) got in his face and if Can had scored I'm sure you'd be posting that the Ref should've blown before he kicked it past De Gea and given the penalty

We can spend all night inventing scenarios that never might happen and as for Everton fans going on about decisions, who mentioned the beach ball at Sunderland and blamed the "blue" ref :rofl:

Nope I'm faulting the ref as he stifled the game. We werent great and neither were United, but every time a situation arose near the box the ref just gave a foul to the defensive team nearly all the time.

You are saying he had a good game - why? Uncontoversial yes, but he didnt allow anything controversial to even happen and "managed" the game in that way.

Normally players are booked after 2, maybe 3 fouls these days. I wouldnt be surprised if Herrera did 7 or Ibrahimovic 10 fouls before being booked.

Clive Thomas?

D

Deleted member 16999

Nope I'm faulting the ref as he stifled the game. We werent great and neither were United, but every time a situation arose near the box the ref just gave a foul to the defensive team nearly all the time.

You are saying he had a good game - why? Uncontoversial yes, but he didnt allow anything controversial to even happen and "managed" the game in that way.

Normally players are booked after 2, maybe 3 fouls these days. I wouldnt be surprised if Herrera did 7 or Ibrahimovic 10 fouls before being booked.

Clive Thomas?

United came to frustrate and they did, none of the players, managers or pundits mentioned the Ref after the game, that's a big plus for me, no talk of him not letting the game flow etc.
Most LPool fans had made up their mind about him before a ball was kicked, if he'd of thrown yellows about he'd be accussed of over reacting and losing control.

Have a listen to Klippetty's Post match interview with Sky, excellent and spot on.

Clive Thomas, disgrace, should never of been allowed to Ref another match after that monumental mistake ;)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
United came to frustrate and they did, none of the players, managers or pundits mentioned the Ref after the game, that's a big plus for me, no talk of him not letting the game flow etc.
Most LPool fans had made up their mind about him before a ball was kicked, if he'd of thrown yellows about he'd be accussed of over reacting and losing control.

Have a listen to Klippetty's Post match interview with Sky, excellent and spot on.

Clive Thomas, disgrace, should never of been allowed to Ref another match after that monumental mistake ;)

Unlike lots on here, I dont need journalists or pundits to make up my mind for me. I rely on original thought.

You still havent said if its "right", or not, that he should be in that position. He lives 6 miles away from Old Trafford.

BTW - he was 10 yards away from Can with an unimpeded view of Smalling pulling his shirt.

Last edited:

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fair result in a very uninspiring game. One fantastic save, one good save and one bad miss were the total highlights.

seemed like 2 teams more scared of losing

oh, an Stu c, still to early for a opinion on krapius..? I mean
karius 😭

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As the home side I thought Liverpool were reluctant to take too many chances to win the game bar the two efforts De Gea made good saves from. United came with a clear plan and Liverpool had no answer. Thought their forwards were poor. To be fair to the ref I thought given the fuss made he was in a no win situation and actually handled it well especially early on when a few tackles were flying in and it could have got out of hand. All in all though a bit of a damp squib

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
No ref in the world can get every single decision correct over 90 minutes. He got most things correct and if he seemed to over officiate it was probably to stop the tackles getting out of control. You would be moaning more if one of your players were on crutches this morning or nursing a broken cheekbone due to a fellaini elbow.

if it was decided on points then Liverpool would have won the game hands down. But fair play to United they defended very well.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Terrible match. For the hundreds of millions of pounds worth of players on the pitch it was shocking. I dont think Liverpool deserved to win but if one of those Coutinio efforts had crept in it would have served United right for being so defensive. I expected us to play a back 6, thats what our manager does against big teams. We just dont have the pace to counter.

One thing is for sure , Citeh are not quaking in their boots.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a neutral, the ref was excellent. Managed it well, without throwing cards randomly or unnecessarily. If he had let tackles go, it would have escalated very quickly and someone would have been sent off. He would have been accused of losing control then.

Shows how the poor the game was if we're discussing the ref who had a decent game.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As a neutral, the ref was excellent. Managed it well, without throwing cards randomly or unnecessarily. If he had let tackles go, it would have escalated very quickly and someone would have been sent off. He would have been accused of losing control then.

Shows how the poor the game was if we're discussing the ref who had a decent game.

Rubbish, should 2 players be allowed to get away with 8-9 fouls?

Herrera did some great stuff in the game, but if your allowed to make 6-7 fouls without getting booked you can be the best defensive midfielder in the world.

What is the average number of fouls allowed in the prem these days before your booked - 3? 4 if your lucky. just because Ibrahimovic is a forward also doesn't give you more leeway - same for him.

There were 3 main reasons it was a crap game. The way the ref "managed" the game, Mourinho's tactics and our poor passing (and Man u's good pressing) in the first half. Klopp also should have played Origi.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Terrible match. For the hundreds of millions of pounds worth of players on the pitch it was shocking. I dont think Liverpool deserved to win but if one of those Coutinio efforts had crept in it would have served United right for being so defensive. I expected us to play a back 6, thats what our manager does against big teams. We just dont have the pace to counter.

One thing is for sure , Citeh are not quaking in their boots.

The thing is this early in the season City have form, so do Spuds and the Arsenal. Utd, Leicester and a fare few others don't. Ave said this to Missis T, if City can be there or there about when the Jan sales come along and so does Jesus from Brazil Then Pep will kick on. Don't matter who Maureen buys, it will still be boring to watch and a million miles away from the sides Fergie put out.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

Herrera did some great stuff in the game, but if your allowed to make 6-7 fouls without getting booked you can be the best defensive midfielder in the world.

What is the average number of fouls allowed in the prem these days before your booked - 3? 4 if your lucky. just because Ibrahimovic is a forward also doesn't give you more leeway - same for him.

There were 3 main reasons it was a crap game. The way the ref "managed" the game, Mourinho's tactics and our poor passing (and Man u's good pressing) in the first half. Klopp also should have played Origi.

I'm surprised Origi didnt come on sooner as opposed to 5 minutes from the end. They were lording the Man U performance this morning on the radio.... first team this season to take points off Liverpool at home etc etc. it doesn't sit well with me celebrating a draw. What did you think of Pogba ? I wanted him to be what De Bruyn is for Citeh, but so far this season I have been very disappointed. Despite the cross for Ibrahimovic's miss he didn't create much at all.

D

Deleted member 16999

Are those 3 reasons in priority order?
It's showing more and more your frustration at your own team, 99% of the time on here you're answers are honest, looks like last night is the 1% exception, nobody else saw the refs performance like you, Coutinho threw himself about a few times, Can gave as good as he got, but no mention of them,
To have the old sly dig about people needing journo's and pundits opinions is beneath you,
Maybe watching on the TV isn't as good as being there, but you do get to see things 3 or 4 times and from different angles.
Bad performance from you's, get over it, you won't see many like that.

On thr Ref, no issue were he lives said that on here over the weekend.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What did you think of Pogba ? I wanted him to be what De Bruyn is for Citeh, but so far this season I have been very disappointed. Despite the cross for Ibrahimovic's miss he didn't create much at all.

Don't forget that this is De Bruyne's second season with Man City and he didn't exactly set the world alight at the start of his spell there. It wasn't really until the second half of last season that he started to put in the performances that we are now seeing. Pogba has only had a dozen games back at Man Utd so he might take a while to reach his best.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was talking with Tashy yesterday about Everton being happy with a point at City and setting up to play on the break because we accept that City are currently on another level, both in playing and financial terms. What surprised me is that despite breaking the bank over the summer, despite getting in the self appointed best manager in the world, United did the same at Liverpool. Not City, Liverpool. What an enormous change in mentality at Old Trafford. Instead of expecting to be the best and aiming for the best they are grateful for a point and performances of that nature. Why bother blowing £90m on Pogba if that performance is your ambition.

Can Utd fans tell me honestly that they have progressed from Van Gaal because I can't see it so far.

D

Deleted member 16999

I was talking with Tashy yesterday about Everton being happy with a point at City and setting up to play on the break because we accept that City are currently on another level, both in playing and financial terms. What surprised me is that despite breaking the bank over the summer, despite getting in the self appointed best manager in the world, United did the same at Liverpool. Not City, Liverpool. What an enormous change in mentality at Old Trafford. Instead of expecting to be the best and aiming for the best they are grateful for a point and performances of that nature. Why bother blowing £90m on Pogba if that performance is your ambition.

Can Utd fans tell me honestly that they have progressed from Van Gaal because I can't see it so far.
He's 9 games into the season, is it fair to judge, LPool have to started the season very well and if any team goes to Anfield expecting to dominate or attack consistently then they'll probably get battered.
Jose has always been about tactics and last night he was playing a better team.
Jose and the players need time.
Koeman did the same at City and we're over the moon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
He's 9 games into the season, is it fair to judge, LPool have to started the season very well and if any team goes to Anfield expecting to dominate or attack consistently then they'll probably get battered.
Jose has always been about tactics and last night he was playing a better team.
Jose and the players need time.

Your right. 9 games is not enough to judge him on. I hope Pogba comes good and adapts to the faster pace of the Prem. Also worth remembering that these are the exact same tactics that won him his last title with Chelsea.

I like Mata in the side, he is the one that finds the pass but he'll never get a start against the bigger teams and defensive tactics.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree Koeman did the same at City but in other matches this year Everton have played some really good football and we are seeing a pattern to their play that is really good to watch. Mourinho has bought big and yet the football is dull. Only 9 matches in but I don't see any progress. Going to Liverpool and having so little ambition in Utds position is really poor in my eyes. I don't expect them to go gung ho but I expect something. If Utd fans are happy with last night then that says something about where they are at the moment. Are you happy playing with that style?

D

Deleted member 16999

I agree Koeman did the same at City but in other matches this year Everton have played some really good football and we are seeing a pattern to their play that is really good to watch. Mourinho has bought big and yet the football is dull. Only 9 matches in but I don't see any progress. Going to Liverpool and having so little ambition in Utds position is really poor in my eyes. I don't expect them to go gung ho but I expect something. If Utd fans are happy with last night then that says something about where they are at the moment. Are you happy playing with that style?

8 games gone, 7th in the League and 5 points off top, not bad for poor team,
I'll be over the moon if we do the same at Anfield, very few teams will get anything at Anfield this season.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site

United have moved forward, not massively but its a work in progress there has been some good stuff so far and also so not so good!
Last night was a typical Jose performance away from home at a rival, tight compact and disruptive always been his way and always will be IMO. wrong maybe from an entertainment prove of view.
The biggest issue seems to be figuring out the best team and system with the players in the squad.
Pogba didn't do an awful lot last night but if Zlatan finishes the cross and its 1-0 he will have had an assist to win the game, no one else created anything much a few scraps from right wing crosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.