And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 18588

Nope I just named the 2 that sprung to mind.?
Google it if you're that bothered.

Like I said I'm happy with the way things are done now so I'm not bothered but both Podolski & Klose were born in Poland to Polish parents of German origin and moved to Germany as young children.

I would be more concerned by a Costa type of eligibility. I still cannot see how he can be allowed to play for Spain.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Like I said I'm happy with the way things are done now so I'm not bothered but both Podolski & Klose were born in Poland to Polish parents of German origin and moved to Germany as young children.

I would be more concerned by a Costa type of eligibility. I still cannot see how he can be allowed to play for Spain.

We can afford to loose talented players its not as if we are still playing a clearly past it Wayne Rooney in the middle of the pitch.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Should England do more to encourage players who are eligible to play for England to choose England, I am thinking of Iwobi but he isn't the only one, he was eligible to play for both Nigeria and England but Nigeria openly chased him and he chose them.
Should we be more like France and Germany?

Iwobi didn't cost £50M so he must be rubbish. It's not not good enough for some that he is a regular in a very good EPL team and plays ( and scores) for his country too.

D

Deleted member 15344

Iwobi didn't cost £50M so he must be rubbish. It's not not good enough for some that he is a regular in a very good EPL team and plays ( and scores) for his country too.

I think there is a long way to go yet - not scored this season for club yet , only scored 2 last season and one goal for Nigeria. Compar his record to Rashford

Rashford has 4 in 9 this season

8 in 18 last season

Streets apart right now

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Maybe I am but he is still a 20 yr old playing for a top epl side who hasn't looked out of place for 1 second played champions league etc etc who was eligible to play for England and we let him play for Nigeria, and if I am not mistaken he has just scored twice in qualifying for them.

I am sure Ozil as well as the other 2 mentioned was also eligible to play for turkey bur the Germans ensured he chose them.

He has 18 apps for Arsenal,it's too early for us to expect too much.

He also played for England at junior levels. Maybe he made HIS choice to represent Nigeria?

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I think there is a long way to go yet - not scored this season for club yet , only scored 2 last season and one goal for Nigeria. Compar his record to Rashford

Rashford has 4 in 9 this season

8 in 18 last season

Streets apart right now

Rashford is a centre forward and my point wasn't really about Iwobi although I do think England will come to regret not perusing him he was just used as an example it was more about being more flexible with eligible players.

D

Deleted member 18588

Rashford is a centre forward and my point wasn't really about Iwobi although I do think England will come to regret not perusing him he was just used as an example it was more about being more flexible with eligible players.

But we are flexible.

Iwobi may have chosen Nigeria but what could the FA do to prevent him making that decision. He was selected to represent England at U16,17 & 18. At the age of 19, before he had made his senior debut for Arsenal he chose to play for Nigeria. At that time England could not have offered him a guarantee of U21 selection, never mind the full side.

I agree we cannot afford to miss out on young talent but I cannot believe you would want the FA to offer assurances to someone in his situation, after all no such guarantee would be given to a player without dual eligibility.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
But we are flexible.

Iwobi may have chosen Nigeria but what could the FA do to prevent him making that decision. He was selected to represent England at U16,17 & 18. At the age of 19, before he had made his senior debut for Arsenal he chose to play for Nigeria. At that time England could not have offered him a guarantee of U21 selection, never mind the full side.

I agree we cannot afford to miss out on young talent but I cannot believe you would want the FA to offer assurances to someone in his situation, after all no such guarantee would be given to a player without dual eligibility.

Very good point. Having gone through the England junior sides, the FA should have recognised the potential (isn't that part of the St Georges remit?). It should have been possible to get his commitment going forward and both the player and the FA should have been realistic in terms of his U21 debut and progression going forward and that if he got into the Arsenal team and improve, recognition in the U21 would follow.

D

Deleted member 15344

I have a feeling the England will persue the players they believe will be worth it and players that look like they will have bright futures - when you look at the bright young talent around the league and even in the youth set ups Iwobi won't stick out like others do and have - and I expect that's why England didn't persue him. If someone who looks like they have a very bright future but has dual nationality then I'm sure that England will ensure they are part of the national set up. PS from when I have seen him Rashford is playing the same sort of wide supporting role that Iwobi is - and one of them sticks out way above the other

D

Deleted member 18588

Very good point. Having gone through the England junior sides, the FA should have recognised the potential (isn't that part of the St Georges remit?). It should have been possible to get his commitment going forward and both the player and the FA should have been realistic in terms of his U21 debut and progression going forward and that if he got into the Arsenal team and improve, recognition in the U21 would follow.

But how do you secure that commitment?

Imagine you are Iwobi, what have the FA got to offer you to ensure you do not accept an offer to represent the country of your birth and that of your family.

As I said I cannot see that it can be a guarantee of future full caps or even U21, especially when you are still to make your full debut at club level.

Ultimately it has to be the player's choice.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I have a feeling the England will persue the players they believe will be worth it and players that look like they will have bright futures - when you look at the bright young talent around the league and even in the youth set ups Iwobi won't stick out like others do and have - and I expect that's why England didn't persue him. If someone who looks like they have a very bright future but has dual nationality then I'm sure that England will ensure they are part of the national set up. PS from when I have seen him Rashford is playing the same sort of wide supporting role that Iwobi is - and one of them sticks out way above the other

But that's from the man who doesn't notice Ozil either

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
But how do you secure that commitment?

Imagine you are Iwobi, what have the FA got to offer you to ensure you do not accept an offer to represent the country of your birth and that of your family.

As I said I cannot see that it can be a guarantee of future full caps or even U21, especially when you are still to make your full debut at club level.

Ultimately it has to be the player's choice.

I guess it would depend if Nigeria, in this case, could guarantee U21 football and progression the senior squad but as a relatively untried club player, how could they, in the same way as England, be certain he'd cut it at that level. As you say, it has to come down to the player but I do think the FA could be more reactionary

D

Deleted member 15344

I guess the England national team set up at U21 must think the same hence after he turned 18 he didn't go into the U21 set in 2014.

But if you are right then I'm sure he will start to light up the Prem in the same way young players like Ali , Rashford , Sterling are doing

Ultimately you would be hard pressed to find many players that could have represented England but went on to star for another country

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 18588

Best if we forget individuals, Iwobi or Rashford, they are irrelevant to the problem with which the FA would be faced.

How do they secure the players' commitment?

D

Deleted member 18588

I guess it would depend if Nigeria, in this case, could guarantee U21 football and progression the senior squad but as a relatively untried club player, how could they, in the same way as England, be certain he'd cut it at that level. As you say, it has to come down to the player but I do think the FA could be more reactionary

See post#2968.

He made his debut for the Nigerian full side before he had even played for Arsenal's first team.

In those circumstances what could the FA do.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Best if we forget individuals, Iwobi or Rashford, they are irrelevant to the problem with which the FA would be faced.

How do they secure the players' commitment?

Isn't unearthing the new vein of talent all part of the plan for St Georges and surely the FA need to be more proactive. It isn't a new problem though is it. Ryan Giggs anyone?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18588

Isn't unearthing the new vein of talent all part of the plan St Georges and surely the FA need to be more proactive. It isn't a new problem though is it. Ryan Giggs anyone?

In what way was Ryan Giggs eligible for England?

Born in Wales, Welsh parents. Came to live, and go to school, in England when he was six. That did not mean he could play for the English national sides, other than England Schoolboys.

And Iwobi represented England at U16, U17 & U18.

Status
Not open for further replies.