And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In what way was Ryan Giggs eligible for England?

Born in Wales, Welsh parents. Came to live, and go to school, in England when he was six. That did not mean he could play for the English national sides, other than England Schoolboys.

And Iwobi represented England at U16, U17 & U18.

I don't know the answer, but surely if he played for the schoolboys, then by default he would have been eligible to progress to the U16-U18 and onwards to the U21.

D

Deleted member 18588

I don't know the answer, but surely if he played for the schoolboys, then by default he would have been eligible to progress to the U16-U18 and onwards to the U21.

Not until the rules were changed in 2009 could he have ever been eligible but only if he had not already represented another country in a competitive (i.e. not a friendly) match.

Irrelevant in a way, as he retired from international fooyball in 2007!

D

Deleted member 18588

He was the first name that came to mind but surely there must have been others

Why must there be others?

To suit an agenda of bashing the FA?

So far no one has come up with a coherent suggestion of what the FA can do to secure some sort of "commitment". They cannot offer guarantees of future selection nor can they select players for the national side before they are ready.

Obviously they can tell players that they are "in their thoughts for future selection" and in Iwobi's case, for example, this had been made clear by his selection for the various age group teams.

Beyond that it is hard to see what the FA can do; and I am definitely no great supporter of that body.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why must there be others?

To suit an agenda of bashing the FA?

So far no one has come up with a coherent suggestion of what the FA can do to secure some sort of "commitment". They cannot offer guarantees of future selection nor can they select players for the national side before they are ready.

Obviously they can tell players that they are "in their thoughts for future selection" and in Iwobi's case, for example, this had been made clear by his selection for the various age group teams.

Beyond that it is hard to see what the FA can do; and I am definitely no great supporter of that body.

I'm not saying there MUST be others, but assuming that was the case. I do agree with you, what can the FA do although I do think as part of their remit when they opened St Georges, they were prepared to develop the next generation through the junior sides, into the U21 and the full squad. So many variables of course and many players don't go on and fulfil their potential, and so the question of choosing their nationality, fails to arise.

The one thing I hope we can agree on is that the FA have a difficult job, although they don't always seem to help themselves. What can they do? As a question (and again I don't know the answer hence asking) do other countries do things differently?

D

Deleted member 18588

I'm not saying there MUST be others, but assuming that was the case. I do agree with you, what can the FA do although I do think as part of their remit when they opened St Georges, they were prepared to develop the next generation through the junior sides, into the U21 and the full squad.

As far as I can see St. Georges is working well judging by the recent successes of the "junior" teams and, thus, it would appear that developing talent is being identified.

With regard to other countries I see no evidence to suggest that any of them are any more successful than the FA in identifying and then retaining young talent.

Our senior side has well publicised difficulties but so far those do not seem to have arisen from missing out on exceptional talent.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The best way forward for the FA would be to get the senior team winning trophies, and then the best players would want to play for England, and not Wales, Nigeria, or where ever.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That would be a great plan apart from a few minor details. Such as the fact that we aren't actually very good and our players certainly aren't as good as they think they are. I've heard comments from Henderson and Stones saying that Rooney was superb against Malta. I know they can't say he was awful but they must think that all England fans are stupid if they think we'll buy that. Rooney was one of several England players that put in average performances against a very poor team.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
That would be a great plan apart from a few minor details. Such as the fact that we aren't actually very good and our players certainly aren't as good as they think they are. I've heard comments from Henderson and Stones saying that Rooney was superb against Malta. I know they can't say he was awful but they must think that all England fans are stupid if they think we'll buy that. Rooney was one of several England players that put in average performances against a very poor team.

Don't forget that a lot of fans will boo him just because of who he is and who he plays for.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com

Given Rooney is a naturally chunky guy with a game built around his speed and strengh his career was always going to end abruptly he has scored a lot of goals for England but I cannot see there being many more.

D

Deleted member 16999

Don't forget that a lot of fans will boo him just because of who he is and who he plays for.

Agreed, it would be nice if we coukd put our club allegiances aside when it comes to the National side, unfortunately even genuine comments about players are dismissed or jumped on and judged by the person making the comment and who they support.
I will always support England, but to me the game against Malta was the worst I've seen for years and that includes McClaren, Taylor etc. The 2-0 win was as good as a loss to me (apart from the points) not one player could hold his head up and walk off that pitch thinking he'd worked a shift.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed, it would be nice if we coukd put our club allegiances aside when it comes to the National side, unfortunately even genuine comments about players are dismissed or jumped on and judged by the person making the comment and who they support.
I will always support England, but to me the game against Malta was the worst I've seen for years and that includes McClaren, Taylor etc. The 2-0 win was as good as a loss to me (apart from the points) not one player could hold his head up and walk off that pitch thinking he'd worked a shift.

It wasn't too inspiring, I'll give you that ........................ but England did miss a couple of sitters and the Malta goalie made several world class saves.
It could easily have been 7 or 8-0 on another day.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Rooney isn't playing great,but he's not
alone.
He makes himself available for selection,it's then down to the manager to drop him if he's not performing.

D

Deleted member 15344

Which was Something that started around 2001 when England played at Old Trafford and certain players were booed because of the club they played for.

I very much doubt it's as bad now playing at Wemberlee and being booed just for playing for the Mancs I don't think is common place - seems he is getting booed right now because he is playing poorly but that in itself shows the level of the modern fan when players get booed just for playing poorly

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
If a player gives it his all and is poor, he shouldn't be booed. I don't think anyone would claim Rooney doesn't put in a shift every time he steps onto the pitch - he just isn't good enough anymore.

D

Deleted member 16999

It wasn't too inspiring, I'll give you that ........................ but England did miss a couple of sitters and the Malta goalie made several world class saves.
It could easily have been 7 or 8-0 on another day.
We've been using them excuses and saying that for years, when is enough, enough, if an England team ever had a chance to boost themselves it was last saturday.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
People pay a lot of money to be entertained watching footy. If they want to boo, fine, they have paid their money, it's up to them. It's also up to the players to entertain. They didn't.

D

Deleted member 16999

Which was Something that started around 2001 when England played at Old Trafford and certain players were booed because of the club they played for.

I very much doubt it's as bad now playing at Wemberlee and being booed just for playing for the Mancs I don't think is common place - seems he is getting booed right now because he is playing poorly but that in itself shows the level of the modern fan when players get booed just for playing poorly

No England player has ever took the stick and bad press as Rooney has been given, the whole team was poor against Malta and only he was booed.
Right now he is at the fans and media centre for all that is wrong with the team and is being made the scapegoat.
If England win comfortably tomorrow without him starting then that's what'll be focussed on.

D

Deleted member 15344

No England player has ever took the stick and bad press as Rooney has been given, the whole team was poor against Malta and only he was booed.
Right now he is at the fans and media centre for all that is wrong with the team and is being made the scapegoat.
If England win comfortably tomorrow without him starting then that's what'll be focussed on.

Whole team poor ?

I didn't watch the game but reading papers and BBC as well as the radio seems to suggest that Henderson had a very good game and it seems he will take over the captaincy ? So were the reports wrong ?

D

Deleted member 16999

Whole team poor ?

I didn't watch the game but reading papers and BBC as well as the radio seems to suggest that Henderson had a very good game and it seems he will take over the captaincy ? So were the reports wrong ?

I did watch it and yes, it was Malta at Wembley Phil, we dominated possession so Henderson and Rooney saw a lot of the ball, never put under any pressure by their midfield, they put 9 in defence, but it was clueless, lots of side passing, backwards and forwards, final ball apart from a couple of times was found wanting.
Not singleing out any particular player as going on the opposition it was only what you'd expect.
You'll always get a MoM, Southgate thought Rooney was superb and now he's dropped him.
You know how much I've defended England on here and all the issues you and StuC have brought up time after time happened in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.