And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No England player has ever took the stick and bad press as Rooney has been given, the whole team was poor against Malta and only he was booed.
Right now he is at the fans and media centre for all that is wrong with the team and is being made the scapegoat.
If England win comfortably tomorrow without him starting then that's what'll be focussed on.

It wasn't a great performance and there were a few that didn't perform well but Rooney was definitely a scapegoat as you rightfully say. How much of this decision by Southgate to put Rooney on the bench is to do with him flexing his managerial muscles in front of the FA and perhaps less to do with the tactical needs of the team away to a tricky opponent

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
It wasn't a great performance and there were a few that didn't perform well but Rooney was definitely a scapegoat as you rightfully say. How much of this decision by Southgate to put Rooney on the bench is to do with him flexing his managerial muscles in front of the FA and perhaps less to do with the tactical needs of the team away to a tricky opponent

Or it could be that he is that rare breed of England manager, one that picks players that are in form and not by reputation (also known as the Darren Clark disease) and Rooney has contributed little in real terms when it matters for club and country for a long time now.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Or it could be that he is that rare breed of England manager, one that picks players that are in form and not by reputation (also known as the Darren Clark disease) and Rooney has contributed little in real terms when it matters for club and country for a long time now.

We can but hope that he is indeed picking on form and not reputation

D

Deleted member 16999

No issue with Rooney not being picked for any team based in form.
Have a read of Southgates comments about Rooney before and after the Malta game, how important he is, how he can influence games, how the media treat unfairly etc
He then makes him Captain, we win, he drops him! Is Southgate being his own man or listening to the media?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
When I was watching the match, it felt like I was watching subbuteo. There was so little movement in the final third of the pitch. It wasn't Rooneys fault, it was all of them.

D

Deleted member 18588

Have a read of Southgates comments about Rooney before and after the Malta game, how important he is, how he can influence games, how the media treat unfairly etc
He then makes him Captain, we win, he drops him! Is Southgate being his own man or listening to the media?

It does seem that Southgate wants England to play at a faster tempo, something Rooney is no longer capable of.

This was obvious last season at club level and contributed towards the downfall of van Gaal, Southgate does not want to go the same way.

D

Deleted member 16999

It does seem that Southgate wants England to play at a faster tempo, something Rooney is no longer capable of.

This was obvious last season at club level and contributed towards the downfall of van Gaal, Southgate does not want to go the same way.
Dier is unavailable so he plays Rooney instead, why play Rooney at all? he's not a midfield player and surely it's not another England manager who thinks it is?
I get it was Southgates first match and unexpected, but surely he wouldn't of got poorer opposition to try and get the players to play the way he wants and to pick those best suited. I didn't see any of this faster tempo against Malta or was that because Rooney played.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Or the Man U manager has had a quiet word with Gareth, and asked him not to play him?

D

Deleted member 18588

I didn't see any of this faster tempo against Malta or was that because Rooney played.

Obviously not solely responsible but he does seem remarkably pedestrian these days which, in the role he fulfilled on Saturday,slows down the whole team.

D

Deleted member 16999

Obviously not solely responsible but he does seem remarkably pedestrian these days which, in the role he fulfilled on Saturday,slows down the whole team.
But that's the managers responsibility to pick the right player for the job and if me and you can see that that isn't Rooney, why was he picked?
He'll be on the bench tomorrow and if Henderson or Dier take a knock, it'll be Rooney replacing them!

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Did anyone see Benteke's goal after seven seconds tonight? Hilarious defending.

Pogba made Stekelenburg look stupid tonight, too.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't believe Henderson is going to captain the national side.

England are poor because he is deemed one of our better players now. We've regressed so much in the last few years it's astonishing.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
When I was watching the match, it felt like I was watching subbuteo. There was so little movement in the final third of the pitch. It wasn't Rooneys fault, it was all of them.

Its catch 22 though if the ball is getting stuck in midfield it makes it impossible to time your runs, I would agree that it wasn't all his fault but he is not good enough to play out of position.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can't believe Henderson is going to captain the national side.

England are poor because he is deemed one of our better players now. We've regressed so much in the last few years it's astonishing.

I wouldn't say that Henderson is necessarily great captain material.

What I would say is who is a regular more senior player than him, currently?

Who says captains have to be the better players? Some of the worlds greatest players haven't been captains.

Status
Not open for further replies.