And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 16999

I cant argue, as Henderson does do the safe thing far too many times, but again, easy saying it shoudnt be him as captain - offer who it should be, and why. :thup:
No issue with Henderson being Captain, I'd only give it to someone who Captains their club and can carry the role off.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't say that Henderson is necessarily great captain material.

What I would say is who is a regular more senior player than him, currently?

Who says captains have to be the better players? Some of the worlds greatest players haven't been captains.

I'd have Hart over Henderson.

I didn't mean he was captain because he was our best player but his name has been mentioned in recent performances as one of our better players.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd have Hart over Henderson.

I didn't mean he was captain because he was our best player but his name has been mentioned in recent performances as one of our better players.

I think Hart is about the only other choice, but depends on if you want a goalie as a captain, or not. IS Hart guaranteed a place at the mo?

I think ink that goalies are generally mouthy organisers anyway, so get a respect from that anyway, especially when marshalling a defence. I would generally like a centre half or CM to be my captain, unless a forward or a FB was an outstanding candidate.

ENgland captains have all the off field stuff to contend with as well.....so you have to help out old ladies etc. ;)

D

Deleted member 15344

Well for Liverpool Henderson has started very well and is captaining the side very well , reading reports and listening to ex players and pundits on 5Live suggest he was the best player on the pitch the other night and currently seems he is worth his place for both club and country - so can see why he would be a good choice for England captain. Henderson will always have his critics and that won't change no matter what he does but right now he is on form and playing well - and that's what England should be doing - picking players who are on form.

Don't see many other choices to pick from right now

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Hart is about the only other choice, but depends on if you want a goalie as a captain, or not. IS Hart guaranteed a place at the mo?

I think ink that goalies are generally mouthy organisers anyway, so get a respect from that anyway, especially when marshalling a defence. I would generally like a centre half or CM to be my captain, unless a forward or a FB was an outstanding candidate.

ENgland captains have all the off field stuff to contend with as well.....so you have to help out old ladies etc. ;)

Hart or Henderson as our best candidates just shows how poor the pool to select from is.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well for Liverpool Henderson has started very well and is captaining the side very well , reading reports and listening to ex players and pundits on 5Live suggest he was the best player on the pitch the other night and currently seems he is worth his place for both club and country - so can see why he would be a good choice for England captain. Henderson will always have his critics and that won't change no matter what he does but right now he is on form and playing well - and that's what England should be doing - picking players who are on form.

Don't see many other choices to pick from right now

Being the best player on the pitch against a team of part timers when your own team is playing poorly doesn't really scream of quality.

And before I anyone thinks I'm just slagging Henderson for the sake of it I was singing his praises as one of our best players during the last World Cup. My opinion is totally impartial

D

Deleted member 15344

Being the best player on the pitch against a team of part timers when your own team is playing poorly doesn't really scream of quality.

And before I anyone thinks I'm just slagging Henderson for the sake of it I was singing his praises as one of our best players during the last World Cup. My opinion is totally impartial

Henderson is the form English midfielder in the league right now - he is not world class or a top quality player but right now he is in form and playing very well - creating chances , protecting the ball , his runs from midfield are superb and he can cross a ball . He isn't the most skillful and you won't see him skinning players with fancy footwork but he is doing all the right things despite the constant flak he gets. He has earned his place in the team right now at this moment. Better more skillful players aren't playing better

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Wasn't hard to look good in front of that lot, playing that badly. Not convinced he's as shining a midfield star as others see him and not sure he's a truly world class midfielder..yet. He's improving and to be honest we're not flooded with talent in his role. Klopp will improve him but at the moment but he's got a way to go in my mind. We'll see what captaincy does to the performance tonight and whether he can handle the responsibility of captaining his country, away from home in what may be a tricky encounter.

D

Deleted member 16999

Henderson is the form English midfielder in the league right now - he is not world class or a top quality player but right now he is in form and playing very well - creating chances , protecting the ball , his runs from midfield are superb and he can cross a ball . He isn't the most skillful and you won't see him skinning players with fancy footwork but he is doing all the right things despite the constant flak he gets. He has earned his place in the team right now at this moment. Better more skillful players aren't playing better
I would trust his form for LPool far more than his performance against Malta, he's started the season great and I'd also like to see Milner in the team as he has also started the season in great form, I'm just surprised you are now trusting the pundits and ex-players with opinions about England matches when in the past you've dismissed most of them were England is concerned.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would trust his form for LPool far more than his performance against Malta, he's started the season great and I'd also like to see Milner in the team as he has also started the season in great form, I'm just surprised you are now trusting the pundits and ex-players with opinions about England matches when in the past you've dismissed most of them were England is concerned.

He'll use their opinions when it fits his narrative. If he was slated he'd say it was because of club bias or some tosh.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Where would you play Milner? Him and Henderson in cm would be depressing IMO.

And wouldbt want him at lb. hasn't he retired anyway?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Jeeeeez.
He's not even starting and it's still all about Rooney.
Can't they give him a break and leave him alone .......................... just for a change?
It should be about England, the team and it's starting eleven, you'd think.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Jeeeeez.
He's not even starting and it's still all about Rooney.
Can't they give him a break and leave him alone .......................... just for a change?
It should be about England, the team and it's starting eleven, you'd think.

When the captain gets dropped its pretty big news

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Time for the new look England to stand up and be counted tonight,great chance once and for all to show we are moving in the right direction.

I believe it is a good time to drop Rooney as he has not played his best for a while now,however if we are going down the road of form players where is Drinkwater.

This could be the making of Henderson or he could fall flat on his face,i do hope he does well as we need a England playing good football.

Status
Not open for further replies.