And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stop using money as an excuse - Leicester have shown that you can't continuely fall back on that excuse

Arsenal since 11 have spent £340 mill on players ! And players like Van Persie didn't leave because of wages - they left because they wanted to win titles. Why have you not included Man Utd when you want to remove title winners ?

Does money play a part ? Yes it does - it will help buy the better players but the last season showed that have the better players doesn't automatically mean you will win the title.

Don't use one example like Leicester , that was the exception not the rule.

Man U is a bit different. They generate more than Arsenal anyway from football related activities and that you just have to accept.

It's just unfortunate for Wenger that massive foreiign outside-investment came in when Arsenal were at their most vulnerable financially.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Man U is a bit different. They generate more than Arsenal anyway from football related activities and that you just have to accept.

It's just unfortunate for Wenger that massive foreiign outside-investment came in when Arsenal were at their most vulnerable financially.

But Leicester aren't the only club breaking the financial rule.

Saints have finished above above teams in recent years that have spent significantly better. The question that's raised is why Wenger has t been able to inspire the Arsenal team to better things.

I think what what he did in the early years was great, what he did during transition was exceptional. But now, finances can't be blamed and personally belive that he could have done better. Last season you had the lead in the league and crumbled. Your points tally was poor. It's that plan and simple. So questions remain, will he guide you to another title. And finances can't be the excuse anymore, nit because of Leicester, but because your team is expesive enough to at least properly challenge.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

What about Klopps Dortmund or Simionè's Athletico Madrid?

Both won leagues without the available spends of the usual suspects/winners within their leagues (Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Real Madrid respectively).

Different leagues granted but only echoes the fact Leicester are not the only team to win league titles while not having the spending power of their league rivals.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It's a bit disingenuous to complain about "massive foreign outside investment" when your major shareholder (just under 67%) is an American with a net worth of over £4 billion. Wenger and the board say that there is money to spend and in the last few seasons Wenger hasn't exactly been shy of spending some of that money.

D

Deleted member 1740

It's a bit disingenuous to complain about "massive foreign outside investment" when your major shareholder (just under 67%) is an American with a net worth of over £4 billion. Wenger and the board say that there is money to spend and in the last few seasons Wenger hasn't exactly been shy of spending some of that money.

It's ok when Arsenal splash £34m on a squad player, but when city or Chelsea do it they're spoiling the game :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 16999

What about Klopps Dortmund or Simionè's Athletico Madrid?

Both won leagues without the available spends of the usual suspects/winners within their leagues (Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Real Madrid respectively).

Different leagues granted but only echoes the fact Leicester are not the only team to win league titles while not having the spending power of their league rivals.

Disagree and a bit unfair to Leicester, Klopp and Simeone did and are doing great things against big spending rivals, but both clubs especially Atletico were not in the state Leicester were, both were League and Cup winners and European winners in their very recent history when Klopp and Simeone took over.
Both took a coupke of years to win the respective titles again.
Ranieri inherited a team that finished 1 place off relegation and turned them into the League champions in his first season, a team with a very limited history.
Not saying at all Klopp and Simeone had it easy or didn't/aren't deserve praise, but Leicester has no were near the stature or history of Dortmund or Atletico and what they did imo is incompariable in modern football.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree with Sawtooth with regards to Leicester.

Yes, it is correct that Leicester won the league with little money (also in a season, when the previous years champions finished 9 places lower), which is equally as unusual.

Over the last 10-12 years the top 4-5 spending teams have generally finished in the top 4-5. Money does make a massive difference in football nowadays, but it isnt the ABSOLUTE be all and end all.

Just because leicester done it once, doesnt mean that it will be done many times in the future.

I will also argue against him on Wenger, but the leicester defence doesnt stack up against it for me.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If your hypothesis is that a team can't win the league as they don't have the financial resources, it only takes one counter-example to refute that.

Teams have done it abroad, and now they've done it here as well.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Much is made of the top four consistency but if you look at the finances that's what arsenal should be expected to achieve. The same way it's expected the big money clubs will finish higher. Rarely seems to be mentioned though.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Much is made of the top four consistency but if you look at the finances that's what arsenal should be expected to achieve. The same way it's expected the big money clubs will finish higher. Rarely seems to be mentioned though.

I don't dispute what you say but want to add that it's on the back of Wenger's great work that Arsenal finances are what they are today.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
There can be no denying that Wenger would have won more titles if it wasn't for those clubs that got a helping hand as you put it.

And for the record there is no way Klopp , Pep, Guardiola would have won more at Arsenal over the same transition period with the same budget. Absolutely no chance IMO.

You're so biased towards Wenger, it is nothing short of laughable.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
For 4 seasons he (w)rapped in 61 league goals, from the wing.

It took Ryan 7 years (in his best seasons to score that). In his worst seasons it took him 14 years to do the equivalent.

I can't believe its up for debate?:thup:

you didn't have to google the stats im not really debating but not going to publicly give youse any praise ever! :D

PS. Lge Cup away allocations 10%
Fa Cup 15%
all subject to safety certificate obviously like the PL allocations another reduced one for us on Oct 17th!!! :angry:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I don't dispute what you say but want to add that it's on the back of Wenger's great work that Arsenal finances are what they are today.

Wenger is the (football) manager, not the club's financial director. C'mon Sean, as much as I'm very much a Wenger fan I don't think he is either Superman or Saint Arsene. I don't doubt he's done some fantastic stuff, football-wise, that have impacted on the club's finances but it's the FD that's given him the rope.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're so biased towards Wenger, it is nothing short of laughable.

It is, however equally laughable (painful) is people turning him posting a quote made by Yaya Toure's agent about Pep Guardiola into another 3 pages of covering the same old ground about Arsenal and Wenger.

This would be a decent thread if that argument didn't consume it every week or if something new was discussed but it's the same stuff posted over and over and over and over and over and over.......

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yaya's agent is a prat who has just burnt some very wealthy bridges. No doubt he is a multi millionaire so he wont care but if I was one of his clients I would be looking elsewhere for representation.

Questions about Guardiola's management skills? Really? Watch the number of clubs queuing up to employ him when he is finished at City. I'd have him.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rooney dropped to the bench for the game today. Now we just need the England manager to grow the balls to do the same.

Need Allardyce to play Rooney in his usual striker position. If he then doesn't cut it there then agreed , needs to be dropped.

It's a bit unfair to judge Rooney on being a midfielder when clearly he isn't one and never will be.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I not think on his current form he deserves a place in the team in any position. Every time I've seen him play this season attacks have slowed down when they went through him.

Status
Not open for further replies.