And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
YaYa Toure agent, Seluk, publicly criticising Pep.

“If Pep wants to prove himself as a great manager, then he should go to Real Zaragoza or Sunderland. Let’s see how good he is when he doesn't take over a great team and hasn't got half a billion pounds to spend."

He has a point.

doesn't matter if you have half a billion in the transfer kitty if your banned from signing players........

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/foot...-of-youngster/ar-BBwuuMZ?li=BBoPWjP&ocid=iehp

D

Deleted member 16999

“If Pep wants to prove himself as a great manager, then he should go to Real Zaragoza or Sunderland. Let’s see how good he is when he doesn't take over a great team and hasn't got half a billion pounds to spend."

He has a point. 😝
Only spent 20 Million at Bayern and the link below from 2015 has him behind Wenger for spending.

http://www.90min.com/posts/2043756-the-world-s-12-biggest-spending-managers-since-2004

He's spent a bit more at City, but not what an agent says.

Trophies wise, he's money well spent.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only spent 20 Million at Bayern and the link below from 2015 has him behind Wenger for spending.

http://www.90min.com/posts/2043756-the-world-s-12-biggest-spending-managers-since-2004

He's spent a bit more at City, but not what an agent says.

Trophies wise, he's money well spent.

Nonsense. He spent more than that at Bayern. Thiago Silva cost more than that alone.

And that link compares managers from 2004 onwards. Pep didn't take charge of Barca until 08/09 !

And with City let's not forget the £1Bn that was spent before Pep arrived and he spent another few hundred million.

I could take charge of City tomorrow and would stand a chance of winning something in my first season too.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Doesn't matter how much he spent at Bayern,he took over a treble winning side that didn't need any money spending on it to win the league.

D

Deleted member 16999

Nonsense. He spent more than that at Bayern. Thiago Silva cost more than that alone.

And that link compares managers from 2004 onwards. Pep didn't take charge of Barca until 08/09 !

And with City let's not forget the £1Bn that was spent before Pep arrived and he spent another few hundred million.

I could take charge of City tomorrow and would stand a chance of winning something in my first season too.

The 20 Million was in his first season, apologies, irrelevant what was spent before him, you can't credit them to him, Wenger has spent half a billion since he's been in post and Guardiola is still more succesful, if it's all about the teams you inherit, why wasn't Moyes succesful at Utd or what happened to Jose last season.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15126/10153635/pep-guadiolas-transfer-policy-analysed-ahead-of-man-city-move

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

He has a point. 😝

Your opinion and attitude towards Pep was slightly different when you were extremely confident he was going to take over at Arsenal.

His trophy count stands up to be counted both domestically and in Europe.

I guess he just needs a good run of 4th places to rated alongside Wenger :rolleyes:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Your opinion and attitude towards Pep was slightly different when you were extremely confident he was going to take over at Arsenal.

I guess he just needs a good run of 4th places to rated alongside Wenger :rolleyes:
And back to Wenger 🙄

Obsessed.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

I don't think that I was ever extremely confident lol.

His trophy count stands up as one of the best yes but he has just so happened to have managed 3 of the most priveleged clubs in their respective countries .

This has nothing to do with Wenger and I don't know why people are quick to make comparisons. You are comparing apples and oranges anyway.

The debate is about Pep and would he be any good if he managed a smaller club with less money to spend.

D

Deleted member 16999

His trophy count stands up as one of the best yes but he has just so happened to have managed 3 of the most priveleged clubs in their respective countries .

This has nothing to do with Wenger and I don't know why people are quick to make comparisons. You are comparing apples and oranges anyway.

The debate is about Pep and would he be any good if he managed a smaller club with less money to spend.
Serious question, can you name any person at the top of their profession who has put his hand up and said they've had enough success and wish to start at the bottom again.
It's ridiculous to constantly bring up the point about people reproving themselves at other clubs lower down the peckin order or not having money to spend, they're in that position because they are the best at the moment.

D

Deleted member 15344

The best and successful managers get the bigger clubs - the reason being that they bring success

What would you consider "success" at a smaller club ?

City last year were a bit of a mess , players a mess , Pep comes and gets them playing together and looking like they will walk the league - spent a bit but hasn't gone mad in the same way Maureen has at the Mancs yet outclassed them the other week.

He is IMO the best manager in the game right now

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Serious question, can you name any person at the top of their profession who has put his hand up and said they've had enough success and wish to start at the bottom again.
It's ridiculous to constantly bring up the point about people reproving themselves at other clubs lower down the peckin order or not having money to spend, they're in that position because they are the best at the moment.

The only point I can see some make is that he never had to work his way up as such. Fergie did his time and lower levels, as did Mourinho. Pep went into a well piled machine. Granted he improved them. At bayern they at times played more entertaining football but he didn't do anything unexpected.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

Not constantly bringing it up, it's topical now due to the Toure agent bust up with Pep.

Of course you wouldn't blame Pep if he carried on cherry picking the best jobs in football. He has earned that right and unless he wanted to prove something to himself I can't ever see him taking over a project with next to no money to spend.

Same can be said for Mourinho.

As you bought Wenger into it, he is the exact opposite, He likes a bargain and would relish the prospect of turning nothing into something. As you keep pointing out , he has the money but doesn't spend it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not constantly bringing it up, it's topical now due to the Toure agent bust up with Pep.

Of course you wouldn't blame Pep if he carried on cherry picking the best jobs in football. He has earned that right and unless he wanted to prove something to himself I can't ever see him taking over a project with next to no money to spend.

Same can be said for Mourinho.

As you bought Wenger into it, he is the exact opposite, He likes a bargain and would relish the prospect of turning nothing into something. As you keep pointing out , he has the money but doesn't spend it.

So why doesn't Wenger move on to a club with little money to spend to get those bargains and turn them into something ?

As opposed to sitting in the seat of no ambition

D

Deleted member 18588

So why doesn't Wenger move on to a club with little money to spend to get those bargains and turn them into something ?

Because they wouldn't pay him £7m a year?

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

Ambition is the same as it's ever been. Now we have the money we are spending it more. Some players just aren't for sale simple as that. And others are offered at ridiculously inflated prices.

D

Deleted member 15344

Ambition is the same as it's ever been. Now we have the money we are spending it more. Some players just aren't for sale simple as that. And others are offered at ridiculously inflated prices.

Sorry but you were talking about Wenger relishing the prospect of turning nothing into something and bargains - so why has he not moved on to a club to try that then ?

The other managers you mention - Pep and Maureen may spend money and work with great players but they also win trophies - they do what is required of them, they have no need to go to a Sunderland etc . Wenger spends money ( lots of it in the last 4 years ) to win nothing.

I ask the question - would Pep and Maureen have done better with Arsenal over the last five years with the same budget - for me yes , they both would have won the title with Arsenal IMO

D

Deleted member 16999

The only point I can see some make is that he never had to work his way up as such. Fergie did his time and lower levels, as did Mourinho. Pep went into a well piled machine. Granted he improved them. At bayern they at times played more entertaining football but he didn't do anything unexpected.
Fair point, but he's not the first, Cruyff, Beckenbauer and Klinnsmann etc also went into top jobs straight away, others have gone into very succesful sides and took them backwards.

D

Deleted member 16999

All this talk of Pep, Wenger etc, why is anybody taking any notice of an agent, bloodsucking leaches, 99% of them never kicked a ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.