And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can I rewind a few pages. I'm not having Dalglish above Kendall in the top 10 managers list. Dalglish inherited an already succesful Liverpool team and bought a championship with Blackburn. Kendall developed a team at Everton and created a genuinely top side for a few years. I'm not claiming top 3 or 5 but I'm having him over Kenny.

Have you ever looked at Liverpool's 1985 side (under Joe Fagan, won nothing, great manager BTW) and our 1987 side - totally different team.

Kenny was 2 wins away from doing 3 doubles.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Or you could argue Kenny took over a well oiled machine that had its own way of doing things, a proven system of success and promoting from within that dominated football for decades and left it in the toilet.

Both appear valid

So did David Moyesa, although he did get rid of the pistons and the crankshaft.:D

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Look at the number of games and the quality of opposition Liverpool faced when they were in the European Cup in the 70s and 80s. You could win it by playing only one or two tough opponents in the whole campaign. The CL is much more difficult to win as can be shown by no team yet retaining it and Barca not truly converting their dominance into more CL victories.

The European Cup and the Champions League are not directly comparable in my opinion if you look at the demands and structure of them.

maybe now but some of the defeats in the around the turn of the century were to lesser opposition just being more tactically astute IMO.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you ever looked at Liverpool's 1985 side (under Joe Fagan, won nothing, great manager BTW) and our 1987 side - totally different team.

Kenny was 2 wins away from doing 3 doubles.

Just googled it. Not a huge difference to my eyes. Maybe some of the names were at the end of their careers but as I did not follow Liverpool I could not tell you when the Hansen's, Lawrenson's, Rush's etc were coming to the end.

Fagan won nothing in 85 due to Kendall's Everton team, thanks for highlighting this :D, but cleared up in 84 as Howard was still in the building phase. Maybe Kenny only did well as Howard left and Everton started to decline? Ha ha.

D

Deleted member 16999

Just googled it. Not a huge difference to my eyes. Maybe some of the names were at the end of their careers but as I did not follow Liverpool I could not tell you when the Hansen's, Lawrenson's, Rush's etc were coming to the end.

Fagan won nothing in 85 due to Kendall's Everton team, thanks for highlighting this :D, but cleared up in 84 as Howard was still in the building phase. Maybe Kenny only did well as Howard left and Everton started to decline? Ha ha.

Unfortunately we were 1 win away from a treble and never got a chance to compete in Europe for 5 years and who knows if we may or may not achieved more under Kendall.
Don't agree with these lists about greatest ever this that or the other as football has changed over the decades, prefer to judge on what I've witnessed not what I've read about in History books. There is no doubt to me that the Liverpool domination in the mid 70's - 90's through various managers was more down to how the Club was run than singleing out 1 individual and I doubt we'll never see that repeated by any Club.

D

Deleted member 16999

Everton being turned over at home by Norwich. :D
Norwich deserve it mate, bodies on the line defending then scored a superb 2nd (worth seeing) on the break.
Proves what we were discussing about squad depth.
Good win by Norwich, Ruddy had a good night in goal and their defence was excellent, no excuses and good luck to Norwich in the next round.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1740

Norwich deserve it mate, bodies on the line defending then scored a superb 2nd (worth seeing) on the break.
Good win by Norwich, Ruddy had a good night in goal and their defence was excellent, no excuses and good luck to Norwich in the next round.

FA Cup or bust now :D

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Your squad depth should easily outdo Norwich at home.

According to radio Merseyside (I know the blues on here dont get that where they live;)) Norwich have made ten changes to their side from Saturday (weaker team), whereas the blues only made 6, and should have more than enough for them.

D

Deleted member 16999

Cmon Paul, you cannot blame squad depth. Norwich made 10 changes 🤔

Dave, we had all the possession, loads of chances, failed to take them due to poor finishing plus Norwich keeper and defence had one of them nights, credit to Norwich. We weren't good enough tonight, said the other day we have no back up to Lukaku.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

According to radio Merseyside (I know the blues on here dont get that where they live;)) Norwich have made ten changes to their side from Saturday (weaker team), whereas the blues only made 6, and should have more than enough for them.

Think I wrote most of the above, top of the page 🤔

Im not on ignore now am I? 😜

D

Deleted member 16999

Of course we should, I coukd put my blue glasses on and moan about Naismith slipping over to score, stonewall handball on the line when we were 1-0 down, fact was regardless of squad changes we do have more than enough and tonight Norwich fought harder and wanted it more, better to lose this than lose in the league.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Of course we should, I coukd put my blue glasses on and moan about Naismith slipping over to score, stonewall handball on the line when we were 1-0 down, fact was regardless of squad changes we do have more than enough and tonight Norwich fought harder and wanted it more, better to lose this than lose in the league.

Every single stat says you battered them, apart from they had 2 shots on target and scored with both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.