And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I think Man Utd's dominance over the past 25 years is what leads to stuff like this "12 points a season" nonsense that is being spouted on here. That's the price of success.

Mourinho needs to get over the Fellaini obsession and give Rooney an extend spell on the bench. Herrera and Schneiderlin need to get time on the pitch and Rashford and Martial need to play through the middle more often, especially the former. No point sticking an instinctive finisher on the wing.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Another weekend, another dreadful performance from our lot.

Serious worries for the season, thought our performances against City & Spurs could have been a combination of bad luck/better team but we looked so far out of our depth yesterday it was mental. Can't even pinpoint what's gone wrong...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can I rewind a few pages. I'm not having Dalglish above Kendall in the top 10 managers list. Dalglish inherited an already succesful Liverpool team and bought a championship with Blackburn. Kendall developed a team at Everton and created a genuinely top side for a few years. I'm not claiming top 3 or 5 but I'm having him over Kenny.

D

Deleted member 16999

I think Man Utd's dominance over the past 25 years is what leads to stuff like this "12 points a season" nonsense that is being spouted on here. That's the price of success.

Totally agree, but it's easier to blame someone else than accept their own inadaquencies.

D

Deleted member 15344

Can I rewind a few pages. I'm not having Dalglish above Kendall in the top 10 managers list. Dalglish inherited an already succesful Liverpool team and bought a championship with Blackburn. Kendall developed a team at Everton and created a genuinely top side for a few years. I'm not claiming top 3 or 5 but I'm having him over Kenny.

So what about the team in 88 -did he inherit that as well which went on to win two titles

He was also the first player manager to also win the double and took over a side who hadn't previously won the league

And he took Blackburn from the old second div to winning the Prem during a time Man Utd were dominating

He won twice the amount of league titles Kendall did

Sorry but Kenny above Kendall every day of the week

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Another weekend, another dreadful performance from our lot.

Serious worries for the season, thought our performances against City & Spurs could have been a combination of bad luck/better team but we looked so far out of our depth yesterday it was mental. Can't even pinpoint what's gone wrong...

Is this the pay off of moving from a style of solid, direct football from the back with an emphasis on good defensive structure to a team with more expansive players who want to do more on the ball? It was a culture shock and was probably going to happen eventually. I think Stoke will turn it around and be comfortably midtable by the end of the season but it must be worrying to be leaking 3-4 goals seemingly every week!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So what about the team in 88 -did he inherit that as well which went on to win two titles

He was also the first player manager to also win the double and took over a side who hadn't previously won the league

And he took Blackburn from the old second div to winning the Prem during a time Man Utd were dominating

At Blackburn he bought big and it paid off. Well done, great achievement but that team wasn't built, it was bought. Liverpool were hardly in the doldrums in 88. I just did a quick google to check the team out. Grobbelaar, Nicol, Hansen, Lawrenson, Staunton, McMahon, Whelan, Houghton, Wark, Molby, Barnes, Dalglish, Rush, Beardsley, Aldridge were there and immediately stood out. Most of them had been there for a good while. Liverpool during the 80's evolved every year, no big rebuilding job required. With the back room staff there the side ran itself. Brilliant set up.

Kendall built the team virtually from scratch. Bigger achievement in my eyes.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
At Blackburn he bought big and it paid off. Well done, great achievement but that team wasn't built, it was bought. Liverpool were hardly in the doldrums in 88. I just did a quick google to check the team out. Grobbelaar, Nicol, Hansen, Lawrenson, Staunton, McMahon, Whelan, Houghton, Wark, Molby, Barnes, Dalglish, Rush, Beardsley, Aldridge were there and immediately stood out. Most of them had been there for a good while. Liverpool during the 80's evolved every year, no big rebuilding job required. With the back room staff there the side ran itself. Brilliant set up.

I feel a "google off" coming on

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com

Or you could argue Kenny took over a well oiled machine that had its own way of doing things, a proven system of success and promoting from within that dominated football for decades and left it in the toilet.

Both appear valid

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
United had about 3pens against them at OT over 10 seasons, in Moyes' season they had 4 in 1 season!!

You're right we haven't been good enough to win the league but we've won a European cup though :thup:

that's because he told the Cb's to study Jagielka DVD's to teach them how to defend..... ;)

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is this the pay off of moving from a style of solid, direct football from the back with an emphasis on good defensive structure to a team with more expansive players who want to do more on the ball? It was a culture shock and was probably going to happen eventually. I think Stoke will turn it around and be comfortably midtable by the end of the season but it must be worrying to be leaking 3-4 goals seemingly every week!

something like that mate. I totally understand that with a more attacking and 'footballing' approach becomes more chance of conceding goals. However the goals we are conceding are unacceptable.

We look totally shot of confidence and the players look like they don't have a clue what their roles are both individually and as a team. They don't look like they trust the player next to them nor trust the managers ethos or gameplan.

We've got to address the defensive issues first because we've got enough talent to score goals.
2 home games this week so hopefully restore against confidence. WBA at home next week is a huge game and i'm not particularly looking forward to it.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyway, let's get back to Ferguson, his record in Europe was poor considering the amount of times they qualified for the CL or where they like Arsenal, there to make the numbers up?

Despite the domestic dominance.
Can't argue with that other that a little hampered to start with whilst the forgieners rule was in place but TBF he was tactically out thought on quite a few occasions.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just a quick question - do you think Rooney gets reffereed the same as all other premiership players, or are allowances made for him in the way that he can berate refs 10-15 times a game, and still never get booked for dissent?

Can one of them please send him and give a 6-10 match ban soon!!!!!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Despite the domestic dominance.
Can't argue with that other that a little hampered to start with whilst the forgieners rule was in place but TBF he was tactically out thought on quite a few occasions.

Alex himself in his book says he wishes he won more C/L titles and by the sounds of it that's his biggest disappointment.

How some people say they never rated him though is just plain stupid.

Hope the Hockey season starts soon

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Look at the number of games and the quality of opposition Liverpool faced when they were in the European Cup in the 70s and 80s. You could win it by playing only one or two tough opponents in the whole campaign. The CL is much more difficult to win as can be shown by no team yet retaining it and Barca not truly converting their dominance into more CL victories.

The European Cup and the Champions League are not directly comparable in my opinion if you look at the demands and structure of them.

D

Deleted member 15344

Kenny - took over after the Heysel disaster with the club in a bit of a mess after Joe resigned , the club took a big risk appointing Kenny as player manager and Bob was brought in to help him but he was the manager and he took the club to their first ever double - that's something that no manager will ever do again

The next season they had a dip due to aging players and was the first in a while were we didn't win anything and we lost Rush who left to Juve so Kenny went out and bought a lot of very good players - Barnes , Beardsley , Aldridge ( was bought before Rush in the Jan ) , Houghton , McMahon and IMO produced prob the best team seen in the this country - the football being played was out of this world and the 5 nil stuffing is prob one of the best games I have ever seen. He won two titles with that team as well as having to deal with Hillsborough. Team should have won also in 89 but too many games just took their toil

He then came back into football with Blackburn and bought some very good players and took the team from Div 1 to win the title with his second team - don't believe anyone else has won the league with two different teams

Even a decade later he came back and won another trophy with us

So he not only broke records as a player he did so as a manager and records that won't be touched . He also produced IMO one of the best teams in the history of English Football

So yes I'll have him above Kendall every day of the week

Status
Not open for further replies.