And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 16999

I dont buy into this "1 place better than last season is progress", malarkey.

If the team have underperformed in the previous season, I dont think thats progress.

Chelsea finish champions, then tenth, so is 9th really progress with the squad that they have? They should still be aiming at 3rd or fourth.

Everton were mis-managed last season, so should 1 place higher be seen as acceptable?

It also depends on what others do around you, but was West Ham's a freak season, Leicester too?

I think in the middle of the table, 3-4 places higher for good teams should be seen as progress. OK up the top is a bit harder, but one place higher for Chelsea and Everton - sorry should be expecting more.
Doesn't really matter what you buy into, the "experts" on BT Sport are talking about 7th or 8th being realistic, the difference 10th or 6th could be 1 or 2 games, so instead of being unrealistic I am happy to see progress on the pitch over a few seasons, the last 2 seasons were shocking, not just last season.
Obviously 1-9 would be better than 10th but don't want what we've had with Martinez 5th then 2 11's, In 2 seasons I'd like to see us as solid contenders for top 4 rather than the boom and bust.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
do you actually read what you post lol or do you just write stuff that fits what Wenger is currently doing?

cant see anyone paying more than £20m for coquelin (and would be over priced at that), as for buying a £35m midfielder as a squad player ROFL would be the worst use of £35m ever

Ill have a large one of what youre drinking and a pair of the tinted glasses plse :)

Figure it out for yourself. Coquelin is keeping a £35M player out of the team.

If Coquelin would leave it would cost Arsenal £35M at least to replace him with a player of equal or better ability. Not withstanding his age and international future with France.

I make my own mind up and I believe Coquelin is an amazing player. Did you watch him against PSG the other week?

D

Deleted member 15344

If Coquelin would leave it would cost Arsenal £35M at least to replace him with a player of equal or better ability. Not withstanding his age and international future with France.

I make my own mind up and I believe Coquelin is an amazing player. Did you watch him against PSG the other week?

Amazing player ? Why isn't he in the French squad ? He is 25 with zero caps , he doesn't score goals , doesn't set up goals , picks up a lot of bookings

The minute Wenger thinks Xhaka is ready he will be the team and Coquelin will be on the bench. £35mil player ?! Not in a million years

I know I post with Liverpool bias but you trump everyone but not with club bias but Wenger bias

Last edited by a moderator:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

amazing player? clumsy holding midfielder, often booked early in games, not overly powerful or quick, doesnt create or score goals, doesnt lead or set the tempo, what does he do thats "amazing"? - think we may have to agree to disagree here lolol

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Oh I do love this forum. Heskey once destroyed Germany and wilshere had a good game against barca once. Using one game to evaluate a player is foolish.

If we go by your logic does that mean all players are simply valued by the rest on the bench? Barca coukd make a fortune benching Messi once in a while and then selling his replacement......

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Doesn't really matter what you buy into, the "experts" on BT Sport are talking about 7th or 8th being realistic, the difference 10th or 6th could be 1 or 2 games, so instead of being unrealistic I am happy to see progress on the pitch over a few seasons, the last 2 seasons were shocking, not just last season.
Obviously 1-9 would be better than 10th but don't want what we've had with Martinez 5th then 2 11's, In 2 seasons I'd like to see us as solid contenders for top 4 rather than the boom and bust.

Ok then, would you feel progress had been made and Everton finishing tenth, amd lets say Swansea, Palace, Hull finished above you?

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Quite some mental gymnastics to have to defend every decision of someone else!

Coquelin got the job done today and often does, lets not be silly and pretend him - or the nearly 32 year old cazorla - would be bought for £35 million

D

Deleted member 1740

Quite some mental gymnastics to have to defend every decision of someone else!

Coquelin got the job done today and often does, lets not be silly and pretend him - or the nearly 32 year old cazorla - would be bought for £35 million

Spot on

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Everton may not have played the top teams yet but you can only beat what's in front of you and they've done that. Winning builds confidence, it allows the new players to bed in and it sets us up for the tougher matches to come. It's not just that we've won but how we've won. Happy days at Goodison 🙌

D

Deleted member 16999

Ok then, would you feel progress had been made and Everton finishing tenth, amd lets say Swansea, Palace, Hull finished above you?
Doesn't matter who finishes above us, if they get more points then good luck to them, the table doesn't lie at the end of the season, My heart says we we can win the league, my head says be realistic 8-10 this season, following season 6-8 then 4-6,
We were 13 points of you's in 8th, massive gap to make up, but only 4 off 9th.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We were 13 points of you's in 8th, massive gap to make up, but only 4 off 9th.

Nothing counts until 10 games in.;)

Apart from Spurs on the opening day, your first 10 games arent the hardest I've ever seen (on paper), but the're all worth 3 points. You must have a glut of the bigger fish to come in the months after, I presume. That said I still think you can give anyone a game at Goodison, on your day.

D

Deleted member 16999

Nothing counts until 10 games in.;)

Apart from Spurs on the opening day, your first 10 games arent the hardest I've ever seen (on paper), but the're all worth 3 points. You must have a glut of the bigger fish to come in the months after, I presume. That said I still think you can give anyone a game at Goodison, on your day.
Exactly, but going on last season we lost some shockers, long way to go and after the misery of last season really don't want to get carried away, not sure we have another goalscorer if Lukaku gets injured, big bonus is Ashley Williams and Gueye.
Your issue like I said to Stu, you's have had no problem in recent seasons turning up for the big games (City last season etc) and failing with the lesser clubs.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Exactly, but going on last season we lost some shockers, long way to go and after the misery of last season really don't want to get carried away, not sure we have another goalscorer if Lukaku gets injured, big bonus is Ashley Williams and Gueye.
Your issue like I said to Stu, you's have had no problem in recent seasons turning up for the big games (City last season etc) and failing with the lesser clubs.

Your right on Lukaku, as in, if he got injured.

Also on us against the lesser lights. The thing is the bigger teams will generally give you more space to play in, as they will always attack you.

If I was a Hull,I would sit deep, pack the defence and look to hit us on the break, or just wait for set pieces against us, as we're still poor at defending them.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't and never have rated Sterling but have to admit that some of what he did today was outstanding particularly one run with the ball that took him past 4 or 5 defenders.

On another note the ref in the Arsenal v Hull game looked poor. Not convinced by the red card for the Hull player. Especially when the ref managed to do as much as possible not to send Cazorla off. And how he didn't see the penalty for Hull and had to be told by the assistant was ridiculous.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lee Mason proving that there was more than one shocking referee on display today. Both teams first goal in the Everton v Boro match could and almost certainly should have been ruled out for fouls on the keeper.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pep may well be but sterling will never be a natural striker of a football. Somehow scuffed one in today. Lol just as well he is quick.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pep may well be but sterling will never be a natural striker of a football. Somehow scuffed one in today. Lol just as well he is quick.

I agree mate, but neither was Michael Owen.

With the pace and trickery he showed today, it doesnt matter if your not a pure striker of a ball, if most of your shots are from 10-15 years out.

Status
Not open for further replies.