And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1740

I never really rated SAF until that last season. How he won the league with that squad. Genius. And it was him, no one else. He dragged them over the line. The worst United squad ever, and he made them win it.

I don't agree. It wasn't just skill that won them that league, that lot had a 12pt head start every season on refereeing decisions alone.

It wasnt a coincidence that refs gave more pens against them in Moyes' season than they'd had in the previous 10yrs.

That season they won the league with RVP went totally against Ferguson's style, he knew he couldn't rebuild the defence so he went and bought an aging striker who he knew would score 25+ goals but had no real future or resale value and adopted the style of "we'll score more than you".

He's the reason they're struggling now, 2managers have taken the blame yet his ego still gets massaged week in week out. He loves it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I don't agree. It wasn't just skill that won them that league, that lot had a 12pt head start every season on refereeing decisions alone.

It wasnt a coincidence that refs gave more pens against them in Moyes' season than they'd had in the previous 10yrs.

That season they won the league with RVP went totally against Ferguson's style, he knew he couldn't rebuild the defence so he went and bought an aging striker who he knew would score 25+ goals but had no real future or resale value and adopted the style of "we'll score more than you".

Sounding a little green there fella.

Maybe they faced less pens because they spent so much of a game attacking!

as to RVP, he played 442 for 20 years then changed when it stopped working. He signed him to win and did so. If that's not the sign of a good manager I don't know what is.

Last edited:

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Yes because it's that simple 🤔

Can't believe no one at Liverpool have thought of doing this for the last 26 years 😣

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Have you been watching football for the last 20yrs?

Yes, just about old enough to remember your last title. Granted spent most of it watching us survive. But I've seen ALL of the title pl winners, as well as Liverpool get far more than (it evening itself out). Suggesting UTD won simply due to a 12 point start is ridiculous. Even if it were true at the end (which it wasn't). How did they get to that point? Surely that was fergies skill to have dominated so much?

D

Deleted member 1740

Yes, just about old enough to remember your last title. Granted spent most of it watching us survive. But I've seen ALL of the title pl winners, as well as Liverpool get far more than (it evening itself out). Suggesting UTD won simply due to a 12 point start is ridiculous. Even if it were true at the end (which it wasn't). How did they get to that point? Surely that was fergies skill to have dominated so much?

Our last title doesn't matter, that was before football was invented :rolleyes:

So you can't remember decisions going yerniteds way week In week out?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...s-against-Manchester-United-Old-Trafford.html

Apologies for the daily mail link.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Our last title doesn't matter, that was before football was invented :rolleyes:

So you can't remember decisions going yerniteds way week In week out?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...s-against-Manchester-United-Old-Trafford.html

Apologies for the daily mail link.

For the record I mentioned your last win simply to enthasise I had watched football Pre fergie.
so you're entire argument is based on a retired ref who was trying to sell column inches.

I remember big clubs getting lots of decisions. As a saints fan, many were against us. But, considering their dominance for almost all the premiership duration. I find their total of penalties for and against hardly looks exaggerated.

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Premier_League_Penalty_Statistics.html

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1740

so you're entire argument is based on a retired ref who was trying to sell column inches.

I remember big clubs getting lots of decisions. As a saints fan, many were against us. But, considering their dominance for almost all the premiership duration. I find their total of penalties for and against hardly looks exaggerated.

No. My point is made with what I saw in that period, I wasn't watching league 1 football at the time neither.

Example, that season they won the league, United v Stoke at Stoke, Neville had fouled etherington that was well worthy of a yellow card but because he'd only just been booked, Marriner bottled it and never booked him, Ferguson subbed him not long after and they won the game 2-1. Those type of decisions were more frequent and went for them, very rarely against them. There's your 12pts a season.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
For the record I mentioned your last win simply to enthasise I had watched football Pre fergie.

Loughborough university did a study of all the 50 50 decisions at old Trafford, over aI think it was a15 year period and 82 % of them were given Uniteds way, so not just a retired referee.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
No. My point is made with what I saw in that period, I wasn't watching league 1 football at the time neither.

Example, that season they won the league, United v Stoke at Stoke, Neville had fouled etherington that was well worthy of a yellow card but because he'd only just been booked, Marriner bottled it and never booked him, Ferguson subbed him not long after and they won the game 2-1. Those type of decisions were more frequent and went for them, very rarely against them. There's your 12pts a season.

The fact you can remember incidents from a meaningless 2-1 between two sides neither of whom you support, IMO shows as much for your impressive knowledge as it does your strong dislike and willingness to find fault at whatever you can to back up an anti Utd stance.

UTD were the best team in the league for many seasons. All good teams have their share of luck, but the best teams win the league.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I never felt more like singing the blues, City win Utd lose,
oh City you got me singing the blues.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Loughborough university did a study of all the 50 50 decisions at old Trafford, over aI think it was a15 year period and 82 % of them were given Uniteds way, so not just a retired referee.

did they do the same study for Liverpool, Chelsea, and Arsenal? Because as a supporter of a small team I can tell you. We faced as many shocking decisions against all the big clubs.

D

Deleted member 16999

1977 Cup Semi, penalty not given, Clive Thomas......end of 😃

D

Deleted member 1740

The fact you can remember incidents from a meaningless 2-1 between two sides neither of whom you support, IMO shows as much for your impressive knowledge as it does your strong dislike and willingness to find fault at whatever you can to back up an anti Utd stance.

UTD were the best team in the league for many seasons. All good teams have their share of luck, but the best teams win the league.

I've backed my opinion up with a fact and it's all because of my dislike for United? :rofl:

That last season United won the league was probably the most gung Ho United side I've ever seen and they conceded more goals than they've ever conceded when they've won the title. The season they lost the the league to city on goal difference Ferguson was livid and his response was to adopt keegans tactics. Why didn't he rebuild a whole new defence? Because he knew he didn't have time to do that.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So has the Maureen magic finally gone and will he get the Spanish archer like LvG if results don't pick up. Three bad results in a week clearly doesn't make it a disaster, but he's not got them playing that well and they still look a long, long way off being a consistent side capable of grinding out ugly 1-0 wins which is what Spurs and others seem to be getting better at.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
did they do the same study for Liverpool, Chelsea, and Arsenal? Because as a supporter of a small team I can tell you. We faced as many shocking decisions against all the big clubs.

When Citeh were a small club, some of the decisions that went against us were shocking. We were kicked when we were down. It was not just Yoonited though. When Missis T started goin to the football with me, we went to watch City v Chelsea. She WAS in love with Frank Lampard the great floozie. Anyway it lasted about 30 seconds. lampard, Cole, Terry, the gamesmanship and blatant cheating, hounding of refs was disgusting. Them and Younited were disgusting. No one is going to convince me it only happend v City.

I said this the other night when I watched the MUTV Comedy channel. The fans were not happy with the style of football. It is just not happening for them😂 Yet? The thoughts of other supporters re Utd are that quite frankly they are dire, proper dire and other teams supporters could not be happier. Most clubs now smell blood when playing Utd. That fear factor of playing Utd has gone. Utd now find themselves in the same position as every team in the premier league that decisions go against you. Me at the moment, am loving seeing Utd and there fans squirm. What comes around goes around.

Status
Not open for further replies.