And, we're off.....2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Brian, fantastic result with hindsight, saw the 1st half highlights and watched the 2nd half, it wasn't a good team performance, without Ospina and poor finishing it could've easily been 3/4 - 0.
No manager could set up a team deliberately for that.
Hopefully tonight we'll see the other 3 win.

Lots of managers have started away games without a striker, packing midfield or adding a 5th defender. Their intention being not to concede a goal, and maybe sneak a win. It's not a team/formation set up to win, it's set up not to lose, ergo a draw.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The formation was no different to playing an out and out striker up front. It was just the wrong player in that position.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He belongs to Sunderland now. Problem is they don't seem to have another striker that actually scores. Can he play every game, can he keep fit? His record for injuries is good but it is asking a lot for the whole burden to be on him at his age.

Seeing Stokie reply made me think. Sunderland should go to Stoke and ask for Crouch on loan. Back to little and large, Defoe and Crouch - Quinn and Philips. That would make sense to me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Lots of managers have started away games without a striker, packing midfield or adding a 5th defender. Their intention being not to concede a goal, and maybe sneak a win. It's not a team/formation set up to win, it's set up not to lose, ergo a draw.

It wasn't the formation they were awful and got a great result.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Arsenal got a draw despite the initial set up not because of it. Ospina had a blinder and Cavani an utter shocker, Ibra wouldve scored 3 maybe 4 in Cavani's shoes last night.

A very lucky point papers over cracks that nothing has changed and that we wont be competing with the best in the CL yet again.

Giving Wenger credit for last night is frankly laughable imo, best you could give him is he corrected some of his initial mistakes

D

Deleted member 16999

I think that is hugely optimistic. If they stay up and keep Moyes then I can see that for next season. I'm not sure he can save them this year, even at this early stage. Which, minimum, five teams are worse than Sunderland?
Aren't judging them against 5 worse teams, just think he'll get them solid and getting results. Not getting a win in the first few games is no different to the last 6 seasons.

D

Deleted member 16999

Arsenal got a draw despite the initial set up not because of it. Ospina had a blinder and Cavani an utter shocker, Ibra wouldve scored 3 maybe 4 in Cavani's shoes last night.

A very lucky point papers over cracks that nothing has changed and that we wont be competing with the best in the CL yet again.

Giving Wenger credit for last night is frankly laughable imo, best you could give him is he corrected some of his initial mistakes
Very fair, I'd love any of the English teams to win the CL or EL, but as you say last night was a lucky point.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aren't judging them against 5 worse teams, just think he'll get them solid and getting results. Not getting a win in the first few games is no different to the last 6 seasons.

Problem is that they look poor and so to stay up, like past years, they are relying on teams being worse than them rather than them being better than other teams. I agree he will tighten them up but I'm not sure the players he has are up to it.
Where are the goals outside of Defoe? It is one thing to rev up a team for a relegation battle at the end of a season, it is another to get a poor bunch going from the start. Plenty of managers have come in recently and saved them only to be sacked half way through the next season.

I see West Brom being down there, Burnley and Hull will not be far off but I don't see any of those having a total nightmare.

I have seen the stat about not winning in Aug/Sept since 2012 but you can't keep doing that and hope to get away with it.

D

Deleted member 16999

It's way too early to judge, once he's got the players buying into how he works they'll kick on.

D

Deleted member 16999

Good results for City and Leicester tonight, disappointed with Spurs result, hopefully not to much damage in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.